Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 PM

Default Root Canel ...............

Got told today after missing the dentist for 4 years that I need a root canel. Anyone have one before ? what to expect and such ???
Old 07-25-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
Got told today after missing the dentist for 4 years that I need a root canel. Anyone have one before ? what to expect and such ???
For me and my father it meant a hospital visit. Doc hit a nerve for both of us, faces puffed up the size of basketballs, and it's lotsa fun to have nausea and vomitting while your gums have stiches in them.

You'll be fine! ....honest....
Old 07-25-2011, 10:17 PM

Default root canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
I have had two, and been very lucky in that neither was worse that having a filling or crown done. The real pain is in the pocket book ........ damn I'm in the wrong line of work !!!!!
Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

Root canals these days are no more traumtic than an average filling..Now there was a time.....don't worry, honestly...
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM

I've had at least 2 done and that was 20 years ago, more or less. No issues, nada, no problems. Suffered with hot and cold liquids for years before that. You won't regret it one bit.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:44 PM

If your not a big fan of dental procedures pay the extra 140$ and get put out.

Wake up when its over a little sore and groggy wondering what just happened.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:44 PM

A BIG bill.

Grizz
Old 07-25-2011, 11:01 PM

I had root canal done 15 years ago ,,nothing worst than a tooth ache a trip to the dentist is a breeze compared to a tooth ache ...
Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun

Just finishing up with one right now and mine was a difficult one due to curved roots. It wasn't that bad at all.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:05 PM

O and the needle is huge , just don't look around the dentists office keep your eyes closed
Old 07-25-2011, 11:17 PM

Get it done in Mexico. You can go for a week and get the work done for the same price as a root and crown job here. Way more fun down there. Last time I had one done here,I told the dentist that every time I felt pain, he would too. He was just a kid but he got the message. I never felt a thing during,and he loaded me up with the right stuff for home as well.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post

Heard storys some people accually felt the pain when put out, ouch!
Old 07-25-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by best guide shawn homeniuk View Post
Heard storys some people accually felt the pain when put out, ouch!
Better than the stories I've heard dentists tell about what happened while there patient was out !
Old 07-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Banned

My last one I tried sedation. Once they actually got me out it was painless. Didnt know anything even happened lol
Old 07-26-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Better than the stories I've heard dentists tell about what happened while there patient was out !
My last dental surgeon was 2 things.........................................

Hot and a girl!!!!!!

Last edited by IR_mike; 07-26-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:49 AM

If I ever had to go for a root canal... I would go for sedation dentistry. I'd imagine you'd have a sore face after
Old 07-26-2011, 08:27 AM

I have had three or four root canals, with no complications at all, but it takes patience to sit in the chair for a few hours at a time to have the work done.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM

I just had one done last week. It took just under 2 hours which I found the hardest thing to deal with. Once it was over and the freezing started to come out it was sore but after a day of so it completely went away. If they don't give you any T3s make sure you have some Advil and remember to take it before the freezing comes out. Other than the sitting and a bit of pain afterwards it was no problem.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Banned

The freezing hasn't wore off yet but the I'm thinking the cost is the worst part
Old 08-04-2011, 12:15 PM

So got the root canel done last night. Not overally bad to tell you the truth. The absoulte worst part is the cleansing agent they use to clean the tooth during the procedure tasted like bleach and they used A LOT of it !!! But got home , freezing wore off and nothing sore or painfull . Popped a couple asprin like advised to , and just keeping them up for now ... but overall nothing terrible
Old 08-04-2011, 12:21 PM

sounds great man, i know i needed two root canels but its too late for that now, i hate dentists and not wanting to go see one, my pain is gone along with a couple teeth, but the rest of my teeth are white like brand new exept the two that rotted out lol
Old 08-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

A few years back, my work would see me in absolute isolation for months at a time, It was really gorgeous and I never experienced cabin fever (I don't think???). However, one year the snow and wind came in full on white out,, too big to leave, too big to work safely, so I hunkered down and waited it out with a severe absessed molar/jaw that got progressively worse as the storm lingered,,, in fact it got so bad that no amount of tylenol, rye and clove oil could deal with the pain and the inflamation, and eating was impossible,, and I couldn't leave and nobody could get to me. So I headed over to the workshop and fashioned a manual hand drill from a self tapping torque screw and some needlenose vise grips,, went to the bathroom sink, tied my elbow to a towel rack and hand drilled my jaw, crunching into the jaw a quarter turn at a time, puss and blood and bone running down my chin into the sink, possibly the best pain I've ever experienced.

