Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-27-2019, 01:17 PM

Default Unsolicated texting from strangers to get unspecified blanket hunting permission...

isn't generally going to be the best way to gain access....

Just sayin... for those millenials and others that seem to be addicted to text messaging.
Old 09-27-2019, 01:30 PM
Banned

I have had a guy call and text me over dozen times in last two days trying to get on my land in drumheller area apparently no isn’t a answer any more lol
Old 09-27-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainaccent View Post
I have had a guy call and text me over dozen times in last two days trying to get on my land in drumheller area apparently no isn’t a answer any more lol
No and ask him to share his (phone) location with you
Old 09-27-2019, 01:43 PM

Ask for nudes.
Or send some...
Old 09-27-2019, 01:47 PM

I remember as a kid stooking bales in July in order to hunt in September, October and November and that was on my uncles land. Fencing on his neighbours, that's how I got access and mostly exclusive on over 12 quarters.

Picked roots and rocks on another prime piece of property on the weekends in order for the same privileges.

BW
Old 09-27-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainaccent View Post
If he’s anything like the new waterfowl guide in my area a No from my wife wasn’t good enough. He had to go pester my mother immediately after too and needed to know why we won’t let many people on. He’s lucky I didn’t get out of the combine to talk to him cause I’m definitely not as polite as either of them.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:07 PM

How about unsolicited replies on this forum?
Old 09-27-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
How about unsolicited replies on this forum?
Not sure if you directed this at me so here goes and sorry if I hijack thread but I think this is relevant.

I am one of those guys that gets hounded daily this time of year for access. It wears on you after awhile. You tell one guy no and he gets his buddy to phone or text you because you might let them on. The local hotshot guide got told no after he ticked me off so now he’s using guys from the area and his customers to phone me to gain permission since I refuse to give it to him anymore and I did catch on to his tactics. I now have to screen my calls and texts this time of year if I don’t know the number. My phone number is no longer given out because of this and I am tempted to get a new one due to some individuals but why should I have to put up with this.

If you are getting random texts from someone it’s time to find out who gave out your number. And if no is not a good enough answer be prepared for what’s coming. Sorry again for my rant but after the new guide pestering my family for my phone number and permission during the only 2 decent days of harvesting we’ve had so far this fall I had to vent.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:35 PM

If you want permission for our ground, you better offer a first and last name, where you are from and your occupation,,,, YES that is important,,, weeds out the outfitters and guides and you never know,,, I may need a welder with a portable stick to do some repairs some day ,,, Or new spectacles,,, not that I expect any favours, it is just that I would rather use the services of someone I know who is respectful rather than someone from a google search.

If I have to ask for your last name the answer is always no,,,, but it comes with the caveat to try again next year and do try to get it right then!!!

You will have better success if you are asking for a particular species ( goose moose deer etc) on a particular day or two. Blanket permission is not fair to the other hunters who also want to hunt my land!
Old 09-27-2019, 10:41 PM

This is why I have a hard time calling or approaching farmers for permission. I'll have to find out when the time is right. Currently trying to help a farmer next year brand cattle and fix fences to get access for next year. I think this is probably the best way to get access. I rather not be another number of annoyance on already busy people and families.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:48 AM

Actually had a forum member pm me after seeing I had some permission to shoot gophers just outside Calgary. He says he’s new to hunting and could he tag along. No issue until he said “ If not, could I just have the landowners contact info, I’ll call them. Need a place to shoot my sks also. “ I declined, seems like the kinda person that would quickly make a my spot into an our spot.
Permissions tough, no doubt. Go knocking on some doors in May, or June. Ask a bunch of places, dress nice, be courteous, state your business. You may get turned a few times, but you also might get a yes. I’ve had a couple places that are accommodating enough hunters this season, but check back in the spring to see if theres an opening. So, I do. Generous landowners are out there. We have to do our part by not screwing them over and ruining the privileges that some provide.
Tullfan
Old 09-28-2019, 08:12 AM

Haven't been shooting for a couple years now, but when I was looking for places to shoot gophers, I printed up some cards. Gave my name, vehicle description, license plate, phone number and address. I always thought, If this person trusts me to shoot on their land, I can show enough trust to give them my personal information. Still denied permission at times, but usually for good reason.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:38 AM

Turned off the texting feature on my phone, because it became so annoying. Now only Telus texts me, with great offers.

