Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-22-2024, 02:22 PM

Default A plan for my upcoming moose hunt... It might work.

Going hunting ...

I got myself a cow moose tag for one of the 200 zones. Good on me. I love hunting moose as I always figure that if I put in the time and have some luck I just might find me one of those critters.

I am no longer in the first flush of youth. I can remember the last buffalo herds. Or think that I can.

Not being a fan of injuring myself dragging out a moose I think that I am going up a few days early, finding some farmer or hunter and try and talk them into being my new hunting companion.

Better yet, if the nimrod has a family to feed .. I always share with my partners.

I have shot most of moose 90 minutes from my home and when I have gunned a moose I could always phone a friend (they do not answer my calls these days) and get an ATV or whatever.

This zone is about five or six hours away so it is always tough to get a local chap who has the time to wander around with a rifle and a deer tag who wishes to put up with me.

Anyways, that is my plan and it the creek don't rise I will report back in November and let you all know if I get to eat 1/2 of a delicous moose or will be relegated to beef, pork chops and gruel.

Good hunting to you all!!
Old 08-24-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
Going hunting ...

I got myself a cow moose tag for one of the 200 zones. Good on me. I love hunting moose as I always figure that if I put in the time and have some luck I just might find me one of those critters.

I am no longer in the first flush of youth. I can remember the last buffalo herds. Or think that I can.

Not being a fan of injuring myself dragging out a moose I think that I am going up a few days early, finding some farmer or hunter and try and talk them into being my new hunting companion.

Better yet, if the nimrod has a family to feed .. I always share with my partners.

I have shot most of moose 90 minutes from my home and when I have gunned a moose I could always phone a friend (they do not answer my calls these days) and get an ATV or whatever.

This zone is about five or six hours away so it is always tough to get a local chap who has the time to wander around with a rifle and a deer tag who wishes to put up with me.

Anyways, that is my plan and it the creek don't rise I will report back in November and let you all know if I get to eat 1/2 of a delicous moose or will be relegated to beef, pork chops and gruel.

Good hunting to you all!!
Good luck Scruffy! My back hurts thinking about it
Old 08-25-2024, 11:33 AM

Default That's ironic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post

Better yet, if the nimrod has a family to feed...

..when I have gunned a moose I could always phone a friend (they do not answer my calls these days)...

You're not gonna get any help by insulting & calling people names before you even talk to or meet them.

Maybe your "friends" are onto something...

Old 08-25-2024, 11:49 AM

Default Smh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
You're not gonna get any help by insulting & calling people names before you even talk to or meet them.

That's hilarious! You don't actually understand what he said, yet you feel the need to be offended by it.
Keep up the good work.

FTR
Nimrod is synonymous with great hunter...no matter what pop culture thought Bugs Bunny said.

His friends are likely as old as him, with limited physical ability to pack a moose over rough terrain.

Therefore, he needs a younger nimrod with a strong back who is willing to participate in the hunt and trade labour for moose meat.

scruffy can let us know if I missed anything.
Good luck on the moose hunt scruffy.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-26-2024, 08:00 AM

Default Moose

Yes, and thank you Urban Redneck. I reckon that it is a given that you should never ever insult the chap who volunteers to cook in a hunting camp or ever do the same to the kindly person who wishes to help drag out your moose ... Cheers ...
Old 08-26-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
That's hilarious! You don't actually understand what he said, yet you feel the need to be offended by it.
Keep up the good work.
You should maybe take your own advice and re-read my post... Comprehension is the key.

Nowhere did I say or imply that I was "offended". Clearly you are though !
Old 08-26-2024, 10:31 AM

Go meet the farmers you will have permission with and then let them know your up and in the area when the hunt comes. I suspect a nice front end loader tractor will mysteriously arrive before you can begin the gutting process .

Good luck with the hunt
Old 08-27-2024, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post

Considering how many hilarious books Scruffy has written I’d think that his superior vocabulary has fooled you. Incidentally not many people have had a lifetime of hunting experiences like Ol’ Scruffy has. If I was going to be around I’d be honoured to help out. Alas….work….bills…
Old 08-27-2024, 10:16 PM

No doubt Scruffy is a diamond that looks like coal.

Sad for those that are too internal to recognize the difference.

Wish I could be there to help you Scruffy, but your travels are out of my range.
I know you'll figure it out. Have fun!

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 08-27-2024, 11:25 PM

What 200 zone? I stumble around in a couple of them but there are quite a fee more. My wife has a cow...OK antlerless( that should make elk happy)... moose draw in a 200 zone as well. In the right zone and once she gets her tag filled, I might have a weak enough mind or at least a stronger back to be of some service.
Old 08-30-2024, 09:48 AM

Default Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
No doubt Scruffy is a diamond that looks like coal.

Sad for those that are too internal to recognize the difference.

Wish I could be there to help you Scruffy, but your travels are out of my range.
I know you'll figure it out. Have fun!
I have been laughing for about three days after reading this.

CalgaryChef ... send me a pm with a mailing address and I will send you a copy of my latest book, ' I Search for Adventure .. and apple strudel.' There is a German bakery in a little town called Outjo in Northern Namibia that makes amazing apple strudel. We had our own hunting camp for many years about an hour drive from there.

My zone that I got drawn for antlerless moose is actually 200.

'Tight lines and straight shooting !' as Ted Peck used to say long ago...

Tags
moose