Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2016, 01:46 PM

Default Barnes TSX VS TTSX

I was just wondering if any of you have shot both of these types of bullets in your rifle in the same caliber / bullet weight? In your experience was there a noticeable difference in point of impact?
Old 09-07-2016, 02:19 PM

No noticeable point of impact difference from my experience (7mm 140gr TTSX vs 160gr TSX), but definitely better groups with the TSX.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:31 PM

I'm getting good groups with my TTSX. The thing that supposedly differs the most between the two is that on average the TSX needs 200 FPS less than the TTSX to reliably expand.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:32 PM

Good info guys, keep it coming!
Old 09-07-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure as shootin' View Post
I'm getting good groups with my TTSX. The thing that supposedly differs the most between the two is that on average the TSX needs 200 FPS less than the TTSX to reliably expand.
I found this to be the opposite. As well as Barnes does as well.
This is why they put the tip on it to help it expand.
That comment is right from Barnes
Old 09-07-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sure as shootin' View Post
You have it backwards.

Quote:
I found this to be the opposite. As well as Barnes does as well.
This is why they put the tip on it to help it expand.
That comment is right from Barnes
Correct.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:52 PM

Default Tsx

I've had the TSX punch through deer's front end at 100 - 150 out of my 270wsm 140gr. I haven't loaded any TTSX's yet to compare. Anyone have a comparison with the ttsx?
Old 09-07-2016, 04:18 PM

I've shot both, and now only TTSX, they're supposed open up faster with less velocity. I'd be surprised if Barnes doesn't fade the tsx out and produce only TTSX eventually. I've shot them in my boys 270 WSM, my 300 wsm, 300 wby,and my 338-378 wby and found them all very accurate and deadly.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:05 PM

Not to get off the big game theme, but the only thing I have seen regards a friend who dumped a coyote with .243 ,80 gr. ttsx. It's a go to bullet for this cal. on yotes if you don't want damage ( excluding bone hit's) pinhole in not much bigger out. But for larger critters I think it will expand properly, as that's what it's designed for. Not enough mass on a yote for it to expand much, but admirable at putting them down and saving fur.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titegroup View Post
Not to get off the big game theme, but the only thing I have seen regards a friend who dumped a coyote with .243 ,80 gr. ttsx. It's a go to bullet for this cal. on yotes if you don't want damage ( excluding bone hit's) pinhole in not much bigger out. But for larger critters I think it will expand properly, as that's what it's designed for. Not enough mass on a yote for it to expand much, but admirable at putting them down and saving fur.
My favorite bullet in the 243 for coyotes on up.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
The last coyote that I shot with a 140gr TTSX out of my 7mmstw had a good sized exit hole, it definitely expanded.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The last coyote that I shot with a 140gr TTSX out of my 7mmstw had a good sized exit hole, it definitely expanded.
I imagine. I took one in the neck with a 150 gr ballistic tip at 180 yards with my 7mm RM. Darn near decapitated the thing......not to hijack the thread or anything.

Re: the TSX and TTSX, I haven't been able to discern any real world difference. Both group the same, both get the job done in perfect fashion, still haven't recovered one. I know they work.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-07-2016, 07:10 PM

What I'd like to know is why Barnes doesn't make a 270 WSM TTSX in a factory load. The TSX gets the job done but the TTSX just looks so damn sexy!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
What I'd like to know is why Barnes doesn't make a 270 WSM TTSX in a factory load. The TSX gets the job done but the TTSX just looks so damn sexy!
It may be as simple as they need the little bit shorter bullet for seating depth to get a proper overall case length
Old 09-07-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
My .243 / 22" Rem.700 -1982 vintage chrono's the 80 ttsx @ 3286 fps. with very tight sub 1/2"at 100yds. maybe your 7mm stw is higher vel. than I'm running, could be the reason for more expansion, or depending where it was hit. This one was through the lungs.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
My .243 / 22" Rem.700 -1982 vintage chrono's the 80 ttsx @ 3286 fps. with very tight sub 1/2"at 100yds. maybe your 7mm stw is higher vel. than I'm running, could be the reason for more expansion, or depending where it was hit. This one was through the lungs.
I am pushing the 140gr TTSX to 3500fps in the 7mmstw. The shot was quartering away.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:14 PM

Anyone know why the TSX is much pricier in factory ammo over the TTSX?

I was in cabelas and there was a $10 difference between the two.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I was just wondering if any of you have shot both of these types of bullets in your rifle in the same caliber / bullet weight? In your experience was there a noticeable difference in point of impact?
I have shot both out of my 270WSM, 130gr slightly below max load, accuracy was good with both and point of impact was not any different for either.
Grouping was slightly better with the TSX and that is what I hunt with.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 PM

Question

Would you use the 130gr TTSX on deer out of a 270? I don't hunt but will be loading for my brother and bought a selection of bullets to try...

Speer Grand Slam 130 and 150
Nosler Partition 130
Barnes TTSX 130
Nosler BT 130
Old 09-08-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoteStopper View Post
Would you use the 130gr TTSX on deer out of a 270? I don't hunt but will be loading for my brother and bought a selection of bullets to try...

