Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-23-2009, 10:43 AM

Default speed goat hunting in 102-118

I am a priority 8 and i put in my draw in 102-118
im from Grande Prairie Ive never hunt that area
One very nice guy from there already help me pick the 102-118.
If someone got more feedback on this or know were its easy to get permission
that would be great thx
where can find a cheap hotel close to 102-118 wmu ?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Its easy to get permission in both zones if you pick up a map or two and start making a few calls. Check some of the online stuff for the Agricultural Leaseholder contact info and you can gain some great access in the zone.

Fun zone....just make sure you GET OUT of your trucks and do some hiking if you want to kill a good buck. Too much country and not enough roads so the area lends itself well to hiking ridges, etc. The guys that drive roads see a lot of bucks, but the better hunt is on foot no doubt.

For motels....Manyberries has some rooms and other than that Elkwater is closer and Milk River would be another option. Not sure if Foremost has any rooms or not. Lots of guys bring campers or tents down and make a good camp out of it. Also some landowners rent rooms out of their houses or in guest bunk houses.....

Be prepared for fog.....that time of year in those zones is weird but there has been a trend of having some heavy fog show up that week and into early November. Also be prepared for wet snow possibly or rain. Its a weird time of year out there for weird weather.

Spend more time glassing than the next person and dont be afraid to get out and hike your tail off for a day or two. Also dont think that you have to shoot a buck on the first day like most guys. Spend your time and look at some bucks and find one that ya like..

Good luck!! Its awesome country and I've spent a pile of time out there....
Old 06-23-2009, 11:52 AM

Just to add to what Rackmastr said, there is a large public grazing reserve in that zone that holds a decent population of pronghorns.

http://srd.alberta.ca/lands/usingpub...sagecreek.aspx

There are a lot of hunters, but as mentioned, get off the road, put some miles on your boots, and go find your antelope.

Another thing to note, unless something has changed in the last year and a bit, is that gas is no longer available in Manyberries. We last hunted this zone in 2007, and we ended up staying in Medicine Hat because of the fuel issue.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM

There is gas available in the town of Elkwater. Not much for accommodation though - just one lodge with a couple of cabins and condo-style units.
Good home-cooked food in the community centre in Elkwater though!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:23 PM

We stay in elkwater when hunting 118. The cabins are cozy and the hotel is pretty good. Don't eat at the hotel restaurant. go to the "landing" restaurant. There is a nice little store there too to get supplies. We usually get the cabins and cook for ourselves to save $$. There is a gas station. don't expect any friendly chit chat with the guy who owns it though. He is probably the most miserable gas station owner I have ever seen. I was in there once and a guy came in and asked for directions. He replied: "what do I look like a ****in road map" I couldn't believe it. He also hates the SRD for cutting back the elk tags. He doesn't sell as much over priced gas when there aren't as many hunters. He didn't like it when I told him that the SRD would not base the tag numbers on the amount of gas he needs to sell. As others have said. get the permission and wear out a pair of boots. that 80' buck could be over the next hill
Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 PM

That old codger is a hoot! We've called him 'Chuckles' for years!
Old 06-23-2009, 10:22 PM

I was drawn last year. I passed around 200, 12" to 14" bucks looking for a monster. I walked about 100 miles, and antelope everywhere.
The research station and sage creek were good. One of the locals gave me some good advise. He said 2 weeks before the season you can't drive 1 mile without waiting for antelpoe to cross the road in front of you. 1 week before the season there are so many trucks spoting the antelope, they are pushed about 3 miles into those huge leases. I walked into those big leases, and when I hit the 3 or 4 mile mark there were massive herds,(like 2000 ish).

Drive around a bit to get the lay of the land like everyone else. Then park your truck on the side of the road and start walking. I was into bucks in every direction I traveled. Find places that don't have roads for miles and start hiking.
Good luck.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:23 PM

Default thx to every one

If someone need help for moose or elk around Grande Prairie
don't be afraid to ask.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 AM

It gets hunted hard. Too many tags given out the last few years. It is a good zone to hunt but if you plan on staying a while it cost a lot to hunt that 102 area. No gas. Stayed in Medicine hat when I hunted it. Cost $1000 by the time I was done the hunt but had a hoot. Drove a lot of areas and saw a lot of antelope. Killed the biggest 2 we found which just missed book by a quarter inch but I imagine there are some around there that found a hole to hide in that were lots bigger.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
It is a good zone to hunt but if you plan on staying a while it cost a lot to hunt that 102 area. No gas. Stayed in Medicine hat when I hunted it. Cost $1000 by the time I was done the hunt but had a hoot.
We hunted mulies down there last year and just bunked in the Ford Hilton.....the price was right!
Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
We hunted mulies down there last year and just bunked in the Ford Hilton.....the price was right!
You forgot to mention the added warmth when the first deer gets knocked down. A nice furry furnace to keep you warm and safe.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
It is a good zone to hunt but if you plan on staying a while it cost a lot to hunt that 102 area. No gas. Stayed in Medicine hat when I hunted it. Cost $1000 by the time I was done the hunt but had a hoot. Drove a lot of areas and saw a lot of antelope.
I personally think you can do this hunt quite cheap (as long as you're not stuck to a truck seat the whole time). If you stay in a motel in Medicine Hat even, all you have is a 45min-1hr drive into 102 and then you can hike all day long and see plenty of antelope.

