Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2024, 07:31 AM

Default New Trucks & Extended Warranty

Good morning,
I have been in the market for a new truck as its time to replace my 2011 Chev.
Firstly, wow have the prices ever gone up since the last time a bought a new truck. And I get that.
Secondly, what are some your real world experiences with:

1. Extended warranties
2. Detail packages and warranty
3. Glass and tire packages
4. Life time oil changes
5. etc. etc.

I always looked after any service work, oil changes, glass repairs, as I did not mind the work. But, as we all are, I'm getting a little older and not as motivated.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences on these additional dealer packages.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2024, 07:49 AM

They are all crap. At any age...
Old 05-22-2024, 07:52 AM

They are all designed to make the manufacturers/dealers money, so the consumer pays more. I never buy them , and I am so far ahead, that even if I buy a total lemon, it won't eat up all of my savings.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:33 AM

I told the sales guy to just click no to all and save us a bunch of time. He stated that I should at least get the extended warranty. I asked him why he didn't mention how much we needed the extended warranty during the test drive/viewing and it wasn't mentioned again.

My experience has been to spend the extra money on added maintenance. Oil change intervals are ridiculously long and quality synthetic oil and filters pay for themselves over time.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:38 AM

I purchased a new 2019-F150 in June 2020.
I also bought bumper to bumper warranty until 200,000K
It was the best thing I could have done

We now have 170,000 but not without issues

at 1800K's- 5 drive train issues, [ rear axles, drive shafts, U-Joints ect ]
they would not take it back other issues

2 Cam Phaser replacements
heat seat replacements x2
Passenger door sensor handle replacement X2
New transmission at 145,000,
Battery went at 38 months
Oil gasket leak of some kind
Probably missed something

It seems that this F150 has never gone in for just and oil change!!!

You can always by extended warranty up until the manufacture runs out, but probably a price difference

If you can afford to add extended warranty I would
Old 05-22-2024, 08:47 AM

I opted for extended warranty on my 2020 Chevrolet. Good thing too, I have had warranty work done on electronics that would have cost me more than my warranty. Chef only covers electronics and such to 60k km, after that all on our dime. With the defensive electronics in vehicles now that is why I chose the extended warranty.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
They are all designed to make the manufacturers/dealers money, so the consumer pays more. I never buy them , and I am so far ahead, that even if I buy a total lemon, it won't eat up all of my savings.
^^^^^
This

You can get protective film, scotch guard paint protection, Rust Proof etc for less than half at quality vendors. If you are buying something you think will need extended warranty, might want to rethink you choice.

That said, I bought it for my wife's 2020 Grand Cherokee Summit because of the well known issues with the 5.7 Hemi and the U-connect system. First vehicle I ever di it on. I asked her to buy whatever she liked best, no other considerations of price, reliability, just whatever she liked to drive the most. So, the $2800 I spent for a 115,000 KLM 7 year, Bumper to Bumper, warranty was the added cost to pick that vehicle. So far, radio replaced at 8000 klms, under the regular factory warranty, cost would have been $1,400. No idea whether I will make back the $2,800 or not, but seemed like at least a 50/50 bet. She does still LOVE that vehicle. I did not put extended warranty on the 2021 Ram with the 6.4.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:10 AM

In spite of the problems some posters mention, the manufacturers still make a profit selling extended warranties. That means, that for every lemon that actually saves the owner money, there are many vehicles that cost the manufacturer less than the extended warranty. So over multiple vehicles, the odds say that you will come out ahead by not purchasing the extended warranty.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:54 AM

One tip on extended warranties, I shopped it around and saved $900 off the best price the selling dealer wanted. I ended up buying the extended warranty from a different Chrysler dealer, but I bought OEM MOPAR extended, way too many horror stories about non-manufacturer extended warranties.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:11 AM

Dean, my wifes last Grand Cherokee went over 400 K km. Total repairs were a fan control module and gas gauge about $300-$400. Good vehicle do not need warranty.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronji View Post
Firstly, wow have the prices ever gone up since the last time a bought a new truck. And I get that.
I don't. I'd sure love to know how a single cab, XL (the lowest trim) 2024 F150 is worth $64,499.00.

