Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-04-2023, 10:18 PM

Default Best spots to shoot

Recently obtained my Pal/RPAL and curious what some of the best spots to shoot are south of Calgary. Specifically a 30-06 rifle I'd like to sight in properly.
Old 09-05-2023, 01:27 PM

You might get more information if you asked this question in the hunting section.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 09-05-2023, 03:02 PM

It's a bit of a drive but I go to Brooks and buy a Fish and Game membership every fall prior to hunting season. I think it's $80 but get's you year round access to their range. And it's a great range. I got fed up dealing with the headaches of trying to shoot on crown land. And it supports a good cause.
Old 09-06-2023, 02:45 PM

Agreed on the membership. My range also plays a big hand of conservancy. Win win
Old 09-06-2023, 05:02 PM

Default Echo

I would echo some of what previous posters have said. Consider what you want and need in a gun club, then go online and look at what the different clubs around the province offer. Pick one that best suits you.

The stronger our gun clubs are the harder they will be able to fight for our rights to own and use firearms. The more members they have the stronger they are financially and the larger the voice they have to represent you and I.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:18 PM

I have 2 memberships one here in LLoydminster at the local range which lets me do sight in, and shoot out to 300 yards with my rifles, it gives me a place to burn gun powder without any hassel and also be a member of Lloyd Fish and Wildlife.
The 2nd membership is at Nose hill, it's a 2 hr drive but it has everything I want or need to do some long range shooting, it's absolutely great. I am retired so I can shoot in the mornings during the week and for the most part I'm the only guy at the range, that's a big plus for me.

2 of us made the trip to nose hill last week, we left home at 7:00 AM and were set up on a bench shooting by 9:15, we shot a couple hrs had some lunch shot a little more and were back home by 4:00 just a great day, membership does have it's advantages.

Pick an appropriate gun club join up and enjoy your shooting, forget the crown land stuff, if your lucky enough to have friends or family with land cool by all means fill your boots.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:54 PM

Default Nose Hill

I am thinking of getting a Nose Hill membership. I am 4 hours away from it but it has targets out to 1400 yrds and that really appeals to me.

Anything I should know that would help me make my decision?
Old 09-06-2023, 07:20 PM

I was on a waiting list for the Milo range. Finally after a year I got in. I’s a nice range and an hour drive for me. I drop the boat off at mcgreggor, goto range shoot a bit, then go fishing. Great way to kill a day while the wife is working.
Can always apply, at least get on the list.

Tullfan
Old 09-06-2023, 07:26 PM

Become a member of a club its the best way

less grief in the long run.

Joining a club you meet like minded people and when that happens

who knows good karma for all.

A membership say....250.00 a year = about 21.00 +/- a month

break it down more if you want
Old 11-17-2023, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post
It's a bit of a drive but I go to Brooks and buy a Fish and Game membership every fall prior to hunting season. I think it's $80 but get's you year round access to their range. And it's a great range. I got fed up dealing with the headaches of trying to shoot on crown land. And it supports a good cause.
Wow I completely missed replying to this. Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated guys.

What club in Brooks specifically? That sounds like a good option though it's a bit far for me generally speaking, but for that price I'd make it out at least a couple times per year.

Nose Hill looks great, but that's almost 4 hours from me unfortunately. The best option for me seems to be the Milo range; went ahead and added myself to the waiting list. It's unfortunate the waiting period is so long, but I can understand why.
Old 11-17-2023, 11:12 PM

Have you checked out the homestead ranges west of Calgary?
Old 11-18-2023, 12:28 AM

Which would those be; BTSA etc.?
Old 11-18-2023, 11:17 AM

Yes. Swiss, Rosebud, BTSA, Full Bore.