Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2015, 10:44 PM

Default Israel

Has anyone been?. We are looking to do a big trip in 2016 and Israel is definitely on my top 5 places to go list. I'm not into the religious aspect of it, but the cultural and historical aspects are extremely appealing to me. It's also the safest and most technilogically advanced country in the Middle East aswell as one of the top countries in the world for these traits. The old city in Jerusalem looks beautiful and Tel Aviv sounds like its quite the city. The coast line and country side also look like amazing places to spend time at. Any tips? Places to go?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:53 PM

Been there over 20 years ago but my friends just came back in June. 2 things: it is expensive there! And get a good private tour guide, it's worth the money and time!
Otherwise, just walk around old town- history is everywhere!
Old 01-12-2015, 01:08 PM

We're planning on going on a Middle East trip - Egypt, Jordan and Israel - in May ! 4 months to wait and we're on the way.

Always wanted to go, for various reasons, but ever thought we would, 'cause we couldn't afford to, but this one is a gift!

My parents have been, and said it was amazing - culturally, historically and spiritually.

My oldest son went to Egypt and Jordan for 2 months. Egypt was a 'just because he wanted to' experience, and Jordan was for an archaeological dig for his undergrad degree - all in all it was an incredible experience.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Banned

i was offered a trip at a deeply discounted rate to go see one of our suppliers in Israel. i didn't end up doing it because some family stuff came up but i think it would have been really cool to go.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:22 PM

When I read the title i thought: IBTL
Glad to see it's a non-confrontation thread on Israel lol
Guided tour for sure. I know dozens of people who have been there. Guided is the way to go. I'm hopeful to go one day too
Old 01-12-2015, 01:54 PM

I visited Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Dead Sea and Haifa two years ago. It was a great trip. You find the weirdest things in the most unlikely places (at the gas station stop on the way to Jerusalem was the largest armour museum I had ever seen). Food was great. People were friendly. Lots of great tourist sights. Prices were OK.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 PM

I'd love to make the trip myself. I'd start in Jerusalem, and work my way north all the way around the Turquoise Coast of Turkey and into the Greek Archipelago. The history of the region is unmatched except for maybe Southern China and the Fertile Crescent would be something else, the birthplace of agriculture and all.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro