Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-30-2021, 09:03 PM

Default Cleaning regimen needs improvement

Current rifles are fairly new, 2 & 1 year old. I cleaned them using a basic cleaning set with wipeout and G96. Everything seemed fine. I upgraded to a Tipton one piece rod and brass jag along with a bore guide and got to using them this time.

After shooting I typically clean my rifles, just a preference. Last time out I didn’t clean the rifles, and I was gonna go shooting again shortly so no big deal, only sent 30 down range. Shooting on Sunday was great, so on Sunday night I went to clean them using the new setup. Everything was looking good, copper fouling was gone, but since this single piece rod is free floated it can actually follow the rifling. It’s getting black streaks on the patch in both rifles after several cycles.

So I try to leave the wipeout in for longer, 60 minute intervals. I repeat this 4 times. It’s getting better, but there is still carbon present, just getting fainter, slowly. So I leave the wipeout in the barrels overnight and resume in the morning. Nope, still faint black left behind.

So clearly the original way I was cleaning wasn’t working out well lol.

I searched online and found many different answers, most of which seem fine. However, none of them involved Wipeout. I know a lot of guys here are using Wipeout with great success, but I’m curious if anybody is using a specific carbon remover to supplement their cleaning regimen? Everything online suggested using nylon bristles with a carbon solvent and lots of elbow grease!

All suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2021, 09:36 PM

Wipe-Out does an ok job of removing carbon as you're seeing with the black streaks on the patches. But you'll get much quicker results using Carb-Out which is made by the same company.
There are others out there that are specific for removing carbon as well, but I haven't tried them.
Old 08-30-2021, 09:51 PM

I clean the fouling out with Mercury Quicksilver Power Tune or Amzoil Foaming Engine Cleaner. I spray it I and work it back and forth with a loose patch , then a wet patch.
I then let it sit for an hour, and patch it out .
I then spray in the Wipeout and leave it in overnight, and patch it out the next morning .
Scoping the bore usually reveals a clean bore .
Cat
Old 08-31-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I clean the fouling out with Mercury Quicksilver Power Tune or Amzoil Foaming Engine Cleaner. I spray it I and work it back and forth with a loose patch , then a wet patch.
I then let it sit for an hour, and patch it out .
I then spray in the Wipeout and leave it in overnight, and patch it out the next morning .
Scoping the bore usually reveals a clean bore .
Cat
For your .22LR barrels do you just scrub the carbon ring out and then do something else to the barrel? Or clean the chamber and barrel down to bare metal? Or something else?

I have been scrubbing out the carbon ring and then just running a couple dry patches through. It seems to work ok for accuracy. Is there a better way?

Last edited by Buckhead; 08-31-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2021, 12:58 PM

I was told the other day! From a gun shop, that Canada will not receive Wipeout anymore! As it requires French to be on the Container!
And they (wipeout ) will not do that! Cost $$$$$$.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
For your .22LR barrels do you just scrub the carbon ring out and then do something else to the barrel? Or clean the chamber and barrel down to bare metal? Or something else?

I have been scrubbing out the carbon ring and then just running a couple dry patches through. It seems to work ok for accuracy. Is there a better way?
Yup, make sure the carbon ring is gone and check the barrel fir build up.
Amzoil or Mercury Power Tune does a great job fir that
Cat
Old 08-31-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
I was told the other day! From a gun shop, that Canada will not receive Wipeout anymore! As it requires French to be on the Container!
And they (wipeout ) will not do that! Cost $$$$$$.
IIRC the last can of Wipeout I bought had a separate French label attached
Cat
Old 08-31-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
IIRC the last can of Wipeout I bought had a separate French label attached
Cat
Good to know! Thanks!
Old 08-31-2021, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Another person said I should maybe try using a nylon brush with the wipeout, apparently they do that and it works well for them. Might be the only thing I need to do differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2021, 08:56 AM

I use Wipeout
Was finding the same issue so purchased some nylon brushes.
Use Wipeout with Accelerator, let soak for at least two hours, longer if I have something else to do
Patch the barrel
Brush with the nylon brush
Reapply Wipeout with Accelerator leave soak for at least an hour and patch
Normally that does it, but may be required a third time

Oh yeah, and get a non-brass jag
Old 09-01-2021, 09:00 AM

I use Butch's or Shooters Choice for carbon, and KG-12 for copper. This combination is fast and effective.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:08 AM

Default My $0.02

Wipeout is a great product, but it can't hold a candle to Gunslick Ultra-Klenz when it comes to dissolving carbon deposits. Night and day difference in effectiveness. I'm sure there are other carbon specific cleaners that won't require multi-hour cleaning jobs.
Use the right tool for the job also applies to chemicals.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-06-2021, 07:04 PM

Sea foam makes a product deep creep which is very good at removing carbon