In 1990 that truck was $11,900.00. The Bank of Canada's inflation calculator indicates it would be the equivalent of $24,846.37 today. But nope, try tripling that.

In response to your question, I typically say no to everything. If you want the box liner, new tires, rims, etc. typically cheaper to get it done 3rd party.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:33 AM

As Dean2 mentioned, shop around with other dealerships. When I bought my last new truck, the local dealer was asking $6500 for the extended warranty but 70 kms away, another dealership wanted $1800.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:20 AM

I've had the extended warranty on my last three trucks and honestly glad I did. one thing; don't buy it right when you are getting your truck but wait till your bumper to bumper has almost expired.
don't get the 3m or protection packages; they charge way too much and they usually don't do a great job plus you would be paying that off the entire time you're paying for your truck which includes interest. you're better off to take that money and go to an independent place and get it done.

Last edited by nd4spd; 05-23-2024 at 11:22 AM. Reason: adding informaiton
Old 05-23-2024, 11:33 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Dean, my wifes last Grand Cherokee went over 400 K km. Total repairs were a fan control module and gas gauge about $300-$400. Good vehicle do not need warranty.

You got lucky!
Most of us the luck runs out and yup big bill to repair etc.
We now are driving computers with sensors etc so when they poop the bed it costs big time.
Shop around as with everything and don’t fall for the salesman bs etc
Your wallet your rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-23-2024, 11:41 AM

Another thing about 3M, tint and similar packages... Have a friend who had s detailing business few years back, was also doing tint, 3M, rust proofing and such... He was sub'd by dealerships to do all that for their vehicles. He was charging them less than his trusty price for to the volume of business they were giving him, and dealerships were charging the clients more because they can.
So, the same vehicle would've cost less fort the same product/service if the customer declined the package from the dealership and went straight to my buddy (or any other shop) directly...
But if a bit of extra half is too much and you'd rather pay to have everything done in one place - good on you
Old 05-23-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You got lucky!
Most of us the luck runs out and yup big bill to repair etc.
We now are driving computers with sensors etc so when they poop the bed it costs big time.
Shop around as with everything and don’t fall for the salesman bs etc
Your wallet your rules!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if most of us actually come out ahead purchasing extended warranties, how do the companies selling that extended warranty still make a profit? I have never purchased extended warranty, and either I sold a vehicle that was a lemon before the base warranty expired, or I spent far less on repairs than the extended warranty would have cost me. And if I made it past the extended warranty term, until a problem surfaced, it would have been useless anyways.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:07 PM

Exclamation My $0.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
But if a bit of extra half is too much and you'd rather pay to have everything done in one place - good on you
It is my opinion that buying these add-ons from the dealer appeals to 2 types of people.
1. Those whose time is worth more than the dealer's upcharge; they are happy to pay for the convenience. It's a win-win for them.

2. People who don't know any better, they just want the cost consolidated into their monthly payment. These are the same people who fall for the "So what type of monthly payment works for you?", rather than looking at the actual vehicle cost.

There are way more people in category 2.

FTR- I declined the extended warranty on the last new vehicle I purchased. None of them (salesman, sales manager, finance manager) could understand why, even after I told them the vehicle was being modified beyond any manufacturer's warranty within a month. They were either genuinely confused, or consummate actors.
FWIW I don't think any of them were capable of acting their parts for that long.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2024, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
They are all crap. At any age...
My sentiments exactly...I love how manufacturers spew out advertising like "Built Ford Tough" and "We are Professional Grade" then immediately start pushing extended warranty...what a joke.
Old 05-23-2024, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I don't. I'd sure love to know how a single cab, XL (the lowest trim) 2024 F150 is worth $64,499.00.

