Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Default 180g ballistic tip?

Just wondering if the 180g ballistic tip would work well for elk out of my 30.06? It will be loaded to around or approx 2600fps. The reason i ask is they shoot great from my rifle and take less speed to expand or open up compared to the accubond. I read that in .30 cal bullet weights of 180g and above are constructed like a non bonded accubond and don't fragment like the lighter ones do. Is this true? Also they penetrate better at lower muzzle velocity's around 2700fps. This is just from Internet forms so i'm skeptical about believing it, but it also makes sence if you think about it. Anyhow just wanted to hear some thoughts on this, I will be using them on whitetails this year and would hate to run into an elk and not have enough bullet to do the job. Thanks. jay.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:06 PM

I think that you should be happy with their perfomance. I think that the main reason that the nonbonded cores have got bad press is that people drive bullets past their functional velocity envelope then hit the forums and whine about core seperation, lack of penetration and excessive weight loss. I've never had any problems with non premium bullets. Try it and see for yourself.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:32 PM

I have killed eight elk and two moose with the 180gr Ballistic tip launched out of a 300RUM at 3340fps.The later versions of the .308" -180gr ballistic tips are much tougher than earlier versions,and I have had them penetrate both front shoulders of a bull elk and still retain 60% of their weight.They aren't a TSX or TTSX,but they are quite capable of cleanly killing elk and moose.
However,the 165gr versions tend to be much softer,just like the older 180gr versions that came in the 100 count box.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:04 PM

A great choice!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:22 PM

Thanks guys. I thought they would work well at lower velocity's and aparently at higher too. lol
Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 AM

I use them in my 300 win mag on deer and elk. No worrise. I've never had tem exit, but did a LOT of damage to the vitals. I have used them in my 308 and had even better results. Pass throughs with great destruction to the vitals. Not against using them out of my 300, but the have worked better for me out of my 308.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker34 View Post
I use them in my 300 win mag on deer and elk. No worrise. I've never had tem exit, but did a LOT of damage to the vitals. I have used them in my 308 and had even better results. Pass throughs with great destruction to the vitals. Not against using them out of my 300, but the have worked better for me out of my 308.
I have they same problem shooting them outof my 30-378 weatherby to much damage lots of bullet fragments, swithched to the accubonds and have had much better results with bullets staying intact.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 PM

Default ballistic tips

Do not hit behind the diaphram you will re-gret shooting these. I however only shoot nosler bullets out of my guns. 180 ballistic tips out of a 300 win mag can get explosive sometimes. However out of a 30-06 they should work really well. I perfer the 165 out of a 30-06 because they are a little flatter and do a wonderful job from deer to moose. Like I said hard angle shots that require cutting some gut to get to the vitals are not recommended. You will open the cavity and not know where the intestines start and wind pipe ends. I have only recoved a few and it was out of elk. Deer they always passed through. That being said I never have a problem picking up a blood trail if the animal didn't flop where it was standing.