Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-23-2020, 10:12 AM

Default Polishing resource?

I’m looking for a good resource on hand polishing a rifle instruction. Midway USA has a brief video on it, but I’m looking for some more detail. If anyone has a suggestion I’d appreciate it.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-23-2020, 02:18 PM

A 3M Trizact disk in 5000 grit works great for a high luster finish. Commonly used to finish high quality automotive paint jobs . On an oil finish on a gunstock, let the finish cure for a week or so before using.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’m looking for a good resource on hand polishing a rifle instruction. Midway USA has a brief video on it, but I’m looking for some more detail. If anyone has a suggestion I’d appreciate it.

A 3M Trizact disk in 5000 grit works great for a high luster finish. Commonly used to finish high quality automotive paint jobs . With an oil finish on a gunstock, let the finish cure for a week or so before using.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:44 PM

Wood or metal ?
Old 07-23-2020, 05:46 PM

Metal

-Billy Molls
Old 07-23-2020, 08:21 PM

It’s not a difficult process just take patients and sweat . If the are pits one can draw file them out with a smooth bastard file. One can use wet and dry paper or al oxide , crocus cloth ,emery cloth. I like the 1 in rolls . Depends how good or poor what you are starting with will determine the grit to start with .

How much shine do you want you blueing to have ? If just wanting a nice blue finishing with 320 grit is plenty fine . If just removing old blueing starting with 120 is plenty course and work up. For a deeper lustre finishing with 600 is great one can go finer . Let the grit do the work and remove all the previous scratches with the next finer grit before moving on . I like to use cutting oil on the sanding paper , wd 40 will work. On the last polish use no oil on the sanding paper.