In 1990 that truck was $11,900.00. The Bank of Canada's inflation calculator indicates it would be the equivalent of $24,846.37 today. But nope, try tripling that.
Pretty bizarre comparison. 34 years apart? Things have changed a great deal...not saying for the better necessarily in all cases, but really, these are two totally different vehicles.....park them beside each other and see.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:39 PM

Exclamation I have a theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Pretty bizarre comparison. 34 years apart? Things have changed a great deal...not saying for the better necessarily in all cases, but really, these are two totally different vehicles.....park them beside each other and see.
You're right! They are totally different vehicles. Let's look at the two images below and see if we can find a correlation.

FTR- I first noticed it when I couldn't comfortably reach the door rests in a fully loaded 2012 Ford Explorer. Felt like it was designed for a 300+ lb. person. Wife said the passenger side was the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck evolution.jpg (26.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 28 years of cultivating mass.jpg (32.4 KB, 33 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2024, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Ya the 34 year old model is tougher in every way. And the comparison is fair. You’re paying extra for creature comforts for the most part. That’s about it. And on top of that, the new truck is made like a pop can. I’m amazed people are crazy enough to pay these prices for these pieces of crap
Old 05-23-2024, 11:38 PM

The dealer is reselling all of those packages with a handsome markup. Extended warranties are good, at the right price, and that’s a comfort level thing. Watch carefully though the changing market. The big 3 have caught up with inventory and need to retreat on the massive price increase over previous years. Along with dealer volume incentives, we should see hard nose negotiating bear fruit, and some discount sales in the days ahead
Old 05-24-2024, 12:05 AM

I have to say I agree with Elk. I have owned somewhere btwen 2 and 300 vehicles over the years, only 4 of which were bought brand new. Quite a few of the used ones however were new enough to still have factory warranty on them. Many vehicles I owned for a relatively short period of time because I bought them right and could make good bucks reselling them, but quite a few others that I really enjoyed driving, I put 2 to 400, 000 klms on. Not a single vehicle did I ever have a major repair on. No transmissions, engines or anything else much more than regular maintenance items and replacement approriate to the mileage. I always did a good job of maintenance on all the vehicles. There were a few I sold quite quickly because they were showing lemon tendancies. One I particularly remember was a REALLY pretty Ford 150 that I bought with 10,000 klms and planned to keep longterm but sold it somewhere around 20000 because it became clear it just wasn't going to be longterm reliable.

In all cases, paying for extended warranty would have never been a paying proposition. At this stage I am so far ahead of the game I could completely blow up 5 of them and still be ahead of the game. Same reason I have never carried collision insurance on any of my vehicles. Only time it pays is if the accident is my fault, and I have never had an accident that was my fault so 50 years of collision insurance would be money peed down the drain. Canadians are the single most over insured people on the planet. Being that risk adverse costs an awful lot of money that you never get back.
Old 05-24-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Ya the 34 year old model is tougher in every way. And the comparison is fair. You’re paying extra for creature comforts for the most part. That’s about it. And on top of that, the new truck is made like a pop can. I’m amazed people are crazy enough to pay these prices for these pieces of crap
The new model will have more power, and get better fuel economy, and typically will handle and stop better as well. The lighter weight, and more advanced technology improve all of those things. And the aluminum bodies will typically not rust as quickly either. But in return, all of the electronics do result in more things to go wrong, and replacement can be very expensive.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:52 AM

i used to be a shop foreman at a chrysler dealer , dealt with every warranty available , if its not the oem extended warranty its garbage . companies like first canadian are the ones they push in the finance box because they make more money on it , but it is always a fight to get things covered and they refuse to pay the tech properly , which can result in rip and tear i don't care style repairs . as for the other stuff , dealers charge 3 to 4 times more than a small detail shop and hardly give you what you as for . like the rust proofing in the doors wont be sprayed , or not enough , undercoating is half assed etc .
for anyone that has a first canadian or similar warranty , if you haven't used it yet they will refund it fully if you ask , then buy an oem plan from the service advisor for less money , you can do that up until the basic warranty is finished.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:17 AM
AO Sponsor

I have never been one for extended warranties and think much along the lines of Elk and Dean. The companies sell them because it is a profitable venture for them, plain and simple.

