Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 AM

Default diesel

Have a f350 2008 diesel.Is there an additive for these engines for this cold weather?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:29 AM

Have Cummins diesel in my Ram. In my opinion, off-the-shelf, additives are unnecesssary. Additives are already in the diesel you buy at the pumps (no. 1 grade diesel in winter and no. 2 grade for summer). Had the truck plugged in outside last night and it started no problem this morn....
Old 01-28-2008, 08:33 AM

There is an additive.....called AntiGel....I think.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:07 AM

I think if you can safetly say your using diesel from a trusted source....ie. a well know gas station who's diesel pump is often being used.....plugging your truck in is enough....

BUT, if you are getting fuel from sources were fuel quality is questionable.....in this weather I would run an anti-gel/diesel conditioner...just to play it safe.....

Don't forget to change your fuel filter regularly if questionable quality fuel is part of your life......it is cheap insurance....
Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM

Default diesel additives

slingshot, with the ULSD fuel we are getting at the pump you would be wise to at least use some sort of additive, the ULSD fuel has much less lubricity. the ultra low sulfur diesel does have a higher cloud point so fuel gelling should not be a problem. but as ABwhitetail said, you get any water in your tank from the pumps an antigel and lubricity additive will not hurt. i know i dont want the cost of replacing injectors and fuel pumps. take care boys, rob
Old 01-28-2008, 09:58 AM

Not really needed - any diesel fuel you buy this time of year already has been refined to have a lower gel point than any temp we'll see, and it's still -39 as I write this With the '08 Power Stroke, you should be adding the Motorcraft cetane booster every time though. The small increase in mileage alone will pay for itself 3 or 4 times over, and the regen cycles will be fewer and of less time duration - if your '08 likes fuel like mine, everything helps...
Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 AM

I am a firm believer in Howes Diesel Treat. It can be picked up at any truck stop or truck place.
www.howeslube.com
I started using it when Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) started being used last year. It is a sulfur additive and anti-gel. I think a 2 liter bottle runs about $15.00

Going from burning 500PPM sulfur to 15PPM was a big change for diesel engines. Sulfur provides the lubrication your engine needs. With the lower sulfur content your seals will dry out and have a much lower life span. People will go through pumps more than they did before.
The new ULSD also has less BTUs than the old diesel. You probably noticed that your fuel economy has also decreased by using ULSD. Using Howes or any other additive will more than likely improve your fuel mileage 2-3 MPG.

If you want get the same engine life and fuel mileage as before, you have to spend the 30 cents on an additive each tank.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-28-2008, 10:56 AM

About this anti gelling stuff... I bought a deal of it at NAPA a while back to put in my welder during the first cold part of the yr cause it still had summer fuel in it. Anyways put it in then just set the remaining part of it in the box of my truck, 2 days later this bottle of Red-Line anti gel stuff was stiffer then molassis (sp) Honestly it would not pour. The welder never had a prob, but I was a little surprised that it would stiffen up so much... O'well won't use that stuff again.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

You guys are rite that our diesel is already treated for winter but !! the amount of anti gels in it depends on where in the province you are.. The fuel companies have different codes according to latitude. Now don't ask me where they start and stop I just know they do.. Fort Mac has different fuel than Med Hat so depending on where you are when it gets this cold you may have to add some more anti gel..
Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 PM

use Howes its the best
Old 01-28-2008, 03:04 PM

slingshot if your running an 08 ford diesel with a 6.4L it is designed to run on ULSD if you add sulfur you can pooch your engine & it won't be covered under warranty if they find out you added it.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxiALe View Post
use Howes its the best
There is a reason why its sold in almost every truck stop and Co-op in North America.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Standoff....it Comes With Water Blocker!!!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:56 PM

Default diesel

Someone mentioned the fuel filter, that's important. Parrafin in the diesel will clog the filter and restrict a good flow to the engine. If you are hearing engine "knock", a cylinder may be straving a bit for fuel. Another thing that makes diesel start easier, especially my F350 7.3L, is the use of a full synthetic oil. I was amazed at the difference that made for ease of starting on mine when I could not plug the oil heater in.