Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2015, 05:45 PM

Default Costa Rica vacation info

Well, for a change it looks like my wife and I will both be able to get next Christmas and New Years off. Trying to think of somewhere different to go on a holiday. Mexico is our usual, and we've done DR before so we're thinking maybe Costa Rica. Our daughter will be out of school (14 yrs old), so we're shooting for10 days bridging the holidays. I'm going to hit up Tripadvisor but thought I could pick up some first hand info on AO. Who's been and where? The good and the bad? Good excursions? Looks like we'd be flying into Liberia so curious which side to shoot for and what are the good destinations. We're not beach rats but like a nice beach. We like all inclusives, and enjoy a combination of getting out to see stuff and doing excursions as well as vegging by the pool.

Any input is welcome. Cheers
Old 01-29-2015, 06:05 PM

My chef buddy Joe is a realtor at Remax Los Tres Amigos in Playa Hermosa
http://www.remax-tresamigos-cr.com/i...gents.tpl#meet

Great resource if you send him an email-he can recommend where to stay-what to see, eat etc
Always has a line on great rentals if you want to forego the resort thing.
Close to Liberia
Old 01-29-2015, 06:08 PM

Costa Rica is a great place to go, but it will always be there in it's 'relatively' unspoiled state. You could go there ten years from now and the place would most likely be the same.

If it was me, I would go to Cuba instead ... before the Yanks rush in.

My two nickles,

Mac
Old 01-29-2015, 06:28 PM

Just got back on Monday. We flew into Liberia and rented a car and ahouse in Playa Del Coco. It was pretty good. I am not sure how much fun a 14 year old would have there. We also did a day trip to Teramindo and wish that we would have stayed there.( seems a bit younger and more to do)

We went fishing 1 day and caught 15 Dorrado so that was pretty cool.
If you have any questions fire me a PM,
Old 01-29-2015, 06:37 PM

We went 8 yrs. ago and loved it great people. The beaches around Liberia aren't great we went south to the end of the peninsula to a resort called Playa Tambor in Ballena Bay nice beach and resort.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:31 PM

We went a few years ago, and stayed at all inclusive occidental grand papagayo. It was a decent place, good food, good rum, great snorkelling out front. We did tours with Mainor from toursyourway.com. Awesome guy. They do all sorts of private tour, for pretty good prices. We're going back on March 16, and this time renting a condo in tamarindo, instead of doing the all inclusive thing. We will definitely be doing a couple tours using tours your way. We hit VRBO, and rented a nice two bedroom for $700 US for the week. Beachfront. Super excited. We did a tour that was white water tubing. Great fun and highly recommend it. Good luck with your plans. You'll love Costa Rica.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:50 PM

We went 3 years ago, flew into Libera, we arrived late at night so we stayed our first night near the airport, the next day we rented a car (nissan Xtrail) from there we drove to Arenal, where stayed a few days and did some site seeing , hot pools, waterfalls etc. from there we drove to Monte Verde also stayed a few days, and stayed in budget hotels. From there we drove to Basilito , and we stayed in the most beautyfull little hotel called Hotel Conchal , very small with pool, awesome host, (Simon and Hilda) From there we did day trips to Tamarindo, playa flamingo, and aveana beach , where Lola the pig was a big hit waddling down the beach.

Costa Rica is beautyfull , and we thought it was safe, people are freindly, even if your lost, they will steer you in the right direction..

We love the freedom of renting a car , staying at nice small budget hotels.
And we are not big on all inclusives.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:16 PM

We go a few times a year and we dont do the resort thing (We did stay at the Occidental Grand Papagayo once prior to departing out of Liberia which was definitely nice). We have family there (South of San Jose) so we try and always see the true Costa Rica. You dont when you sit at a resort. Might as well go back to Mexico or Cuba for half the price. A beach is a beach, a pool is a pool, a buffet with half assed american latin fusion is a buffet with half assed american latin fusion. See the land and beaches OFF the resorts. Many we went to in February / June of last year were deserted, and vast with incredible waves. No people hassling you to buy garbage and cheap necklaces. 50,000 times better than Mexico where they always hustle you for Faukleys and Knockoff Cubans or ganja or yayo. I felt quite safe there. Much more than walking the towns in Mexico or Jamaica.