That said I did for the first time ever opt for the extended warranty on my 2022 Silverado, but that was an exception. There are some specific situations where it might be a consideration. As Dean pointed out if you know a vehicle has a known issue that regularly crops up outside of warranty and is a costly fix, and is a vehicle you fully intended on driving far past that time frame, but otherwise a sound unit, then if the savings of the repair versus the cost of warranty makes sense then sure.

In my decision to get the extended warranty on this occasion I considered how many KM's I was driving and the type of use I would be doing, and even though I normally do not get it, I had a personal connection to the dealer principle of the dealership and he gave me the warranty for basically cost along with a ton of other stuff so it was hard to say no to a 6 year/160,000km bumper to bumper for a pittance. If I had to pay the going retail rate though I probably would have opted out as being in the automotive business myself I always have connections for dealing with issues more reasonably costed than the average consumer.

Everyones situations are different and you need to weight the pros and cons based on your own tolerance for risk and finances.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 05-24-2024, 07:57 AM

So much comes into play with regards to extended warranty, shop around, do your research, be firm and negotiate accordingly, meet your needs and not others, like I mentioned its your wallet and no one else's.

My vehicles that I keep last 20 years give or take a few years either way, if I happen to get a vehicle with reoccurring issues fixed under warranty well off it goes once the warranty has expired or close to.

Good luck to the OP!

Old 05-24-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So if most of us actually come out ahead purchasing extended warranties, how do the companies selling that extended warranty still make a profit? I have never purchased extended warranty, and either I sold a vehicle that was a lemon before the base warranty expired, or I spent far less on repairs than the extended warranty would have cost me. And if I made it past the extended warranty term, until a problem surfaced, it would have been useless anyways.
Dealerships make a profit as soon as you sign the purchase agreement, some profits are more than others. That's why YOU do your homework and don't be afraid to tell them to bugger off....amazing how quickly they back track and significantly lower the cost....just went through it....two months to find the right ride and price too that met our needs.

Like I mentioned good luck to the OP on this quest.

Old 05-24-2024, 08:40 AM

For those who've never needed ext warranty you've had some luck. Myself included. For me, I've owned 8 new vehicles. Historically I've always started to squirm, and usually turned them over around 100k. Never any serious issues.
My last vehicle , an 09 3500 Ram diesel is just about to turn over 250k. No end in sight for this vehicle, mostly because I voluntarily refuse to pay the prices for new and what guys want for used.. my fingers are crossed on this vehicle.
Saying that, if I ever have to buy new again, I wouldn't rule out ext warranty. Witnessing a friend's nightmare of him dealing with his Dodge's mental health issues. They can't seem to figure out the radio brain centre.. Freeze up issues. He fought tooth and nail for them to replace it. They replaced it.... and it froze up 20 minutes after he left the dealership. Sucks the fun outta having a new vehicle...especially when you have to drive an hour to the dealership and arrange transportation / pick up..... fun fun fun.
I could only imagine what it COULD cost for these type of problems , and they seem quite common.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
It is my opinion that buying these add-ons from the dealer appeals to 2 types of people.
1. Those whose time is worth more than the dealer's upcharge; they are happy to pay for the convenience. It's a win-win for them.

2. People who don't know any better, they just want the cost consolidated into their monthly payment. These are the same people who fall for the "So what type of monthly payment works for you?", rather than looking at the actual vehicle cost.

There are way more people in category 2.

FTR- I declined the extended warranty on the last new vehicle I purchased. None of them (salesman, sales manager, finance manager) could understand why, even after I told them the vehicle was being modified beyond any manufacturer's warranty within a month. They were either genuinely confused, or consummate actors.
FWIW I don't think any of them were capable of acting their parts for that long.

You forgot #3

Researches vehicle reliability prior to shopping, don’t buy first year of any new vehicle or major engine/drivetrain changes. Does the maintenance themselves.