Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-08-2013, 07:37 AM

Default Beretta A400 Xtreme

Last fall, I purchased a new A400 Xtreme due to Beretta's claim of a 70% reduction in recoil. I also own a 12 gauge SxS and a 12 gauge 870 pump. While there is somewhat less recoil from the Beretta, I certainly doubt that it's 70%.

The recoil of the Berreta was hitting me hard in the cheek. Last week I switched out the 'spacers' to maximize both the amount of drop and cast off. This produced a positive result. However, I still doubt Beretta's claim of a 70%reduction in recoil.

Anyone else with a A400 Xtreme want to share their thoughts on the amount of reduced recoil?

Bobby B.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 AM

My A400 Xtreme is the softest shooting 12 gauge that I own. Does it recoil 70% less than other gas operated guns,I highly doubt it. However, if you shoot a 3-1/2" shell out of a pump action, and compare it to the same load in the A400, the difference is huge.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:16 AM

I'm wondering if some 1/2" tall 'sight pins' installed on the barrel would enable me to further lift my cheek off the stock and reduce the felt kick to my cheek.

Bobby B.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:33 AM

It is sometimes strange how adjustment of the stock changes recoil. For example the McMillan stock I put on my 85 moved the recoil off my cheek down more onto my shoulder and reduced jump. It in my eye has much less drop than the factory original.

You should try some different adjustments bases on how you like to see the target and pattern before adjusting to try to change recoil. I for example like to see a little bit of barrel and cover the bird. Many others instinctively place the bird above the barrel and see nothing but the bead.

Once a shotgun is adjusted to where it is just "point and shoot" without giving a thought to aiming you are kind of stuck with how the gun recoils IMO.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:46 AM

I for one would avoid any of the add on "ribs" or "beads", or "pins", as they distract the shooter, and cause issues of their own. I have removed these devices from the barrels of shotguns, because people were having issues shooting skeet, and their scores increased substantially as a result. Unlike a rifle, shotguns are pointed, rather than being precisely aimed, with the shooter focusing on the target, and not the bead. Those add on devices result in the person concentrating on the bead, and not the target.

As for the A400, I sold mine, because even with the drop at comb maximized with the shims, it still wasn't enough for me. I find that Browning shotguns fit me much better, because they have more drop at comb.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Not to derail a specific thread but all shotgun manufacters claims are pretty bogus. In a few more years you'll have to hold the gun from flying away! Claims of 126 percent reduction are just around the corner.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:07 AM

I would sell it while it still has only 4 boxes and not a scratch. Chalk it up to experience and a gun just not fitting. It's a very popular shotgun and it will be sold for a fair price in a week.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:15 AM

When I purchased mine, it was a poor fit and agree it didn't feel that soft. I brought it to P&D to the gunsmith and got him to personally fit it for me. Best $70 I ever spent, got a mid bead put in and will have to say without a doubt, softest shooting 12 ga I have shot in 35 yrs. I have shot all the Benelli's, versamax, browning maxus and it shoots softer. Browning Maxus is right behind this gun IMO. Biggest difference for me is not having to reaquire target after each shot, it stays right there which is SWEET! I get no cheek abrasion like I did on the Beretta with KO with just 2 dampeners like the Urika II. Getting a shotgun personally fit makes a world of difference. As far as their claim of 70% reduction, think it is all a marketing ploy lol, I don't believe that to be true. but to my conclusion, it is the softest of what I tried.....I didn't buy it for just its kick off system, but it was a huge bonus for me especially when you spend a ton of time in the field
Old 09-08-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
When I purchased mine, it was a poor fit and agree it didn't feel that soft. I brought it to P&D to the gunsmith and got him to personally fit it for me. Best $70 I ever spent, got a mid bead put in and will have to say without a doubt, softest shooting 12 ga I have shot in 35 yrs. I have shot all the Benelli's, versamax, browning maxus and it shoots softer. Browning Maxus is right behind this gun IMO. Biggest difference for me is not having to reaquire target after each shot, it stays right there which is SWEET! I get no cheek abrasion like I did on the Beretta with KO with just 2 dampeners like the Urika II. Getting a shotgun personally fit makes a world of difference. As far as their claim of 70% reduction, think it is all a marketing ploy lol, I don't believe that to be true. but to my conclusion, it is the softest of what I tried.....I didn't buy it for just its kick off system, but it was a huge bonus for me especially when you spend a ton of time in the field
Thanks, for the info. I bought the Beretta because it was presented as a great performing shotgun with reduced recoil. I intend to start spending a ton of time in the field. Hope to start entering into semi-retirement phase starting next year. Who at P+D fit your shotgun to you? Perhaps they could fit mine to me.

Bobby B.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I would sell it while it still has only 4 boxes and not a scratch. Chalk it up to experience and a gun just not fitting. It's a very popular shotgun and it will be sold for a fair price in a week.
This would be my last strategy as I do appreciate the features of this shotgun.

Bobby B.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:42 PM

Default get it fit

Have someone who is qualified, fit the gun for you. Makes a world of difference. Selling the gun wont make the issue go away, unless you get lucky enough to find a gun with just the perfect fit for you. If you are sensitive to recoil, they dont make them much better than the A400.
70% reduction though? 70% less than what? Maybe 70% less than an old CIL single-shot with a 2x4 stock 70% less than an old marlin 10ga goose-gun for sure!
The only thing I can honestly say about mine, is that I am not a huge semi-auto fan, and I find the self-loading feature throws me off some. If all you have ever shot previously is sxs,o/u or pump style guns, this might be an intimidating factor. Overall, I know I have never owned a softer recoiling gun.