Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2019, 08:55 PM

Default Home security vivint

Just had a sales guy come an spend an hr explaining the whole gig.fancy cameras,coded doors sensors all that fancy stuff.says it’ll drop my insurance and that saving will make this worth it..??any ideas or experience with this??
Old 05-30-2019, 09:02 PM

Run.
Check reviews on the bastards.
Horrible company.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-30-2019, 09:04 PM

No. Not worth it.

"Ring" alarm. Google it.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:23 PM

Been using them for a while and they have always addressed issues I've had. They have upset me a few times but have come through. We did renue with them at a reduced rate, I think $45 a month, plus some extra equipment. All the techs that came out were great. Dealing on the phone hit and miss.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:45 PM

Go for a monitored DIY system like Ring or Abode instead of those crooks. That salesman is just telling you what you want to hear. The insurance savings might add up in 10 years if they didn't charge so much for the service.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 PM

We got ADT in our new place when we moved to Alberta last fall they seem good. Everyone else in our neighbourhood had Vivint when we first moved but most have switched to Fluent. Fluent sales guy stopped in at our place a couple months ago and was gonna buy out our ADT contract to switch to Fluent until I told him I was only 5 months into my contract. They are all very comparable in pricing some have different options. Some when there is a security issue call the police and some call a security company which send rent-a-cops(security guards NOT POLICE) so do some research.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:11 PM

Vivint and fluent were barred from entering Lloydminster due to their business practises. It was eventually overturned, but the writing was on the wall. Cancelling a contract with either quickly turns into litigation.
Be very careful.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-30-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Run.

Check reviews on the bastards.

Horrible company.
×2

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2019, 12:23 AM

Vivint is the greasiest of the greasy.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:35 AM

I have 2 stories about them. One time salesmen comes to the door, does his spiel, I kindly say no thanks. He would not take no for a answer. I finally lose my patience and tell him to beat it. My 9 yr old daughter was playing in the yard at the time, on his way down the driveway he tells her your dads a *******. I didn’t find out till later.

Next time we just had a baby and I was in the room with him. Wife was watching tv in the living room. Next thing I hear voices in the hall way. The salesman convinced her to let him inspect our smoke detectors. He was telling her the batteries are no good and it’s expired. 3 yr old house with hard wired detectors. When he seen me come out of the bedroom he just turned and walked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2019, 06:39 AM

Gawd their salesmen are pushy, had the same salesman call on us three times in one week, his last time to the house, he asked to speak to the wife. I finally lost it and told him to PO.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-31-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Vivint and fluent were barred from entering Lloydminster due to their business practises. It was eventually overturned, but the writing was on the wall. Cancelling a contract with either quickly turns into litigation.
Be very careful.
^^^^^
Old 05-31-2019, 07:23 AM

These fear mongers come into our quiet cul-de-sac a couple times a year and try to explain how my neighbors are all getting security systems due to the rash of break ins in my neighborhood. Lie to my family, trying to make me afraid in my own home to line their pockets. The scum who hop fences to steal bags of bottles have more integrity than these snake oil salesmen. At least you know what they are about.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:26 AM

I will never forget when they came to our house, after telling him no twice, he put his hand on the door to prevent me from closing it. Um, what? I told him to remove his hand and get off my property or he would be wiping his ass with a hook.

All the salesman look like meth-heads too
Old 05-31-2019, 08:15 AM

We have their system, and it’s ok. Like was mentioned earlier, you can get really good self monitored systems now and that’s what I would use.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:43 AM

I did a ton of research and finally decided on NOX Security. They are three brothers that run the company. I reached out to them and the one brother David actually came to my house. He explained his equipment, the cost, and his real world experience with the equipment.

At the end of it, he handed over his business card and said if we have any questions to get a hold of them.

I didn't hear from him again until I contacted him to let him know that we would like to use his services.

They are monitored by Stanley Security and use alarm.com app. I have the flood detection, hard wired camera with data hub, glass break sensors, panic button, door close detectors on 3 doors, window detectors on 4 windows, smoke detector, and the panel. I chose to pay up half up front for $1500 and then my bill is $65/month after that for 2 years. After that it will drop to $45 for the remaining time I use them.

They will move the equipment for free if you sell your house or you can transfer it over to the new owners.

In the 1.5 years I've had it, the only time I've had to get a hold of them is when I got a new phone and needed my log in information because I forgot it.

They have been flawless other wise.

Here is their link if you're interested

http://www.noxsecurity.com/
Old 05-31-2019, 09:28 AM
Banned

Have had ADT for about 10 years now and perfectly happy.
Have had two incidences with them. One was a bacon accident (burned to crisp ). Unfortunately for some reason one of my boys had turned off the phone ringer the night before so no one answered the phone when they called to see if there was an issue. Within 5 minutes there was fire truck in front of our house. Embarrassed as hell but also gave me peace of mind...if there was real fire it is obviously money well spent.
Another time an errant baseball broke a window. I have the voice monitoring system and immediately a voice came on in the house asking if I was home and what the password was to prove I was the homeowner.
Again...did a lot for peace of mind.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:33 AM

Anyone that shows up to your door to sell things beware.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
Anyone that shows up to your door to sell things beware.
No. 1 rule never buy anything at your front door except thin mints or chocolate almonds.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 AM