Grizz
Old 09-28-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Not sure if you directed this at me so here goes and sorry if I hijack thread but I think this is relevant.

I am one of those guys that gets hounded daily this time of year for access. It wears on you after awhile. You tell one guy no and he gets his buddy to phone or text you because you might let them on. The local hotshot guide got told no after he ticked me off so now he’s using guys from the area and his customers to phone me to gain permission since I refuse to give it to him anymore and I did catch on to his tactics. I now have to screen my calls and texts this time of year if I don’t know the number. My phone number is no longer given out because of this and I am tempted to get a new one due to some individuals but why should I have to put up with this.

If you are getting random texts from someone it’s time to find out who gave out your number. And if no is not a good enough answer be prepared for what’s coming. Sorry again for my rant but after the new guide pestering my family for my phone number and permission during the only 2 decent days of harvesting we’ve had so far this fall I had to vent.
It was nothing personal, that's for sure. I was just kidding around because of all the drama I hear about getting land access. My joke was pandering around the fact that land ownership was stated and so I was thinking people might start messaging on this forum unsolicited, asking permission.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova316 View Post
This is why I have a hard time calling or approaching farmers for permission. I'll have to find out when the time is right. Currently trying to help a farmer next year brand cattle and fix fences to get access for next year. I think this is probably the best way to get access. I rather not be another number of annoyance on already busy people and families.
I have just stuck to crown land for a similar reason, I know I do not like door to door salesmen so I would feel bad just walking up to someones house in the middle of dinner..
Old 09-28-2019, 09:28 AM

Is this private property access or lease land access?
Old 09-28-2019, 09:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Is this private property access or lease land access?
….and here we go again
Old 09-28-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
If you want permission for our ground, you better offer a first and last name, where you are from and your occupation,,,, YES that is important,,, weeds out the outfitters and guides and you never know,,, I may need a welder with a portable stick to do some repairs some day ,,, Or new spectacles,,, not that I expect any favours, it is just that I would rather use the services of someone I know who is respectful rather than someone from a google search.

If I have to ask for your last name the answer is always no,,,, but it comes with the caveat to try again next year and do try to get it right then!!!

You will have better success if you are asking for a particular species ( goose moose deer etc) on a particular day or two. Blanket permission is not fair to the other hunters who also want to hunt my land!
I currently have permission from 20+ land owners and I can't think of a single one, including myself that would want to be bothered every time someone accessed their land. Some of the land owners have even said not to ask every year but that is one thing I insist on even if I just bring it up during a visit or coffee. Although I'm sure most of them know my occupation (neighbors and friends) I can't think of a single one that would find it as a necessity to know someones occupation (unless your a guide).

In the end, it's your land and your decision. If someone told me I was denied permission for a year because they had to ask about a detail I left out, but to "try again to do it right next year" I think I would not be returning. Do you allow them to make eye contact with you or do they have to bow their head while addressing you?

Good hunter/landowner/neighbor relationships go both ways.
I've helped many landowners and a few hunters have helped me over the years.
Old 09-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
Actually had a forum member pm me after seeing I had some permission to shoot gophers just outside Calgary. He says he’s new to hunting and could he tag along. No issue until he said “ If not, could I just have the landowners contact info, I’ll call them. Need a place to shoot my sks also. “ I declined, seems like the kinda person that would quickly make a my spot into an our spot.
Permissions tough, no doubt. Go knocking on some doors in May, or June. Ask a bunch of places, dress nice, be courteous, state your business. You may get turned a few times, but you also might get a yes. I’ve had a couple places that are accommodating enough hunters this season, but check back in the spring to see if theres an opening. So, I do. Generous landowners are out there. We have to do our part by not screwing them over and ruining the privileges that some provide.
Tullfan
Permission on private land to shoot an sks?, gotta say I find that kinda funny
Old 09-28-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Permission on private land to shoot an sks?, gotta say I find that kinda funny
Why is that?
Old 09-28-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I currently have permission from 20+ land owners and I can't think of a single one, including myself that would want to be bothered every time someone accessed their land. Some of the land owners have even said not to ask every year but that is one thing I insist on even if I just bring it up during a visit or coffee. Although I'm sure most of them know my occupation (neighbors and friends) I can't think of a single one that would find it as a necessity to know someones occupation (unless your a guide).

