Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-17-2022, 10:20 AM

Default Second hand pistol market after aug 19?

Unclear whether or not a guy can sell/buy handguns on the second hand market after the 19th, can anyone shed some light? Thank you!

Last edited by morinj; 08-17-2022 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:19 PM

Should be able to buy/sell second hand, as long as it's in the country. They're current plan on the 19th is to ban imports, so no new guns from manufacturers and distributors which need to cross the border, and no used guns from other countries through auctions like Gunbroker, using import services like Prophet River, Irunguns, Borderview, etc. My understanding, anyway.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:40 PM

One of our sponsors just posted about this here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...08#post4550108

Exchanging restricted handguns that are already in the country prior to August 19th, whether new or second hand market, will still continue until such time as Parliament resumes and they can ram C-21 through. Senate will rubber stamp it, it expect.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-17-2022, 02:59 PM

Interesting times out there right now.

Heard more handguns have been sold/transfered in the last 2 months than have in the previous, excluding said 2 months of course, 8 years.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:05 PM

The funniest thing about this whole debacle, is that this whole ban is said to NOT decrease the smuggling of handguns over the border, so the only ones who’ll be able to buy new handguns, will be mostly of the criminal element!

Last edited by morinj; 08-17-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:26 PM

And since this idiot government has made so many of us criminals now, I've talked to many who have decided that scruples are pointless. These virtue signalling do-nothing acts actually are making people who were formerly law abiding decide that maybe the laws aren't worth obeying after all. I've heard this a good bit at gun range and gun counter.

Well done, JT, well done....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-17-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
And since this idiot government has made so many of us criminals now, I've talked to many who have decided that scruples are pointless. These virtue signalling do-nothing acts actually are making people who were formerly law abiding decide that maybe the laws aren't worth obeying after all. I've heard this a good bit at gun range and gun counter.

Well done, JT, well done....
I had a conversation with a fellow last week along that line, focusing on environmental regulations, but firearms were used as an example. Previously, it was you took the course, they did the background checks, the license was issued, you went to a reputable dealer and bought a firearm. Now, some just won't buy them, granted, but some people that want a firearm are going to get a firearm. Their options are slowly being reduced to making one, buying one off the street, or smuggling one in. Pretty clear in my mind which is the "safer" option of the two scenarios above.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:00 PM

Always own at least one gun and have the ammo or components to make it useable.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:24 AM

Quote:
One of our sponsors just posted about this here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...08#post4550108

Exchanging restricted handguns that are already in the country prior to August 19th, whether new or second hand market, will still continue until such time as Parliament resumes and they can ram C-21 through. Senate will rubber stamp it, it expect.
As per the Government of Canada’s Aug 5th, 2022 announcement, under the authority of the Export and Import Permits Act, there will be an introduction of new, temporary import control measures related to restricted handguns. Accordingly, the import of handguns into Canada will require an individual import permit issued by GAC.

Zing!
Old 08-18-2022, 07:53 AM

Highly unlikely, but you have to wonder whether the fed is gearing up to only allow the corporations with the deepest pockets and political influence to sell these types of firearms, or if this whole thing was set to cause fear and frenzy, in order to create a cash inflow into the governments coffers! Don’t forget the governments gets a piece of the pie on every one of these things being sold!
Old 08-18-2022, 08:45 AM

Hard to believe that, when this government doesn't care about money at all. Not sure why they would need to generate revenue, the balance will budget itself . The only 'revenue' they have created (carbon, luxury tax, etc) isn't about money, but about control of the population
Old 08-20-2022, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Highly unlikely, but you have to wonder whether the fed is gearing up to only allow the corporations with the deepest pockets and political influence to sell these types of firearms, or if this whole thing was set to cause fear and frenzy, in order to create a cash inflow into the governments coffers! Don’t forget the governments gets a piece of the pie on every one of these things being sold!
C-21 will stop the transfer of restricted handguns to individuals. There are no big corporations that will benefit from that. The exemptions to the temporary import ban will almost certainly be the same ones offered in C-21 when it is passed. Handguns will continue to be imported for agencies, and movies. Criminals will continue to smuggle them and the profits involved are likely to increase.
Old 08-20-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
C-21 will stop the transfer of restricted handguns to individuals. There are no big corporations that will benefit from that. The exemptions to the temporary import ban will almost certainly be the same ones offered in C-21 when it is passed. Handguns will continue to be imported for agencies, and movies. Criminals will continue to smuggle them and the profits involved are likely to increase.
And just think of the resources that could be attained, through legal firearms/ammo sales, that could be directed to prevent illegal smuggling!!!
Old 08-20-2022, 05:23 PM

