Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM

Default New bow, New bow hunter, have some questions

I bought a new matthews z7 and love it so far. Shooting 60# @ 59" with Maxima 350's. I am shooting decent groups with field points and am very happy with my accuracy at 20 yards. I need some broadheads for hunting and need to be ready to go for September 1st. I have no idea what broadhead to get as ive read so many different things good and bad about many different kinds. I want to get a broadhead that will work well but fly somewhat the same as my fieldpoint. I know its basically inevitable that I will need to tweak my sights when i put a broadhead on but the problem im having is since I would have to move my sights once I put on a broadhead it means I would have to buy an outdoor target and do it myself. I have not moved my own sights yet as they did it for me when i bought my bow and got me all dialed in. It doesn't seem hard and I am willing to tackle it myself but want some insight on good outdoor targets that will be broadhead friendly and not mess up my broadheads. I am not interested in shooting field points at the range very often as this will strictly be a hunting bow, so im wanting to dial it in for a specific broadhead and leave it that way. Now that you may be confused to what my questions are I will list them.

What outdoor targets are broadhead friendly and recommended that are not too pricey?

Is it safe to shoot broadheads at these targets without worry of them bending or breaking?

What broadhead does everyone recommend, i was set on a mechanical rage 2 blade until i started reading negative reviews on them. It was said they would fly like a fieldpoint and wouldent need much if any resighting.. i would rather resight and have a trusted broadhead that I will use for years to come. Fixed or mechanical etc?

Thanks in advance, im very comfortable shooting the bow and am confident at 20 yards, i will be limiting my shots this season to 20 yards until I get more confident shooting farther. Im coming from being a long time rifle hunting and am used to hunting just need some tips! thx guys.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:52 PM

Rinehart 18-1 target is great for broadheads. Guaranteed for a year. I shot out my bag target in 4 months using just field points. What is your definition of not too pricey? Don't leave peices of your arrow or broadheads in the target and you should have no problems with most fixed broadheads. Or get the practice broadheads if going with mechanicals.
THis will be my first season of hunting with a bow also. I picked up some Montec CS and Grim Reapers. Hope to find out which will suit me the best. I will probably try the Reapers from the tree stand and the CS while in the blind.
Lots of different opions on broadheads so do some reading here or talk to some archers you know and then make a choice.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackdays View Post
I bought a new matthews z7 and love it so far. Shooting 60# @ 59".
59" Yikes, how long are your arms?
Old 08-12-2012, 07:12 PM

I had good success with the Cabelas copperheads 100 grains. They are relatively cheap, pretty darn sharp, and fly nice and straight out of my bow! Shot a buck at 52 yards last year with them.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
59" Yikes, how long are your arms?
maybe I am wrong on the length... i thought he told me 59" but i could be wrong. I do have long arms but by the sound of your comment im probably wrong. Ill get that checked out next time im back in the shop So fixed broadheads sound like the way to go for a strictly hunting bow? Ill do some more research and just pick one. 3 blade sound to be the more popular broadhead. I also should have mentioned I will be using the same broadhead from moose to elk to deer. I imagine that shoulden't matter but just in case, thanks for the comments so far. Ill be picking up a target here to do some tuning before season opener with whichever broadhead i choose. But from what ive read so far the grim reapers sound pretty deadly!
Old 08-12-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
maybe I am wrong on the length... i thought he told me 59" but i could be wrong. I do have long arms but by the sound of your comment im probably wrong. Ill get that checked out next time im back in the shop So fixed broadheads sound like the way to go for a strictly hunting bow? Ill do some more research and just pick one. 3 blade sound to be the more popular broadhead. I also should have mentioned I will be using the same broadhead from moose to elk to deer. I imagine that shoulden't matter but just in case, thanks for the comments so far. Ill be picking up a target here to do some tuning before season opener with whichever broadhead i choose. But from what ive read so far the grim reapers sound pretty deadly!
29 would likely be the length....most draw length are between 27 and 31 for an Adult.

If your bow is perfectly tuned and you have great form and you are keeping shots close without wind being a factor fixed broadheads are great in a 3 or 4 blade configuration.

If your bow is not perfectly tuned, form and anchor points not all settled in, might be hunting in open areas where wind can be a factor.....I would pick a good mechanical head IMHO.