Time is everything. Try and stretch to two weeks. There is so so so much to see and do and prices are reasonable (Albeit with our dollar in the toilet it will be 30% more than last trip).

The volcanos and waterfalls are worth seeing (Done Arenal, Poas, Irazu), you can do them on your own though no need for a tour.

Get down to Manuel Antonio and beyond, thats outstanding!

Will be crossing into Panama on the next trip coming up to Bocas Del Toro.

Looking for a property to build or buy. I could see myself retiring there.

Any questions feel free to drop me a PM.

Buenos!

Pura Vida!
Old 01-29-2015, 09:22 PM

Default Check aadventures formerly gap adventures

We are traveling with them for years. Everything like hotels, transportation, some activities are included some you have to pay for but have advice of a guide that is always with the group. We have been with them to many countries around the world and always good experience. You travel in a group of max 15 people from different nationalities, another experience. Costa Rica was a blast.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:53 PM

Big Racks - I think you need your own pilot to accompany you and the family.

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -
Old 01-29-2015, 10:46 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPM View Post

We go a few times a year and we dont do the resort thing . . .

Truly, that's ^ the best way by far, to see any place, or country ... but sadly, far too many people elect to 'insulate' themselves inside the confines of a sterilized resort.

To each their own, I guess ... it's their loss

Mac
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM

I have also been about 6 years ago. I was there for a month staying in hostels lugging a pack around. Super cool country. The highlights for me were hiking and zip lining in the Monteverde cloud forest, snorkelling in Cahuita, and watching the volcano in La Fortuna spitting out lava at night. It's definitely on my list of places to return to. As for beaches I enjoyed the Caribbean side better than the pacific. Depending on the season you should look into when the sea turtles are around. Tortuguero was a really neat experience. I was able to watch sea turtle lay eggs on the beach from 10 feet away.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:45 PM

Costa Rica is a place I need to go. For some reason it has always appealed to me. Please keep tips coming and maybe post some pics of that beautiful country?
Old 02-23-2015, 07:25 PM

Just got back! Still amazing!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:51 AM

I've spent two weeks in Costa Rica and absolutely loved it. Like many other, we flew into Liberia and rented a condo in Playa del Coco. The beaches around there really aren't the best. You're not going to get that white sand and perfect water. Although we did find a couple nice beaches that satisfied us quite well. We made day trips go different beaches almost daily. Tamarindo is a must see. Beautiful beach, nice surf and some decent shops of you're looking for a few goodies to bring home.

If you go a few KM past Hermosa and Coco you'll run into Ocotal which was one of our go to places. Black sand and a great restaurant on the beach called Father Roosters.

Costa Rica was a memorable trip for us. We've been many places and we are planning to start our 3 month honeymoon of central and south America back in Costa Rica.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:26 PM

Well, after doing tons of research we decided on a rental rather than a resort. Not going to rent a car though, so we are wanted to stay in town somewhat.

Flying into San Jose, and renting a beach front condo in Jaco. Beautiful complex, our ground floor corner unit has two patios, one onto the pool deck and one directly onto the beach. 2 weeks after all, but overnighting in Houston on the way down, and spending the night before the early flight home near the airport in San Jose, so really 12 nights at the condo. Soooo looking forward to it!!!
Old 05-16-2015, 02:39 PM

Jamaica is my personal favorite, hot weather like everywhere else, SUPER friendly people everywhere, they all speak English which makes things easier (they do have their own slang which takes some guessing) that's my vote.
Old 12-20-2015, 01:52 PM

3 more sleeps!!! Fly to Houston on Wednesday, then down to San Jose Thursday morning. 12 nights in Jaco, I'm pumped. From -20 something to 31 above, brrr....lows are 26 overnight, lol.

Planning a day of deep sea fishing, kid wants to take surf lessons, some zip lining and a jungle tour, maybe an atv or horseback tour. Going to rent a car 3 or 4 days throughout the stay and do day trips to Manuel Antonio Park, maybe Poas Volcano.

Any recommended must-sees within a day trip of Jaco?
Old 12-20-2015, 06:22 PM

Please take lots of pics!

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -