Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-03-2024, 08:06 AM

Smile Public auto insurance?

Am I hearing this right? In the heart of free enterprise and cutting fat from government is the UCP realling looking at getting into the auto insurance business?

Sometimes I have trouble telling one party's policies from the other ones.

Does someone here have information that they can share, I find this hard to believe.

Thx
Old 06-03-2024, 09:05 AM

I hope they don't go no fault, let the people with the bad records pay more, and those of us with good records, enjoy lower premiums. The one price for all benefits the bad drivers, at the expense of the good drivers.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:48 AM

Never thought I'd see the day. I guess the embarrassment of having more expensive car insurance than BC would make anyone reconsider their system.
Old 06-03-2024, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Never thought I'd see the day. I guess the embarrassment of having more expensive car insurance than BC would make anyone reconsider their system.
More expensive on average, but not more expensive for everyone. So the drivers with bad records pay much less with the fixed price rates, and the drivers with the good records pay more. I started driving in Saskatchewan, under a fixed rate system, and it was cheaper for me as a teenager, but once I had been driving 10 years, and had a perfect record, I was paying less in Alberta than my father in Saskatchewan , who also had a clean record, and was insuring a much cheaper vehicle.
The people with horrible records, as in recent impaired driving, or having had their licenses suspended for many violations , or recent accident claims, will be thrilled, but those of us with long term clean driving records will pay more.
Old 06-03-2024, 10:35 AM

Government insurance operations never calculate their operating costs the same as a private corporation.

Their buildings are operated by public works at no cost to the insurance operation. Employee costs, pension liability etc fall into treasury. The point being all taxpayers are picking up the liabilities while the insurance premiums are reported are income.

Public insurers are subject to the whims and corruption of party politics typically ndp. They are used to give refunds during an election year, cut rates when it is unwarranted but politically expedient. The true cost of their labyrinth operation is impossible to calculate but one thing is certain they are another massive government bureaucracy supported by every taxpayer not just drivers.

Do we need more government?
Old 06-03-2024, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
More expensive on average, but not more expensive for everyone. So the drivers with bad records pay much less with the fixed price rates, and the drivers with the good records pay more. I started driving in Saskatchewan, under a fixed rate system, and it was cheaper for me as a teenager, but once I had been driving 10 years, and had a perfect record, I was paying less in Alberta than my father in Saskatchewan , who also had a clean record, and was insuring a much cheaper vehicle.
The people with horrible records, as in recent impaired driving, or having had their licenses suspended for many violations , or recent accident claims, will be thrilled, but those of us with long term clean driving records will pay more.
I've never been a cheerleader for BC's insurance, but the rates have sure been dropping for the last few years. They've also been sending out a rebate every year since they rebooted the whole corp and it finally started making money. And their prices do incentivize a good driving record, with a 40% safe driver decrease right off the top, so bad drivers pay a lot more than good drivers.I believe you only need 2 tickets to lose that.
Old 06-03-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I've never been a cheerleader for BC's insurance, but the rates have sure been dropping for the last few years. They've also been sending out a rebate every year since they rebooted the whole corp and it finally started making money. And their prices do incentivize a good driving record, with a 40% safe driver decrease right off the top, so bad drivers pay a lot more than good drivers.I believe you only need 2 tickets to lose that.
If they would drop the no fault, so you don't lose the discount if some idiot hits you through no fault of your own, they would have a good system.
Old 06-03-2024, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Maybe they got rid of some political appointees and hired some actual experienced insurance industry people to manage it.....