Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-09-2020, 10:31 PM

Default Group partner cow moose

So this year I 999 my bull moose to build up a little priority for a certain wmu ... and we go to do the wife’s draws and she wants to pull her cow moose and we were gonna be putting me under her for a group partner , but it won’t let me . It says it’s because I put in for bull moose under my name . This is the first time we’ve ever really tried a group draw . It’s 100% that’s she would draw this tag this year I don’t see why I can’t go under her . I’m not trying to cheat the system or anything . I guess albertarelm is saying that I’m trying to put in twice .
Old 06-09-2020, 10:37 PM
Banned

You can’t put in for a bull and a cow moose
1 or the other
Old 06-10-2020, 06:50 AM

But you are trying to cheat the system.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:59 AM

If you're trying to be a partner on her tag you do that after she's drawn. The way you are doing it is trying to apply and get drawn with her, which you can't do if you put in for antlered as well.
Old 06-10-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
If you're trying to be a partner on her tag you do that after she's drawn. The way you are doing it is trying to apply and get drawn with her, which you can't do if you put in for antlered as well.
This!

If you won the group draw, you would each get a moose tag. If she applied as an individual, she would get her draw, then you could partner with her - meaning that you would have a tag for that same moose she drew - and you would need to be in direct (non-electronic) communication with each other while hunting under the authority of that tag.

Also, in a group draw, the draw dispensation is based on the group member with the lowest priority - for instance, if she was a P6 and you are a P1 and the zone requires at least a P3, neither of you would get drawn.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
Exactly! Before they changed the system to prevent people from applying for more draws than you are allowed, some people applied for more tags than they were allowed, and then both of their draws were deleted, and no priority was awarded. I know one person that was swearing and cursing at the system over this, when the truth is, it was entirely his fault, for not reading the draw booklet.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkslayer132 View Post
No I’m not trying to cheat the system . I know that you can’t put in for cow and bull at the same time , you can only put in for one moose ... to be honest I don’t know why I thought that I can partner up with the wife after 999 my bull moose , draw fever I guess lol. It doesn’t really matter to me we will go out and I can watch her shoot a cow with me right beside her ... basically the same as if I was partnered with her I just figured that she might need some backup being her first big game animal . I am an ethical hunter probly more than most in this forum . Just had a brain lapse on the partner moose tag .
Old 06-10-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRangebugler View Post
No I’m not trying to cheat the system . I know that you can’t put in for cow and bull at the same time , you can only put in for one moose ... to be honest I don’t know why I thought that I can partner up with the wife after 999 my bull moose , draw fever I guess lol. It doesn’t really matter to me we will go out and I can watch her shoot a cow with me right beside her ... basically the same as if I was partnered with her I just figured that she might need some backup being her first big game animal . I am an ethical hunter probly more than most in this forum . Just had a brain lapse on the partner moose tag .
If she draws the tag, you can get a partner license, and back her up. There is no partner tag, so you don't have to draw a tag to partner with someone. It is a partner license, that is partnered with a tag after the tag is drawn. The system is easier to understand when you use the correct terminology.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If she draws the tag, you can get a partner license, and back her up. There is no partner tag, so you don't have to draw a tag to partner with someone. It is a partner license, that is partnered with a tag after the tag is drawn. The system is easier to understand when you use the correct terminology.
I see . So a partner licence is different than a group licence... is that correct elk hunter ? Sorry I’m a little confused on the terminology I guess . I’m usually on the up and up on rules and regs but this partner/group got me messed up . Another dumb question is how do I get a partner tag after she is drawn .
Old 06-10-2020, 09:44 AM

Partners licence is 100% different then a group application. If she draws the tag anyone can buy a partner licence for her tag. Has no correspondence to the draws done in June. Once she has purchased her licence you will be able to go onto your alberta relm and purchase a partner licence and you will be required to enter her licence number ect. Very easy process you will find once you are able to go about acquiring licence. If you have issues can also go to a retailer and have them deal with it as well.

You can priority only your Bull, she draws her cow and then you pick up a partner tag on her cow and you are set.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
I see . So a partner licence is different than a group licence... is that correct elk hunter ? Sorry I’m a little confused on the terminology I guess . I’m usually on the up and up on rules and regs but this partner/group got me messed up . Another dumb question is how do I get a partner tag after she is drawn .
There is no group license, it is a group application, if drawn , every member of the group gets their own license/tag. There is no partner tag, there is a partner license that allows the partner to help the tag holder, to fill that tag. There are no cow tags or bull tags either, but that is another matter.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Old 06-10-2020, 10:07 AM

Ok thanks guys that clears it up for me . Appreciate it . I don’t know why I had that all screwed up in my head .
Old 06-10-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You don't get a partner tag.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:29 AM

Yep I understand . Licence .