Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 AM

Default Powder Dumps

I have had a Lyman 55 powder dump since I first started reloading. It was what came with the kit at the time and has served me reasonably well. It does weigh charges of ball or flake powder quite accurately , but not so on extruded powders. I usually find I need to weigh every charge of extruded powder and adjust it with a trickler. How does Hornady, redding or RCBS dumps measure up in comparison? (I know, get a $500.00 electronic one and join the 21st century.)
Old 01-15-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
I have had a Lyman 55 powder dump since I first started reloading. It was what came with the kit at the time and has served me reasonably well. It does weigh charges of ball or flake powder quite accurately , but not so on extruded powders. I usually find I need to weigh every charge of extruded powder and adjust it with a trickler. How does Hornady, redding or RCBS dumps measure up in comparison? (I know, get a $500.00 electronic one and join the 21st century.)
I use a 55 at times ( I own two as well as two other brands) but for short range work do not worry about 1/2 grain difference or so on my extruded powders .
When I go to the longer ranges I measure my charges ( past 500) .
Cat
Old 01-15-2012, 12:15 PM

I don't think any of them do very well with long grained extruded powders. Some of them handle fine grained powders or the short cut powders okay, but I still think your better off with a scoop and a trickler if you don't/won't use an automated dispenser.