Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-17-2024, 08:56 AM

Default Firing Pin Springs

Hope the firing pin topic has not been beat to death already ...
Anyways now that i have being retired for five years or so I am shooting more then ever. Recently re barreled 6 Dasher. A conversation came up at a shoot about changing firing pins , various weights etc. Around 2000 rounds on this bolt/action. Some said they change spring every barrel change...cheap insurance, I have a spare firing pin and two 24LB springs and a 21 Lb. The rifle is working perfect with Defiance Deviant stock 24Lb. Have a gunsmith type friend and he said if I wanted he would gladly change spring for me . I want to try the 21 lb for possible smoother bolt..? Not a big deal. Would change back to 24 if there was any issue. Read a test Sierra did at their plant with a bolt that had thousands of test rounds fired. They shot a bunch of groups then put in a new spring ...no noticeable improvement in accuracy. Makes me think if its working dont mess with it.
So you guys that run competition guns , do you change when you have accuracy issues ..like the occasional flyer [ and i realize there are many other things that cause accuracy issues] or just have a routine for replacement ??
Thks
Old 06-17-2024, 09:38 AM

I am currently shooting a Jim Dugan built 600 Remington action that was last barreled up by Bill Wylde.
The action had been sleeved with a bushed bolt head ( among other numerous upgrades and mods) by Jim in thd early '90's.
I was having some primer issues with it earlier this year, so Jim replaced the firing pin spring which for all accounts was likely not changed since he originally built the rifle .
This gun has seen several rebarrels and is a match rifle so has seen many thousands of rounds.
After the spring was changed, the primer issues went away ( slight primer flow)
Possibly would not have noticed on a hunting rifle that was shot by an ocasional shooter, but a person that is particular about hand loading would see the issue right away.
Cat
Old 06-19-2024, 04:30 PM

Speedy and Cortina have done a couple of vids that are on YT, Speedy just did this one on FB, all concerning firing mechanisms, binding of the springs, problems with the clearances in the shrouds, all causing issues with ignition and accuracy. The discussions are worth watching, maybe it'll help some folk to see them and understand what problems can be caused by them.

https://www.facebook.com/thomas.gonzalez.3979

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm650FhLTMw&t=22s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw8W9RcSOVg
Old 06-19-2024, 06:39 PM

With my five match rifles, three have been re-barrelled. I have never even thought about changing out the firing pins. The chamber throat is where the wear is. And for a bolt gun, the firing pin spring would be the last thing on my list if accuracy issues came up.

My actions include KS Arms, R700, Cadex, and PGDdti.

That’s all I got to contribute.

Andy 6MT
Old 06-19-2024, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
With my five match rifles, three have been re-barrelled. I have never even thought about changing out the firing pin springs. The chamber throat is where the wear is. And for a bolt gun, the firing pin spring would be the last thing on my list if accuracy issues came up.

My actions include KS Arms, R700, Cadex, and PGDdti.

That’s all I got to contribute.

Andy 6MT
EDIT: I forgot the word “springs”.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:39 AM

My bolt was cleaned up and a new 21 LB spring installed yesterday. For $8 bucks US it's cheap maintenance.

Last edited by Ackleyman; 06-20-2024 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:37 AM

I have had a number of 17 HMR rimfires that I have put 15-20,000 rounds through. I have one 22 Anschutz that easily has 60,000 rounds on it. Never replaced a firing pin spring. No idea what the cycle limit is on one but so far I have never broken one or had one weaken off. I don't see a centerfire spring taking any more abuse than a rimfire on does.

The springs are however pretty cheap and easy to change, so if it makes you more confident in the gun, I would say change it.
Old 06-20-2024, 08:55 AM

For those that are wondering why the decision was made to change put the during on that rifle, it exhibited primer cup flow . Because the bolt has been bushed and has a Greytan pin, the cratering was small, but it was still present .
Cat