Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-31-2010, 04:43 PM

Default Horses and Bow Hunting

Does any one have any experiences hunting with a bow while on horses? How do you carry your bow? How close have you gotten? Any success?
Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 PM

Ive just started bow hunting last year but have been riding horses all my life if i were you i would spend the money and invest in a bow scabbard because it is a pain in the ass holding it while riding but it sure builds up your for arm muscles you pretty well gotta ride your horse to a spot tie up and then take off on foot for a ways
Old 03-31-2010, 05:57 PM

I've never strapped a bow to the horses but I'm little hesitant because of the sharp poking things attached to the bow. I bought one of those bow scabbards from a place down in Columbia Fall but they are huge! In a stiff breeze, you've got the makings of a rodeo. I've heard of some guys strapping it to their backs but it needs to be accessible too.

With how close a rider can get to some animals, I'm surprised more guys haven't tried it. If you had a buddy riding and leading your horse, you've got the makings of a flesh and blood decoy to hide behind. We've managed to get a few with the rifles but poking one with the stick and string, using the horses seems like a plan.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:18 AM

i have used horses and a bow with a bow scabbard. no speacial trick but i just uses the horses to access remote areas and still hunt on foot. i would recommend a bow scabbard for sure but be sure to get the horse used to it at home a few times before heading out.