Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 PM

Default Removing primers from cases

I had the same problems at the range today (delayed fire and misfire) and I think the problem must be in the sizing. I noticed that the cases I have had trouble with have all been from the same new batch. I am thinking that maybe I didn't size them correctly or something. Either that or the primer problem that was mentioned before. My problem now is I have 100 cases that are primed and probably sized wrong.
Can the primers be safely removed so that I can resize them again? If so, how does this occur? Should I just throw them out? If so, where do I dispose of them properly?

HELP!!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:49 PM

Chamber the primed cases and pull the trigger on them until they ignite. in addition, I've decapped many primed cases with no concern. How would decapping an unspent primer iniate ignition?

Bobby B.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:56 PM

Have de-capped a few thousand in my time too...usually very old mil-surp rounds where I wanted to just use the bullet and case and wanted a " new" primer installed once the cases were cleaned up. Deprime slow with steady pressure if you go that route .

If the cases can be resized and re-used... just take the de-capping pin out of your deacpping rod and just resize if you haven't any primer issues and want to leave them in place
Old 08-05-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
How would decapping an unspent primer iniate ignition?

Bobby B.
I didn't know if it would be safe to do so or not. I thought I should ask instead of "just givin' er". My wife is leary as it is. I can only imagine what she would do if 1 went off.

Thanks for the replies though guys. Much appreciated.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:05 AM
gitrdun

You can decapp your cases without damage or danger. Just push them thru you resizing die as you normally would, by pushing thru slowly. Just wear safety glasses as a precaution. The primers won't ignite unless you're an idiot and blast your decapper thru at idiotic speed. If you don't feel up to the task, then spay them internally with WD40 and soak for 24 hours. That will basically take the "idiot" factor out of the equation. Or better yet, get your mother in law to decapp them.

Did I mention that decapping should not be undertaken by an idiot. If that's the case, then what is an idiot doing with a reloading press. ??????????????
Old 08-06-2008, 08:06 AM

or you could remove your decapping pin from your die to resize it.