Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2015, 04:16 PM

Default delete

I need to replace mine. Was going to get a Kenmore but the reviews are not good. What is everyone running and what is your experience please?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:18 PM

I typically install Bradford White. Watch out for any that have a plastic drain valve, that's a level of cheap I won't stoop to having had to replace countless ones that leaked at the casting seam. It used to be that Kenmore's were manufactured by State, I don't know who does these days.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I typically install Bradford White. Watch out for any that have a plastic drain valve, that's a level of cheap I won't stoop to having had to replace countless ones that leaked at the casting seam. It used to be that Kenmore's were manufactured by State, I don't know who does these days.
Bradford White seems to have decent ratings. Not sure where to purchase. I was hoping I could get one with decent insulation. Kenmore ratings say a lot that Sears doesn't stand behind the warranty.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:23 PM

The casting seam leaks in the plastic drain valve? Or the tank itself leaks because of the level of cheap? I have a HWT in the shop that if I leave it pressured from the cold water inlet, it leaks. Just full not under pressure it doesn't leak. I wonder if it's just the valve?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM

X2 on the Bradford white.

Coreya, is it leaking at the drain, near the bottom, or at the T&P valve fairly high up on the side?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:44 PM

Thumbs up

Another vote for Bradford White, and I've also had very good luck with the higher-end General Electric models that have a 12 year warranty.

Whatever you buy, once you've purchased and installed it, take a black magic marker and write the installation date on it. Then every two or three years change the anode rod, to get maximum life out of the tank.

Happy Plumbing,

Mac
Old 03-23-2015, 05:52 PM

Bradford or rheem are the best in the market.
If you get a johnwood you deserve a smack upside the head.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:56 PM

Bradford White are only available @ wholesale plumbing suppliers such as Wolseley, where professionals shop. You don't see professional plumbers getting their water heaters from hardware stores.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:02 PM

I really like my noritz my plumber installed. We can run 3 showers at a time for as long as we want without any issues. Could probably do more but I've only got 3 to test out. Lol.
It's great. Would never go back to a hot water tank ever.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:03 PM

Just for the record, those General Electric water heaters I referred to in post #6, are manufactured for GE by 'Rheem', here in Canada.

Mac
Old 03-23-2015, 06:04 PM

Default I've had good performance

from my last John Wood. Going on 10 years now. But, indeed, the only issue I had was the plastic drain valve - after about 5-6 years, when I opened and drained it, it would not seal back up tight, cracked, and had to be replaced. I still remember the service guys' unusually brilliant stream of expletives as he attempted to remove the seized and broken off half of the thread stem stuck in the tank threads. Anode replaced once after about 6 years, just as a service rec when the furnace guys moved it as part of furnace installation and better locational layout. What do they save by using plastic instead of metal? Or is it just a factor of designed obsolescence?
Not to derail the thread... but IMHO (and I am not only not a plumber, but rather absolutely terrrified of any plumbing) I cannot fathom why I cannot seem to any longer find regular faucet turn handles that do not have plastic inserts. Being fed up with the regular cheap plastic ones and their short durability, I found solid metal ones at "Plumber's Village" about 15-18 years back, and replaced a couple with those (I should have bought a bunch at the time?). But, when I went back there for some more a couple of years back, I was told they were defunct - the manufacturer having been bought out and such terminated by the "big guys" (?). True? A case of the industry not wanting the public to go a very long time without having to replace same? Or was that just retailer BS - where can one get them?
Old 03-23-2015, 06:27 PM

Giant or Bradford white.
The Giants are made in Canada.