When the storm finally passed and it was safe to head into town, I went to emergency to make sure my self-operation was ok. The doctor laughed and said that I did exactly what a dentist would have done and I saved myself a couple hundred bucks and I was good to go. I've never had a problem with that tooth since.

So head to the shed and a do some self-dentistry and spend that money on something nice for yourself.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
A few years back, my work would see me in absolute isolation for months at a time, It was really gorgeous and I never experienced cabin fever (I don't think???). However, one year the snow and wind came in full on white out,, too big to leave, too big to work safely, so I hunkered down and waited it out with a severe absessed molar/jaw that got progressively worse as the storm lingered,,, in fact it got so bad that no amount of tylenol, rye and clove oil could deal with the pain and the inflamation, and eating was impossible,, and I couldn't leave and nobody could get to me. So I headed over to the workshop and fashioned a manual hand drill from a self tapping torque screw and some needlenose vise grips,, went to the bathroom sink, tied my elbow to a towel rack and hand drilled my jaw, crunching into the jaw a quarter turn at a time, puss and blood and bone running down my chin into the sink, possibly the best pain I've ever experienced.

When the storm finally passed and it was safe to head into town, I went to emergency to make sure my self-operation was ok. The doctor laughed and said that I did exactly what a dentist would have done and I saved myself a couple hundred bucks and I was good to go. I've never had a problem with that tooth since.

So head to the shed and a do some self-dentistry and spend that money on something nice for yourself.
OK, I have a strong stomach, but I'm feeling a little faint reading this.
I worked with a guy who tells of how he removed his own tonsils with a straight razor. I believe him!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almer Fudd View Post
OK, I have a strong stomach, but I'm feeling a little faint reading this.
I worked with a guy who tells of how he removed his own tonsils with a straight razor. I believe him!
hrhrhrhrrrrhr,, omg, seriously, that's nerves of steel, I just had grilled ham for supper and it's turning after reading that, holy, oh my god, OH MY GOD,, I suppose if you were suffocating from the tonsils but OH MY GOD that would have taken some psyching up,,, wow, he should get a gold medal or a bar of gold for that feat. I merely drilled a hole 1/4" into my jaw, he put a straight razor into the back of his mouth and guessed,, that's even more intense than the guy stuck between the rock and the hard place or the guy stuck under his furnace. wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post

I had to have 4 teeth pulled, so that's what I did. Never regretted it.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post

WOW
your nuts must be some steel man !!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:53 PM

Wait until you can't be frozen any longer using conventional methods.... I never use to be afraid of the dentist.

Just make sure you get the crown done within a couple of years. After the root canal the tooth will become brittle (or can discolor) and can crack. If it cracks you are SOL and then have to get a bridge done... which are twice as bad.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Banned

Root canals can be a big hassle. Its meant to save the tooth but it kills it. My tooth broke twice after my root canal.now I only have a quarter of my tooth left. Its better to get it pulled and replaced by a bridge. At least you don't have to worry about it 10 years down the road.
I also felt pain even with freezing. they said that they didn't apply the freezing deep enough.

Last edited by Killerb; 08-05-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:33 AM

If you would of had a crown put on the tooth it would of been fine........

I would rather have one crown than a bridge anyday... who wants to shave down and cap two perfectly good teeth when you could just fix the one causing the issue?
Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 PM

Default here are the pro's for my dental work

see how long you would last with this guy working on you.....lmao
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/b53...arolburnettfan

carol burnett show was a classic....