Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 PM

Default 22lr To 17hm2

Well it's almost gopher season, has anyone converted their 22 Long Rifle to 17 Mach 2 yet? It sounds like a simple barrel change for 22 bolt action rifles but semi-autos apparently need extra weight added to the sliding action to compensate for extra powder in CCI Stinger casings the 17 HM2 is based upon- this is something I am interested in doing and wonder if this is true for Browning semi-auto actions as well? Or is the BAR action strong enough alone? I could e-mail Bashaw Sports and get some answers but was wondering if any gun guys have gone this route yet?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:56 PM

Wayne, I have a friend who is a part time gunsmith, and he says it's a easy process, just a real PITA to get the parts you need out of the States.

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 05-03-2008, 12:04 PM

Default barrel change

Bashaw Sports recommended to not go that route just because the action was not designed to handle extra pressure. Pud's looking into a new 22lr barrel for the gun - I think. Have you tried building any barrels at your machine shop, or do you just make knives? How much does a free knife cost, anyway?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
Bashaw Sports recommended to not go that route just because the action was not designed to handle extra pressure. Pud's looking into a new 22lr barrel for the gun - I think. Have you tried building any barrels at your machine shop, or do you just make knives? How much does a free knife cost, anyway?
How much is a free knife? that'll depend on how drunk I am!!!! No barrels at work, too hard to hide that kind of stuff, doesn't look like anything that comes off a piece of mining equiptment!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
Well it's almost gopher season, has anyone converted their 22 Long Rifle to 17 Mach 2 yet? It sounds like a simple barrel change for 22 bolt action rifles but semi-autos apparently need extra weight added to the sliding action to compensate for extra powder in CCI Stinger casings the 17 HM2 is based upon- this is something I am interested in doing and wonder if this is true for Browning semi-auto actions as well? Or is the BAR action strong enough alone? I could e-mail Bashaw Sports and get some answers but was wondering if any gun guys have gone this route yet?
We have done many 10-22s from 22LR to 17Mk2.
We carry the Magnum Research bolts and ER Shaw barrels.
They are 100% drop ins and work great.
No clue on how a Browning would work.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 05-15-2008, 10:38 PM

Default re-barrel

AT Rifle - decided not to switch to 17, but if you have a drop-in 22LR barrel for a Browning BAR (early 1980's model, tube fed) pm me with estimated cost/time frame, etc., and I will get back to you. thanks.
Wayne