Speer Grand Slam 130 and 150
Nosler Partition 130
Barnes TTSX 130
Nosler BT 130
Most guys I know are loading 110 gr. for their .270s when using TTSX with excellent results.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:43 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
In theory POI would differ as distance increases as TSX typically have lower BC.
Extreme example is .338 cal 225 gr TSX with BC of .384
and .338 cal 225 gr TTSX with BC of .514 !!!

I've used Barnes since original X bullet was created and those were not very accurate and blamed for excessive copper fouling of barrels.
TSX bullet got grooves to prevent this and lots of them were BT Boat Tail design to improve BC.
Then MRX bullet was introduced it got Blue plastic tip and was shorter, it was lead free but not monolithic. There was Silvex core.
Next was introduction of TTSX and this is my hunting bullet in all cartridges.
It has redesigned nose cavity and plastic tip to open at lower velocities than TSX.
Last Barnes offering is Long Range TTSX LRX. They should open better at long ranges and lower velocity then TTSX.
I have 175 gr in .308 but no hunting experience with those.

Monolithic bullets are very accurate as there is no difference in geometric and gyroscopic concentricity as it was with earlier cup and core bullets.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 09-08-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
In theory POI would differ as distance increases as TSX typically have lower BC.

I've used Barnes since original X bullet was created and those were not very accurate and blamed for excessive copper fouling of barrels.
TSX bullet got grooves to prevent this and lots of them were BT Boat Tail design to improve BC.
Then MRX bullet was introduced it got Blue plastic tip and was shorter, it was lead free but not monolithic. There was Silvex core.
It has redesigned nose cavity and plastic tip to open at lower velocities than TSX.
Last Barnes offering is Long Range TTSX LRX. They should open better at long ranges and lower velocity then TTSX.

Monolithic bullets are very accurate as there is no difference in geometric and gyroscopic concentricity as it was with earlier cup and core bullets.
You forgot the XLC bullet.
I used them in a 243, 6.5WSM, 264 Winmag and a 338 Lapua .

Al were very accurate but the blue coating was ore of a marketing gimmick than anything.
Most of the lad data out of the Barnes manual was good except for the 264 Win Mag data.
Cat
Old 09-08-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post

The original X bullets fouled badly in my rifles and accuracy was poor. The XLC did not foul badly, but they still didn't shoot that well in my rifles. The TSX was a huge improvement, in that fouling was greatly reduced, and they shoot very well in my rifles. I now shoot the TTSX in the 7mmstw, but there is no way that I would use the Barnes data for my 7mmstw, as is too hot for any of my rifles.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowl91 View Post
No noticeable point of impact difference from my experience (7mm 140gr TTSX vs 160gr TSX), but definitely better groups with the TSX.
Surprisingly I found the same thing with the 145 lrx down to the 140 tsx in my 280ai.

TSX all the way.

The 145 lrx blew a nasty hole through my goat last year as well as my mule deer. I have yet to shoot the 140 tsx into meat but I am heading down to Idaho for elk tomorrow! Keep you posted.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:03 AM

I have seen no noticeable impact changes at distances of less than 300 yards. As with any different bullets with different ballistic coefficients, you can expect commensurate changes in bullet impact the farther you shoot.

I have shot many of the Barnes bullets in .338 win mag, 300 WSM and 375 H&H. I believe there is not any better bullets out there for taking game.

For the handloader, be very aware of COAL with the TTSX bullet in the short actions i.e. 300 WSWM, 7 WSM, 270 WSM. If you are seating your bullets out at all they can interfere when put down in the magazine. It wouldn't be unlikely to shoot one at a time in load development and then encounter a problem when trying to insert more cartridges in the magazine.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:02 PM

started my load for my sako a7 300 win mag with the 180 tsx, found a good load and when I went to buy more the store was out so I tried the ttsx, started a new load and found out they both like the same amount of powder and very little difference in point of impact. I could for hunting purpose use either without really changing my zero.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:17 AM

Did a final sighting in check with my TTSX loads with a very strong left to right wind. Accuracy has been excellent.

Also, took a couple of shots at 1/4" steel plate at a 150 yards and because they expanded so well they wouldn't exit the hole even though they made one. My friends 30.06 lead core bullets passed through.

The bullet on the left is a photo taken from behind the bullet. The bullet on the right shows the hole it made in the plate,,,,that photo was from the front. I flipped the plate between shots.

Can't understand how that two point mulie was still standing after two shots in the boiler maker. Next time I'll be taking shoulder shots! LOL

Old 09-12-2016, 09:14 AM

Can't understand how that two point mulie was still standing after two shots in the boiler maker. Next time I'll be taking shoulder shots! LOL

[/QUOTE]

That's a great target!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post

That's a great target![/QUOTE]

Might even work as a decoy.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:13 PM

I see no difference between ttsx and tsx. I was told that the ttsx builds less pressure because of the grooves allowing for compression when acceralting. Sounded logical so I switched. That And they are more expensive.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31