Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2015, 12:28 AM

Default Fire extinguisher for round baler?

What kind of Fire extinguisher should guy get for round baler?
Old 07-16-2015, 12:32 AM

Water canon is best
Old 07-16-2015, 01:17 AM
Banned

http://www.firesupplydepot.com/fas-a240-e.html

Water extinguisher for grass/straw fires etc. You can recharge these yourself.

Class A fires only!

I'd also have an ABC extinguisher for any fire involving flammables like diesel or oil etc.

They say the ABC extinguishers tend to blow flaming grass around and spread the fire, whereas the Class A one's don't. We usually carry around both when we're working in areas of dry grass.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:59 AM

I carry a spot fire rubber bladder back pack with a hand pump. Big fill cap, easy to fill from the dugout in a hurry.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
I carry a spot fire rubber bladder back pack with a hand pump. Big fill cap, easy to fill from the dugout in a hurry.
X2

They cost a couple hundred bucks and are a PITA to mount but well worth the trouble if ever needed.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-16-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
X2

They cost a couple hundred bucks and are a PITA to mount but well worth the trouble if ever needed.
X3

Same here, call them pi** packs...
Old 07-16-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
X2

Depending on how hot the fire burns a water extinguisher might not be enough, and once empty they need to be recharged. you could need alot of water for a bale fire.

At least with the rubber bladder you have the option of putting more water on it.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:43 PM

I don't know if this helps, but I was talking with a local volunteer fire-fighter, he was saying they've started using a leaf-blower to put out grass fires, apparently you just blow it out and follow up the hot-spots with a back-pack!
Old 07-16-2015, 04:31 PM

Default fire

I have seen a few over the years and they are typically from a hot bearing that ignites the chaff around them. I have a 3 gallon rechargeable water that I carry on mine. You fill it with water then charge it to a 100 psi with N2 or air. The back pack style is fine to as long as its full of water all the time. Quiet a few of the fields we put up don't have a water body close to refill. The key is noticing the fire quick enough. Always carry something as it will usually buy you at least enough time to get the tractor unhooked. I think the extinguisher and bracket were under $200
Old 07-16-2015, 04:39 PM

I heard a fire chief on the radio saying he considered a traditional 10 pound extinguisher the minimum for use on farm equipment
Old 07-16-2015, 05:19 PM

Canadian Tire any good for extinguishers?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:31 PM

Talking

Go to your nearest farm equipment dealership. Most carry them. Safety supply outfits will carry them too. Get one with a mounting bracket so you can mount it to your baler. They are pressurized with air. They can be recharged by you very easily with water and an air compressor. They are not cheap but if you have ever had a fire in a baler you will know that time is precious. You will not have time to go refill anything. A chemical extinguisher may knock the flames down but the heat an embers will re-ignite the fire. The only thing that will work is a 2 gallon water filled extinguisher.
Have a good one!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:39 PM

A pressure water or back pack style works also check into ( wet Water) add it to the water it brakes down the surface tension of hay or straw to let the water penetrate
Old 07-17-2015, 03:36 PM

Good fire insurance!
Old 07-17-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
I don't know if this helps, but I was talking with a local volunteer fire-fighter, he was saying they've started using a leaf-blower to put out grass fires, apparently you just blow it out and follow up the hot-spots with a back-pack!

There are 4 parts to a fire.

Flue - Oxygen - heat - chain reaction

blowing oxygen sounds like a receipt for disaster. High winds is the reason most forest fires become uncontrollable.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:36 PM

Default .

we use the ones that you fill with water and than pressure up, have one on the forage harvester, and I can say from experience, they do work well
Old 07-17-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965BB View Post
Go to your nearest farm equipment dealership. Most carry them. Safety supply outfits will carry them too. Get one with a mounting bracket so you can mount it to your baler. They are pressurized with air. They can be recharged by you very easily with water and an air compressor. They are not cheap but if you have ever had a fire in a baler you will know that time is precious. You will not have time to go refill anything. A chemical extinguisher may knock the flames down but the heat an embers will re-ignite the fire. The only thing that will work is a 2 gallon water filled extinguisher.
Have a good one!
X2. You need the thermal mass of the water to cool down the metal and belts. I've been lucky and caught the 2 or 3 bearing fires I've had early, water extinguisher worked well. If it was already burning hard I would kick out the bale and start cutting burning belts off, or park facing the wind and pull the pin.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang_on_sk View Post
I guess a fire fighter would know his stuff, but I'd sure be leery of that thing blowing burning straw all over the place and starting 100 fires.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binocular View Post
I have seen a few over the years and they are typically from a hot bearing that ignites the chaff around them. I have a 3 gallon rechargeable water that I carry on mine. You fill it with water then charge it to a 100 psi with N2 or air. The back pack style is fine to as long as its full of water all the time. Quiet a few of the fields we put up don't have a water body close to refill. The key is noticing the fire quick enough. Always carry something as it will usually buy you at least enough time to get the tractor unhooked. I think the extinguisher and bracket were under $200
That's what happened to my brother. First time using his new to him bailer and the wheel bearing started the fire. He never had a chance to unhook his one month old tractor. All he could do was watch her burn.