Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2016, 09:36 AM

Default Australia SCRAPS Carbon Tax

https://www.ft.com/content/d852822a-...2-00144feabdc0
Australia has become the first country to repeal a national carbon tax in a move that threatens to isolate the country amid increasing international efforts to tackle climate change.

The senate voted by 39 to 32 on Thursday to repeal carbon pricing following months of wrangling between opposition parties and the government over the measure, which was introduced two years ago.

“What’s gone today is not a policy to reduce emissions. What’s gone today is the world’s biggest carbon tax,” said Prime Minister Tony Abbott, who campaigned in last year’s election to “axe the tax”.

The vote, a hard-fought political victory for Mr Abbott, marks one of the biggest setbacks for climate action advocates since Canada became the first nation formally to pull out of the Kyoto protocol climate treaty in 2011.

It is a sharp break from what has been a steady rise in the number of carbon pricing schemes in the past two years as China, South Korea, Kazakhstan and California have launched or scheduled such measures.

It comes a month after other US states began considering new carbon trading plans to meet sweeping cuts in power plant emissions proposed by President Barack Obama.

The Australian tax was due to be integrated into an emissions trading mechanism by 2015, which would enable the market to set a price on carbon – a model that many countries want to replicate globally.

The EU, home of the world’s largest carbon market, said it regretted the vote in Canberra, which sinks a plan to link the European scheme with Australia.

This is likely to be the biggest impact of the Australian vote, carbon market analysts said. “I don’t think it will slow the expansion of schemes in the rest of the world,” said Marcus Ferdinand of Thomson Reuters Point Carbon. “But it is definitely a signal from the Australian government that it is not interested in fighting global warming.”

The ruling Liberal-National coalition and Australian industry argue the tax was set at a higher level than similar emission reduction schemes overseas and hurt Australia’s competitiveness.

Opponents dispute this, citing OECD data, and warn that axing the carbon tax leaves Australia with no viable policy to tackle climate change and will make it a pariah on the world stage.

“History will judge Tony Abbott harshly for his denial of global warming and his undermining of Australia’s effort to address it,” said Christine Milne, Green party leader.

Last week Mr Abbott’s plans were thrown into doubt when senators, including those from the party of Clive Palmer, the mining magnate turned lawmaker, blocked the move.

Mr Palmer, whose Palmer United party holds the balance of power in the upper house, on Thursday sided with the government to approve the repeal after new consumer protection amendments were included.

Climate change policy has dogged successive Australian administrations, which must balance a powerful industry lobby led by the country’s A$60bn coal industry against growing public concern over greenhouse gas emissions.

“We are a government which absolutely appreciates that we have only got one planet and we should pass it on to our children and grandchildren in at least as good shape as we found it,” Mr Abbott said.

“We are a conservationist government and we will do what we think is the sensible thing to try to bring emissions down.”

The coalition is proposing to replace the carbon tax with a policy called Direct Action. Under this scheme the government would provide grants to companies that invest in helping Australia meet its target of cutting emissions by 5 per cent by 2020.

But the axing of the carbon tax is unlikely to be the last word on carbon pricing in Australia. Bill Shorten, Labor leader, said on Thursday that Mr Abbott had “embarrassed Australians”, reiterating that his party would go into the next election with an emissions trading scheme as a policy.

“Tony Abbott is taking Australia backwards while the rest of the world is moving forward,” he said.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2016. All rights reserved. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2016. All rights reserved. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.
You thief

I'm surprised that a fairly liberal country such as Australia has done this, but I hope it sets the tone of things to come, namely, people are realizing that climate change is natural and no amount of taxation is going to change it.

I have a question for the scientific types here, given the closed loop of an energy cycle - not sure if that is the correct way to say it, what I mean is it takes a defined amount of joules to accomplish something. So in order for me to drive my car, many events have to take place, which have been set in motion likely hundreds of years ago. Ex - the parts required to make the power generation plant that will make the parts for the oil refinery that will provide fuel. I would assume that earth in general is considered the 'closed loop'. So how does relying on wind for example add to the loop? Does wind 'create' energy? Or do windmills just burn more energy elsewhere in the world to produce some at another location?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:03 AM

Default when published?

What is the date this article was originally published? Tony Abbott was defeated as leader of the Liberal Party by Malcolm Turnbull in September 2015.
Also, some of the rhetoric and wording in this article is outdated.

Still good news.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 10-02-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
What is the date this article was originally published? Tony Abbott was defeated as leader of the Liberal Party by Malcolm Turnbull in September 2015.
Also, some of the rhetoric and wording in this article is outdated.

Still good news.
It's hard to sneak stuff past you guys, second post nailed it.

July 17 2014.

I don't think it's been replaced with anything. There now seems to be major opposition growing to ridiculously inefficient, expensive windmills and solar panels. Maybe there is some sanity left on the planet. I've always liked Australians!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 10-02-2016, 10:41 AM

The most relevant sentence in the article...

“I don’t think it will slow the expansion of schemes in the rest of the world,”

Yup. Schemes. That is indeed the correct word for carbon taxing. Just another way to redistribute wealth, and I know who is not going to benefit from it. Quite apart from the planet not benefitting from a tax.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-02-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
The most relevant sentence in the article...

“I don’t think it will slow the expansion of schemes in the rest of the world,”

Yup. Schemes. That is indeed the correct word for carbon taxing. Just another way to redistribute wealth, and I know who is not going to benefit from it. Quite apart from the planet not benefitting from a tax.
Very true. Taxation does not solve problems, it creates future ones. This carbon tax is merely a sin tax - it will be bothersome at first but we will either succumb to it like other provinces, or push back against it to see it repealed. I respect the environment 100%, but making life more expensive for Albertans is the wrong direction at the wrong time, especially when climate change isn't something that will ever be stopped. Its ludicrous to think that taxation on us will make any impact whatsoever on global GHG's.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:04 AM

Default taxes

taxes don't solve anything, cutting spending is always the best option. I fear for my children in 20 years time. The federal government has left a massive burden on them.
Luckily dad invests that nice shinny cctb cheque each month for them, along with 20% of our overall net income.
into low cost index funds
Old 10-03-2016, 11:28 AM
Banned

Well there goes the Wild Rose or Jason Kenney's plans to axe the carbon tax.

Federal tax is starting next year, and increasing $10 per year to $50 per tonne in 2022. That's $20 more than Alberta's price

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...933/story.html
Old 10-04-2016, 08:30 PM

Not true. Taxation solves everything. If for example we taxed murder, not only would we provide a direct disincentive to killing people, we would also collect additional revenue that could be directed to further reduce the problem. If we also taxed victims, then again, problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
Very true. Taxation does not solve problems, it creates future ones. This carbon tax is merely a sin tax - it will be bothersome at first but we will either succumb to it like other provinces, or push back against it to see it repealed. I respect the environment 100%, but making life more expensive for Albertans is the wrong direction at the wrong time, especially when climate change isn't something that will ever be stopped. Its ludicrous to think that taxation on us will make any impact whatsoever on global GHG's.