Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Default first elk / first bow kill

First Elk, first animal with bow. Dad and both brothers in camp. Bugled him into to within 20 feet. Good thing I got a wisker biscuit this year, shakin so hard I think the arrow would have fallen off my old rest.

Had to hold at full draw forever waiting for him to turn. Staring at me while I was motionless trying to figure out what I was.

It was Aug 25, I was trying not to bugle to much as it was so early. I could hear my Dad's bugle to the north. Then this guy answered, what a low rough sounding bugle. We bugled bakc and forth a few times and he wasn't moving, so down the hill I went. Bugling and moving down the hill as fast as I could. I set up 25 yards from the base of the hill as I guessed him to be 200 yards away. It wasn't long and I xould here him walking towards me. Hte bush was so thick I couldn't see him until he was straight along the hill from me about 75 yards away. I sat quiet as I am always nervous of spooking elk. I cow called many times and all he would do was stop raking the tree and look araound and then go back to raking the tree. Finally with my bow in my left hand and my bugle tucked under my right arm pointing behind me I bugled back. He istantly stopped and started walking down a little draw straight towards me. He came out of the draw and striaght over the edge right on top of me. As soon as I could see antlers I drew, he stopped at 20 feet I waited what seemed like forever, problably 15 secs. He took a half a step and I followed to keep my site on the right spot and he saw this and turned to leave. Finally a decent shot opportunity (still quartering towards) and at that distance no problems. I let fly and he made it about 200 yards.

Last edited by FishHound; 11-07-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:47 PM

Right on Fish,
How long ago ?

TBark
Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 PM

Very Nice!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 PM

Congrats on the elk!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-07-2011, 09:07 PM