Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-13-2024, 08:16 AM

Default Shopping for stepsons first deer/moose gun

I know what id buy for me . But hes smaller than the average 17 year old at 5 ft 6inches and 105 lbs soaking wet. The xbox has lost interest and he is asking to big game hunt now in addition to already being a ruffed grouse slayer lol. (My 270win i have is in the safe in original box oiled and grease and for collection not using lol. Xbolt carbon fibre fluted)

I have a line in two rifles for a great price In a compact model one, in a 7mm-08, and one in a 270win.

Ive killed alot of animals with my 270s but never owned a 7mm08 longer than a month. I know both with harvest moose with proper shot placement/distance/bullet construction.

He has, for fun. The kid can shoot. And shoot well. And wants a rifle that ince hes 18 he can take over and when he eventually moves out after he has his own PAL , he can take with him if that makes sense

Which of the two is going to be better suited for his situation of his size and be a the better choice of cartridge ?
Old 05-13-2024, 08:47 AM

I grew up kind of interested in the guns I was reading about .The Second Freedom war or Boer war depending on which side you were on. Lots of white hunter books,trappers, Indian wars and early ranching ,guiding ,market hunter books,war books,etc. The guns they used is what I found interesting and cool. So that's what I enjoyed hunting with. To this day I just have no interest or would not want to carry around or hunt with some new rifle, cartridge combo example 7mm 08. But a pre 64 model 70 in 270 with period correct scope would be kind of cool.
When I was a little kid I used to borrow my dead grandfather's 30/30. Its a cool gun because it was his and that gun actually has a long exciting history that few would believe but that's a long story.
I value this gun more than any other.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:50 AM

Whichever gun fits him better. Ballistically so close it’s not worth thinking about. Ammo availability is *probably* a little better for the 270, recoil is *probably* a little lighter for the 7-08. Just make sure the optics and mounts are solid.

Side note - this is a good place to consider a chassis stock with adjustable dimensions. I went from a skinny 140 5’8, to 6’ and 210 in a couple years of eating mostly wild game. He probably wont stay little.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:17 AM

I guess what I was trying to say in my first post is this.
The right gun is one that he is interested into and thinks is cool. One that he sees beauty in. Whatever floats his boat.
A lot of people think they need a space gun so they will have an edge in hunting.
I think there are guys with flintlocks that can outshoot a lot of hunters under field conditions.
Gun and caliber doesn't really mean that much. Its the heart, determination and passion that counts.
Make it fun!
Old 05-14-2024, 09:44 PM

There are a couple of nice Rem700's in 30-06 in the buy/sell. Versatile choice and he has a good action to build a custom off of he decides to try something different. Also easy to sell if you or him decide you want something different.

If you're after something with less recoil, I'd go 6.5 CM. There's nothing spectacular about the cartridge but the ammo selection is better than just about everything else.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-14-2024, 09:52 PM

Default less recoil

Do you handload? Speer has reduced loads in their manual.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
I guess what I was trying to say in my first post is this.
The right gun is one that he is interested into and thinks is cool. One that he sees beauty in. Whatever floats his boat.
A lot of people think they need a space gun so they will have an edge in hunting.
I think there are guys with flintlocks that can outshoot a lot of hunters under field conditions.
Gun and caliber doesn't really mean that much. Its the heart, determination and passion that counts.
Make it fun!
Good advice, the one he will covet the most is one that he has chosen. Let him pick the gun and the caliber himself. Those guns are the most valued only surpassed by a hand me down rifle from someone special to you.
Old 05-15-2024, 08:36 AM

With his size, I would be looking at one of the 6.5s or a smaller cased 7mm. The 6.5x55, 6.5CM, or 7mm-08, would all be great choices. If he decides to go with a larger cartridge later on, he will still be able to use it for deer or smaller game, and if he really likes it, he can use it as his go to rifle for the rest of his life. One friend started with a 6.5x55, and it has been his only big game rifle, taking deer and moose without issue.
Old 05-15-2024, 12:51 PM

I've known some small statured people who've handled some fairly large calibers without issue, and some large statured people who have been overly recoil sensitive. Why don't you just let him try a few and see what works for him? Keep in mind it isn't just about the caliber, the design and weight of the rifle have a lot to do with it. I'm sure there are more than a few people on here who would be happy to let him take a few shots with different rifles/calibers and see what works.
Old 05-15-2024, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
No but by fall of 2025 ill have all my reloading stuff and a couple courses done
Old 05-15-2024, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
No but by fall of 2025 ill have all my reloading stuff and a couple courses done
I've got a brand new copy of the latest Speer manual up in the buy and sell...just sayin'...lol
Old 05-15-2024, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
There are a couple of nice Rem700's in 30-06 in the buy/sell. Versatile choice and he has a good action to build a custom off of he decides to try something different. Also easy to sell if you or him decide you want something different.
To me there's no rifle more versatile than a 30-06. Anything from 55 gr to 220 gr bullet, will take down anything in N. America. Ammo is readily available anywhere in the world.
Old 05-17-2024, 06:52 PM

The savage accustock allows length of pull an comb changes. Might be good for a growing person. Savage 110 in 7 08. With camo stock. Bushnell elite 4500 4x 16 scope. Dang now I want one. Maybe a 308 though.and a wood stock.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:58 PM

Oddly enough
... we found... a mint low round Weatherby Sub-MOA blued model with B&C stock that fits him strangely well. In .270 win to boot.
Old 05-17-2024, 07:58 PM

Default 30-06 reduced load

https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...6-springfield/
Old 05-17-2024, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Perfect he will be a happy hunter, the 270 will handle any big game that he can hunt around this part of the country as long as he does his job when pulling the trigger

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Oddly enough
... we found... a mint low round Weatherby Sub-MOA blued model with B&C stock that fits him strangely well. In .270 win to boot.
Exciting he's interested in the hunt, potential life-long memories to be made. Fine job on the gun shopping, this might be the start of a long time one gun man or a fun buy/sell hobby. Either way, well done!!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-17-2024, 08:26 PM

I bought my son a 7mm 08 in Kimber Montana. He shot a couple deer with it but he didn't care for it, so I got him a .308 win in a Kimber Mountain Ascent.
Old 05-24-2024, 11:25 PM

Just buy something that will last and get a break on it if your concerned he wont be able to shoot it well. 300wm any prc, 6.8 western, 7rm, all have large variation to what they can shoot and all are easy with a break.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I bought my son a 7mm 08 in Kimber Montana. He shot a couple deer with it but he didn't care for it, so I got him a .308 win in a Kimber Mountain Ascent.
Are you looking to adopt? I'm 68 y/o. I don't have any college loans, and I'm pretty handy around the house.