LC
Old 08-12-2012, 07:37 PM

29" sounds much better Thanks for bearing with a newbie. As confident as I am with my shooting so far I probably should go with a mechanical from what you are saying. I am sure there is a ton of room for me to improve on stance, anchor points, etc. Can anyone chime in on some reliable mechanical broadheads that I could narrow down my search to? Rage 2 blade has mixed reviews. Another silly question, do the practice heads for mechanical broadheads fly the exact same as the real ones? And are mechanical broadheads prone to breaking in targets while tuning them? I will want to be able to use them for hunting after tuning from the target. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Had this discussion today with a buddy.....3 blade mechanical trumps a 2 blade mechanical any day of the week....

2 blade = a slit
3 blade = 3 flaps

a flap will bleed more than a slit

Inorder for a slit to start bleeding and continue to bleed....it requires pressure from the inside out to maintain flow.

A flap once opened will likely continue to stay open for a much longer time frame.....as long as you are shooting with enough KE penetration with a 3 blade shouldn't suffer.

After having used both 2 blade and 3 blade heads I will stick to the 3 blades hands down....IMHO.

LC
Old 08-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I bought a new matthews z7 and love it so far. Shooting 60# @ 59" with Maxima 350's. I am shooting decent groups with field points and am very happy with my accuracy at 20 yards. I need some broadheads for hunting and need to be ready to go for September 1st. I have no idea what broadhead to get as ive read so many different things good and bad about many different kinds. I want to get a broadhead that will work well but fly somewhat the same as my fieldpoint. I know its basically inevitable that I will need to tweak my sights when i put a broadhead on but the problem im having is since I would have to move my sights once I put on a broadhead it means I would have to buy an outdoor target and do it myself. I have not moved my own sights yet as they did it for me when i bought my bow and got me all dialed in. It doesn't seem hard and I am willing to tackle it myself but want some insight on good outdoor targets that will be broadhead friendly and not mess up my broadheads. I am not interested in shooting field points at the range very often as this will strictly be a hunting bow, so im wanting to dial it in for a specific broadhead and leave it that way. Now that you may be confused to what my questions are I will list them.

What outdoor targets are broadhead friendly and recommended that are not too pricey?
Is it safe to shoot broadheads at these targets without worry of them bending or breaking?

What broadhead does everyone recommend, i was set on a mechanical rage 2 blade until i started reading negative reviews on them. It was said they would fly like a fieldpoint and wouldent need much if any resighting.. i would rather resight and have a trusted broadhead that I will use for years to come. Fixed or mechanical etc?

Thanks in advance, im very comfortable shooting the bow and am confident at 20 yards, i will be limiting my shots this season to 20 yards until I get more confident shooting farther. Im coming from being a long time rifle hunting and am used to hunting just need some tips! thx guys.
rinehart 18-1 is wicked awesome for bh!! I would use a fixed such as the montec! Work great for me!! Mech bh are prone to fail! Seen them not open up, or only one blade.....
Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Broadheads need to be razor sharp. Once inside the target a few times they need to either be resharpened or have the blades changed. I buy 2 packs when I buy broadheads. Dedicate 1 pack for practice and use the other for hunting.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Great advice on seperate broadheads for targets to tune in, and seperate ones for hunting. Thanks for all the advice thus far everyone.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:27 AM

After researching all night ive decided to go with the slicktricks 100grain standards and Rinehart 18-1 target. Thanks again everyone for the tips and pointers!
Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM

Original glendel buck and slick trick broadhead
Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 AM

I gotta say, SHUTTLE T'S have impressed me this year.. shot them beside 3 other broad heards and they were the best. only out by 3 inch's at 60 yards.. thats prety damn good if you ask me.
Rob
Old 08-21-2012, 07:40 PM

Go fixed 3 blade and something ecomomical, especially for a new shooter.

New bow hunter = wanting to take shots = missed shots = lost arrows = $$$

Also don't go outside you effective "comfortable" range. You owe it to the animal.
I try to encourage fellow archers; but to pick up a bow, sling a few broadheads through it and head out hunting...not quite right to this guy. Ensure you are well practised and very confident in yourself before heading afeild.

When I started I practiced from spring to fall as a beginner... and didn't get a shot I was confident with my first year. That being said patience is everything...

Good luck!