Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2018, 01:10 PM

Default Rattling with pack rack

Does anyone here have experience rattling with a pack rack? I have the Knight and Hale, they are super packable, I picked them up last year after the set of sheds I normally use disappeared.

I'm not sure they sound as convincing, but they are packable and I'm usually a few kms off the road so I don't mind the simplicity.

Any had any luck with the synthetic rattling systems?
Old 10-29-2018, 01:23 PM

I’ve rattled in a several deer with them. Weather it be a buck coming in fast to investigate, curious does or a hot doe with a buck in tow. I’ve had them work for me and I also like how compact they are. If you want a real sounding product, then use real antlers. If you want a call that isn’t real antlers but works, For sure use them.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:30 PM

I have only had mine for two seasons, but I have had success using them both years. I've had a variety of interest generated by them. And like you said, you can't argue with their pack-ability.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay17jay View Post
I have only had mine for two seasons, but I have had success using them both years. I've had a variety of interest generated by them. And like you said, you can't argue with their pack-ability.
Interesting, tried one a few times and never got a response. Went back to antlers. Might have to put them in my pocket and give them another whirl.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:21 PM

I’ve broken two sets of synthetics so no more for me. I do really like how compact and packable they are though. For some light rattling I suppose they’d be ok.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:09 PM

I've had good success with them. I've rattled in bucks before with them. Both times it was a solo buck. I don't use them all the time but when I have they've worked. I like the fact that they are light and pack up pretty small.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-30-2018, 03:35 AM

I have the same one and though I've only used it one season so far add me to the chorus of people saying they work. Antlers are annoying to carry too - I try to limit myself to the set attached to the deer I get.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
I’ve rattled in a several deer with them. Weather it be a buck coming in fast to investigate, curious does or a hot doe with a buck in tow. I’ve had them work for me and I also like how compact they are. If you want a real sounding product, then use real antlers. If you want a call that isn’t real antlers but works, For sure use them.
Yes the synthetic rattle bags work but a set of shed antlers gives you more volume..trade off is the cumbersome real ones can sometimes be a pain to carry ..

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2018, 07:05 AM

I’ve got a pack rack. I have called in bucks with it but nothing huge. The packability is great. They do make a bigger set called magnum I think, which I’d like to try. I like to use real antlers though, I just have more confidence with them.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:11 AM

I use real antlers. I have used the same set for the last 35 years. I cut the brow tines off after I stabbed myself once, ground the burr off around the base so they are better to hang on to and drilled a hole through the base. I tied the two antlers together with a leather boot lace so I can throw them over my shoulder.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:22 AM

If you have problems carrying antlers, Smokinyotes solution is sound. I long ago did the same, and I also ground off the brow tines and the sharp ends of any main tines. For walking longer distances putting them in a light back pack till you get where you are going works well. Keeps them confined and easier to transport, plus you have room for your lunch too.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:54 AM

I used a set of real antlers for years, with the brow tined ground down. This is what I now use.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/11302...unt-call-combo

I find packability is a big bonus. Only downside that I see is that real antlers are better for rubbing trees. Have called in many bucks, including dominant ones, using these in combo with a grunt sequence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I use real antlers. I have used the same set for the last 35 years. I cut the brow tines off after I stabbed myself once, ground the burr off around the base so they are better to hang on to and drilled a hole through the base. I tied the two antlers together with a leather boot lace so I can throw them over my shoulder.
I’ve smashed my fingers and thumbs to the point I didn’t even want to rattle anymore even with the burr and brows removed. Helps for sure. Best set I had(someone else decided they needed them more), I ground and filed down the bases and up the beam small enough that I could slide and secure motocross grips on. It’s a little over the top I know but man we’re they ever a comfortable set to use. The guards on the grip tops saved me several moments of wincing in pain. Sure felt a lot more secure in the hands.