I hear guys complain of how much money they spend hunting antelope, but most of these guys run a tank of fuel (or more) in their truck every day and spend a lot of time driving roads. While its nice to have a lay of the land by driving some of the area once, a guy really only needs to drive to a spot and then park and get out and hunt and you can be much more successful.

Motel 6 is a good new cheap motel close to the city limits that we stayed at when hunting 118 last. Great little motel for cheap. Also, if a guy does the proper research there are some very nice ranch houses and bunk houses that you can stay at for decent money right in the zone.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 AM

If you stay in Foremost there is a hotel and restaurant available there. You can also fuel up there and there's a guy that has a walk in cooler that he lets people hang animals in.

If you take the 879 south and get on the 501 and follow it east it will put you in some good speed goat country.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:57 AM

I agree with some of your thought there Rackmaster but I guarantee I saw way more animals driving around than the average guy. In the end after a few days we killed 2 bucks that were right at book. Just shy and killed the 2 best bucks we saw. I agree it ain't as much fun driving around but it is sucessfull that is for sure. Got to figure out a few spots for those big mulies you have been trying to kill down there as well.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I agree with some of your thought there Rackmaster but I guarantee I saw way more animals driving around than the average guy. In the end after a few days we killed 2 bucks that were right at book. Just shy and killed the 2 best bucks we saw. I agree it ain't as much fun driving around but it is sucessfull that is for sure. Got to figure out a few spots for those big mulies you have been trying to kill down there as well.
The big mulies I chase arent over that way, and definatly not near the road lol...though there are some good ones out that way for sure. Some good deer in both areas no doubt, but nothing like it used to be and definatly not the quality that I hunt in other zones.

You do see a lot of bucks driving around, but for a guy who has spent some time 3-5 miles off a road during antelope season, its crazy how many MORE you see and how many good bucks you see far away from vehicles. I have watched the antelope numbers out there throughout a year, and during the season the numbers close to the road (while still very good) are substantially reduced from the rest of the year.

Either way, different strokes for different folks. If a guy wants to drive and spend $1000 to kill a goat thats fine. I was just pointing out that the hunt is quite cheap if you do it away from a truck. In any case, its easy to kill good antelope in most zones hunting either method a guy wants to use....
Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Thing about it is, a guy with a tag only needs to kill one antelope, not a bunch of them. GUARANTEED, you will have FAR BETTER success in pre season locating and subsequently killing a cranker antelope by putting on the miles with the truck and looking at as many antelope as you possibly can. Its a one in 5000 antelope that most are looking for, if they want bone, and walking around will not provide that. The south, later hunt is different, abit.... Yes, walking during that migration hunt can be very productive, especially after afew barrels have been heated up from the road, but dont kid yourself or anyone else, if you kill a net B&C antelope with your next tag, it will probuably be your truck you will be thanking, not a newly miled out pair of boots.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-24-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Thing about it is, a guy with a tag only needs to kill one antelope, not a bunch of them. GUARANTEED, you will have FAR BETTER success in pre season locating and subsequently killing a cranker antelope by putting on the miles with the truck and looking at as many antelope as you possibly can. Its a one in 5000 antelope that most are looking for, if they want bone, and walking around will not provide that. The south, later hunt is different, abit.... Yes, walking during that migration hunt can be very productive, especially after afew barrels have been heated up from the road, but dont kid yourself or anyone else, if you kill a net B&C antelope with your next tag, it will probuably be your truck you will be thanking, not a newly miled out pair of boots.
I'm not kidding myself and not attempting to kid anyone. Big bucks can be killed both ways. What I'm saying is that a guy cant call it an 'expensive' hunt when some very good bucks are killed several miles from any road. Its a choice a guy has to make on driving vs hiking. I scout a lot from the truck to learn some areas in the pre-season, but come season I know the success from getting out there with a pack and boots and really hunting a good spot....

And you're right...a guy only needs to kill ONE....so you dont NEED cover every last inch of the zone in a truck to find that right buck. You just need to be in the right spot. For me, thats off the road a long ways....I've also hiked in almost every lease in 102/118 so I may be biased in what I know or some of the spots I know....