I made the mistake of signing up for Vivint almost 5 years ago. I was led to believe that the contract was for $50/month, but in actuality it was $62/month.
I tried to cancel a couple months in, upon realizing the price difference, but it became clear that I would need to get legal council in order to do so, which would have likely cost more than the Vivint service. Our contract expires in a few months, and we will NOT renew.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortex View Post
I made the mistake of signing up for Vivint almost 5 years ago. I was led to believe that the contract was for $50/month, but in actuality it was $62/month.
I tried to cancel a couple months in, upon realizing the price difference, but it became clear that I would need to get legal council in order to do so, which would have likely cost more than the Vivint service. Our contract expires in a few months, and we will NOT renew.
You might want to look into their auto-renewal. They used to have a clause that says you have to cancel before 180 days from end of term. Greeeeeeeeasy.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
You might want to look into their auto-renewal. They used to have a clause that says you have to cancel before 180 days from end of term. Greeeeeeeeasy.
X2... get on it... they have and will auto-renew and then your screwed, another outfit that dos this is weedman. The grass/weed people, neighbour got absolutely screwed by them.

Don't wait till it expires, call them ahead and be sure you no longer want the service.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:56 AM

Similar experience with VIVINT... Saleman knocks on the door last year (second time in 3 mos).

I politely stop him mid-explanation and say, "Thanks, but I'm not interested. I have a 4-legged security system already."

Then he starts questioning me, "Well, where's the dog huh ? I haven't heard it bark." while trying to look past me into the house.

I immediately told him to, "get off my property, and don't come back unless you want a severe case of summer teeth"...

Old 05-31-2019, 10:10 AM

My wife told a vivint saleslug to go away, after he put his hand in the door.

I caught up to him, he lied to me saying she swore and screamed at him, and so on. I was in the basement listening, she did no such thing. I caught up to him down another street, and he informed me that unless posted they have every right to door knock, nobody could stop them.

Calling the RCMP might be the answer with these slugs. Or summer teeth (lol) I have been very close a couple times.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:18 AM

Default Stay AWAY!

Had Vivint for 5 years...Monitoring is out of Utah, whenever you call for service that is who you talk to. They are really sticky about the contracts and their customer service is awful. The monitoring was always pretty good, but when the sensors started to fail after 3 years, they suddenly weren't so accommodating. We had to call 4 times to cancel our service because their customer service reps were so bad. Ended up putting a stop payment on them to ensure we would not be "mistakenly charged" for services no longer being supplied.

We now use Telus Home Security and have DIY video cameras. Best decision we ever made.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:18 AM

I have reliance protectron and know it works as I was cutting some drywall with a rotary cutter and the dust set off the smoke alarm.
The problem was the alarm works on my landline. So I was calling them to ignore the alarm but kept getting a busy signal as the alarm was tying up my land line
Soon the fire truck showed up with a reported fire and I had to show the fire guys what I was doing.
You get one free false alarm in Calgary and then you pay.
I want to get rid of my land line but do not want to pay over $100.00 to Protectron to rehook up without a landline.
I now have them call my cell phone but the whole thing seems like a hassle.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:28 AM

A few summers ago we had a rash of doorbell ringing, someone would come latre at night and ring everyone's doorbell. This went on for two weeks. Then coincidentally, Vivent shows up. I actually wanted a security camera to watch my driveway because I had a few vehicle break ins, the salesman said he could do that and installed an entire system for the house. When I asked where the driveway camera was, he showed me this little INDOOR webcam that he said I could stick in my window (which doesn't even have a view of the driveway). He left and I tried to get this little useless camera to work, with no success. I called them and they told me they had nothing to cover the driveway, I was angry because that was the first thing I asked them. Then I went to the internet to discover that it's next to impossible to get out of the contract. So I read the fine print. I needed to FAX them within 10 days to have the system removed. I did so and got no response. After a month I left them a message stating that I followed all the rules and if they don't come and get their gear, it is going in the garbage. They finally got back to me and removed the equipment, leaving holes in my walls and other issues.

Then I talked to my neighbor down the street. He told me that there was a car that would pull up at night and drop two people off who would go around and ring doorbells... this made me even more angry because the salesman showed up to save the day after this went on for a week or two. After tehey installed systems in the neighborhood, the doorbell ringing stopped immediately
Old 05-31-2019, 10:30 AM
Banned

Also had a bad experience with Vivint. About a year ago had a fellow show up at my door who flashed his ID badge way to fast to actually see anything. Proceeded to tell me how he was with ADT and just wanted to have a look at my system to see if there were any upgrades they could make at 'minimal' cost.
Didn't seem right so I pressed him on the matter and he finally admitted he was with Vivint and the papers I would be signing would not be to upgrade my system...but to cancel it and install there's.
They should be put out of business if you ask me...that's fraud.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:44 AM
Banned

An hour with the guy??

Hopefully he isn’t one of those guys that pretend to work for an alarm company and you invite him into your home, he sees your nice stuff, and comes back in a couple days, knowing there isn’t anything to deter him and make off with your stuff.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Also had a bad experience with Vivint. About a year ago had a fellow show up at my door who flashed his ID badge way to fast to actually see anything. Proceeded to tell me how he was with ADT and just wanted to have a look at my system to see if there were any upgrades they could make at 'minimal' cost.
Didn't seem right so I pressed him on the matter and he finally admitted he was with Vivint and the papers I would be signing would not be to upgrade my system...but to cancel it and install there's.
They should be put out of business if you ask me...that's fraud.
That guy would have his picture all over social media if he came to my place.