In the end, it's your land and your decision. If someone told me I was denied permission for a year because they had to ask about a detail I left out, but to "try again to do it right next year" I think I would not be returning. Do you allow them to make eye contact with you or do they have to bow their head while addressing you?

Good hunter/landowner/neighbor relationships go both ways.
I've helped many landowners and a few hunters have helped me over the years.
So I can only surmise from your "neighbours and friends" comment that the majority of landowners already know you which is a totally different part of this conservation.

When some who you don't know from a hole in the ground "cold calls" asking for permission introducing themselves as "Hi I am Joe, Can I hunt your land?",,,, the landowners first thoughts are most likely to be, "Who are you? Do I know you from somewhere?"

BTW, when introducing yourself, your last name is hardly a detail!!!

I can guarantee if you are seeking permission to hunt from a strange landowner and give out your first and last name,,, your place of residence and your occupation in your opening line,,, you have made yourself less strange and opened the door for more conversation.

So tell me, why should this be so hard to freely offer this kind of information, After all you already know the farmers name, residence and occupation if you are asking him for permission to hunt his land!!

Last edited by Pikebreath; 09-28-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:44 PM

I’m a journeyman motorcycle mechanic. I take my business cards with me. It tells them who I am, my occupation and my place of employment. Ranchers have quads and snowmobiles, side by sides and mules. All need fixin at tome point. So I really sometimes get a 2 for one, business and permission. But most times come away with a new friend.
Ps any nice landowners want my card? Lol.
Tullfan
Old 09-28-2019, 04:55 PM

In the past three years, I have done the scouting and permission asking for our waterfowl group. In three years, I have been denied permission twice, by people that simply don't allow any hunting on their property. I have permission from several landowners ,and add a few more landowners every year. I have been invited by landowners without asking as well. It helps being over an hour from the nearest big city, and it helps being a local, but most of all, when and how you ask usually decides if you are granted permission.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Why is that?
I’ve got nothing against the sks , but if I find the thought of myself knocking on a strangers door and asking if I can rip off a couple hundred rounds out in their pasture kinda funny. Maybe that wasn’t the intent of the person who mentioned it
Old 10-07-2019, 05:20 AM
Banned

Technology is a scourge. I've been hunting the same property's for 20 years and I still make a point to call ahead the day before I go up to talk to the same landowners face to face year after year and they always say the same thing- "You don't need to ask anymore, you're good to go". I still do it as a sign of respect and out of common courtesy.

Texting a stranger and asking for permission is odd. Just go knock on the door, worst they'll say is no.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:18 AM
Gone Hunting

I always ask permission, even on my brother's land.

The way I figure it, if it were my land I'd want the option to say, not this year. Maybe I leased the land out since last year, or maybe I want to take my friends hunting on the part of my property.

So I ask. In person. I never phone or use anything other then face to face conversation if I don't know the landowner personally.

If I can't wait until the land owner isn't busy, a rainy day perhaps, I don't ask, I go elsewhere.

I learned long ago that it's hard to tell what kind of person you are talking to, on the phone. Body language and manners indicate a lot.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-08-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterBlaster View Post
Technology is a scourge. I've been hunting the same property's for 20 years and I still make a point to call ahead the day before I go up to talk to the same landowners face to face year after year and they always say the same thing- "You don't need to ask anymore, you're good to go". I still do it as a sign of respect and out of common courtesy.

Texting a stranger and asking for permission is odd. Just go knock on the door, worst they'll say is no.

This above^^^ goes a long way to keep that relationship.
i Would expect that from people asking to hunt my land in the States also.Yearly!
Old 10-08-2019, 06:56 AM

Have been hunting a lot of the same places for a good number of years.
Pitching in with the odd chore, especially when you’ve got specific skills often needed by land owners is a great way to endure yourself to landowners.
Showing up during a rain day with some new coffee beans, and having a friendly visit, is always a bonus.

It’s about building relationships, and being personable.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-08-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Have been hunting a lot of the same places for a good number of years.
Pitching in with the odd chore, especially when you’ve got specific skills often needed by land owners is a great way to endure yourself to landowners.
Showing up during a rain day with some new coffee beans, and having a friendly visit, is always a bonus.

It’s about building relationships, and being personable.
It's all about trust, text or showing up on the door step can't build that.

Grizz