As pointed out, I could care less what others do....I road hunt a pile in a bunch of different types of hunting and its quite successful. I know when I hunted the 150's for antelope I drove around a heck of a lot more cause it was very successful in THAT zone. Completely different hunts though. I just think there are some very good opportunities down there for backpack style hunting in all the miles I've covered in the past.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned

I agree that you can get a good buck from the road but these zones definatly have a shortage of roads and needs some good foot work. We hunted down there last year as my uncle had a tag and I bet 98% of the hunters we saw were just driving around. My uncle had the tag and is getting up in years so we mainly drove also. But when I get my next tag(2yrs) my mountain bike and hiking boots will be getting used and the truck will be parked.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:58 PM

I haven't hunted 102 much but have hunted mulies in 118 a lot. I agree with rackmastr. In 118 you need to get off the roads and trails to really see what there is. There is a big shortage of roads and is mostly big leases. I do road hunt the area a bit(usually dusk and dawn). but midday there are some awesome walks to be had. One thing i noticed about the speed goats last fall in november was that they were VERY vehicle shy. While driving down a road you could come over a hill and see a herd 700-900 yards away. As soon as you appeared they took off running flat out. Definite sign of a lot of road hunters taking hail mary shots from near the roads. can you see and kill a good buck road hunting? absolutely. But the better hunt IMHO is definetly on foot. Just a quick note: If it rains please stay off the praire trails. The muddy conditions last year opening week had all the ranchers ticked right off at the ruts left from the mulie hunters. A lot of good areas were closed off by the time I got there for the second week of the season
Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 PM

I hunt 118 for mulies often, and antelope once ...so far. There are probably WMUs with bigger horn, but I choose 118 because of the extensive ranches that are off-limit to vehicles. You can park your truck and walk in any direction all day - and never be bothered by pick-ups or quads cruising the coulee rims. And seldom see other hunters.
I don't know if it's more effective at killing big animals than racking up the miles on the oil lease roads in other zones, but I see the inside of my truck enough for most of the year, and appreciate the opportunity to get out for some peace & quiet and stretch my eyes a little in that beautiful country.

- and Chateau Suburban for accommodation works for me!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Banned

the Mannyberries hotel is classy but watch the community tolet as it has a mean lean to the left
Old 06-25-2009, 06:48 AM
Gone Hunting

Ive had one tag for the migration hunt down there, and you arent wrong Rack. It is huge untouched country. I want to pull one more tag for that hunt before Im dead and gone, I just want to see that again. Its a great time, and an unreal spectacle to see. I was on a buddies place on Sage Creek. What I saw was unreal. I did miss my only shot on the hunt. Abit of a long poke at a great buck, prob push high 70's to 80 and swept way foreward. For what Ive seen the similarities between the two hunts, early and late are there. In any combination of early hunt zones theres no way you will see all the turf, its too vast, and you will never see all the antelope. Thats why most prefer to put the miles on looking at numbers, from the roads. Truth be told though, in its vastness, you are far better off picking a portion of one of the zones and making the decision to attempt to see every antelope within that area, be it 50 square miles or whatever a guy figures he can bite off and effectively work. It can be dictated by area. Thats where the similarities would be. You are saying whoa, its too big down here, ya cant see it all, and the goats are(for the hunt) pushed away from the few roads that exist anyways. Its virtually the same thing on the earlier hunts to the north, only difference is, where you find an antelope that you want, you will or should find him opening morning in the same area. Bottom line is though, and both hunts will be virtually identical in this regard, big antelope are where you find them. There are no real great spots and there is no such thing as a secret spot. It can all be very productive, and at one time or another, every peice of turf will be or has been inhabited by a slammer. I also understand what some guys are saying, they want to get at er and do it on foot with antelope, long hard miles, and take whatever come what may on their 7 plus yr tag. Thats cool to me. In alot of circumstances, im the exact same. Ive said it before, and I will say it again, "it aint that ya did it, its how ya did it that matters". With an Alberta mega tag like an antelope though, I beleive I would prefer to play the numbers game. Now wether that requires me to glass from the truck, or to burn boot rubber, thats dictated by area and can be quickly and easily tailored to.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 AM

I used to live in Manyberries while doing wildlife research. I've never seen more or bigger turbo goats than I have South on Manyberries. There is gas at Stevens Hardware in a small hamlet/ghost town called Orion about 15 km NW of Manyberries. Take yor tent or RV and stay out there. Most hunters set up a shanty town right beside the Southern Ranchman's in Manyberries. Since there are no trees in that country, I once saw a guy skin a pronhgorn on a road sign! Walk the valleys in the Sage Creek Grazing reserve or Lost Creek. Permission never seems to be a problem. Also, you can try thr Q (Kusler) Ranch in the Extreme SE. This is a very dry place with little vegitation and for some reason the pronghorn like it.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Gone Hunting

"In the end after a few days we killed 2 bucks that were right at book. Just shy and killed the 2 best bucks we saw. I agree it ain't as much fun driving around but it is sucessfull that is for sure. "

For some guys shooting a big one is more important that having fun. So they use the method they feel is "successful" in that aspect. I like to shoot big trophies as well but I like to enjoy the hunt and in the later years that has meant hiking on the prairie and/or sitting in a blind at a water hole.

I may get drawn for giraffes this year.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 PM

I agree with you Duffy. For my stage of life it is all about putting high trophy quality on the wall for now. When I am old and slowing down and have the kids to hunt with it will be a different story. We all go through stages of our hunting life and right now I am all about TROPHY STAGE!!!!