I heard a rationale that went...if the govt stops the import of handguns, people will buy up all available, clear the shelves. Then when the big ban starts, there wont be guns to compensate retailers for.
Old 08-24-2022, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I heard a rationale that went...if the govt stops the import of handguns, people will buy up all available, clear the shelves. Then when the big ban starts, there wont be guns to compensate retailers for.
FWIW in 1996 the Lieberals banned "saturday night specials". They forgot about dealer inventory guns, and they were neither grandfathered nor bought back. Dealers just lost them.
The current buy back details are not yet available, but there is every reason to expect that if dealers were offered compensation it would be based on wholesale pricing and lower than anything offered the public.
Of course if the public is not compensated, there is still the precedent set previously where dealers just wrote off the losses.
Old 08-29-2022, 11:01 AM

The dealer websites I watch are showing very little or zero handgun inventory. One that has a few in stock is asking prices about $300 higher per piece than the same gun sold for in June this year. I paid $599 for a Canik TP9SF on June 4th, now asking $899 for the same. Used prices on Gunpost are pretty much mirroring this. I saw some dingbat asking $3000 for the exact gun I sold last month for my cost - $750.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
The dealer websites I watch are showing very little or zero handgun inventory. One that has a few in stock is asking prices about $300 higher per piece than the same gun sold for in June this year. I paid $599 for a Canik TP9SF on June 4th, now asking $899 for the same. Used prices on Gunpost are pretty much mirroring this. I saw some dingbat asking $3000 for the exact gun I sold last month for my cost - $750.
Pretty much what I'm seeing. People asking around $1,200 - $1,400 for a used Glock that had a MSRP of $800.
Old 08-29-2022, 01:42 PM

You are still allowed to sell but good luck getting a transfer to go through before new legislation is passed. I know they're busy but I can't help feel the hand of the feds is slowing down the CFO office....

I've patiently been waiting several months for approvals. Running out of time.

Used to take 2 days... now more than two months.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:26 PM

Anybody have any feedback or opinion as to whether or not the Fed may halt transfers awaiting approval, and if so, would one be eligible for a refund, if the legislation passes come fall!?!
Old 08-30-2022, 10:16 PM

I am wondering the same. Say I bought a handgun privately and the transfer is still not complete. What happens if that transfer is not completed after the date when selling is no longer legal? The transfer was iniatated long before, but not completed and the date has come.
Old 08-30-2022, 10:27 PM

If the transfer is initiated prior to the legislation being passed, it still has to be dealt with (approved) as it was commenced prior to the new laws coming into effect. That is my understanding of it. There were transfers of ARs and such that were in motion prior to the OIC ban that were approved after the ban came into effect.

Old 08-30-2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
If the transfer is initiated prior to the legislation being passed, it still has to be dealt with (approved) as it was commenced prior to the new laws coming into effect. That is my understanding of it. There were transfers of ARs and such that were in motion prior to the OIC ban that were approved after the ban came into effect.
That’s great news Canuck!!! I know that you pay attention to details!
Old 08-30-2022, 10:55 PM

I have been wondering since the announcement if they simply will move it all to the prohibited category, and eventually get rid of RPAL altogether, or at least its purpose anyway. That would be my best guess and what I would put my money on. Pretty sure I suggested it here a few times previously. Didn’t they clearly state they were going to ban import, buying and selling, or otherwise transferring ownership of handguns when the news “hit the streets” back in May? Usually they go for more, not less after similar legislation announcements. I also very much doubt it will be reversed by a potential conservative government. This is here to stay, not much doubt in my mind.

So yes, they will process the transfers that were initiated prior to the legislation taking effect in the near future. However, there will be none after and likely they will nicely ask to bring all those handguns “back” to the government for some amount of money. Maybe not right away, but…

Having said that, I purchased, just because, a CZ Kadet on June 8. I received the transfer earlier today, August 30. That would be 83 days, excluding today. Missed out on a few Sig’s I wanted, but it is what it is. I am fairly confident in my mind that we won’t be able to use them soon enough anyway.