Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-26-2012, 03:08 PM

Default Drayton Valley Local

I was wondering if the DV local is active. If so, what sorts of activities do the locals do? Is it worth joining a local if you are already a member of the ATA?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM

Default DV Local

sent PM
Old 02-26-2012, 08:47 PM

Can't speak to Drayton local but attending your local meetings should be fun and educational. Our Grande Prairie local is meeting this Tuesday and we're doing a wolf skinning clinic and showing wolverine film footage. throw in a silent auction, doughnuts, and some good BS sessions, what more could a trapper ask?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Default Drayton Valley Local... a biased reply

The Drayton Valley ATA local formed up just over 3 years ago. Our membership continues to grow and we have many members and visitors from the Edmonton area, and even east of Highway 2. For anyone to travel 1 to 2 hours (one way) to attend an evening meeting or even, it tells me we are doing something right!

Remington, we are heavy into trapping techniques, methods and demos. For instance we just had a presentation on How to grade fur with an emphasis on Coyote Pelts (Brian Finlayson)

A major event every year is the Trappers BBQ and Trapping Methods event on August 25th. Last year we had 6 trappers presenting demo's on Mink, Marten, Rats, Wolf, Coyote/Fox, Free standing snares,floating Beaver set. etc. We fed everyone that attended steak and gave away $500 in trapping supply draws.

See the post on the April 14th Potluck and Event on April 14th. It would be a great starter for anyone checking out what we are about.

We would be glad to welcome another member. We are light on politics and heavy on education / trapping skills

Gary
Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM

I will be there. Are you having any meetings before then?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:38 PM

"We are light on politics and heavy on education / trapping skills"

Hallaleuh Brother Gary, I like what you're preaching. And if your skills at organizing the Ultimate Trapper contest are any indication I bet your local is a lot of fun and well run.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:24 PM

Default Drayton Valley Trappers

Thanks for the kind words Brian! We will be trying hard to have an even better Ultimate Trappers event in Stettler. This year I am taking single entries or full event entries. Want a real good show in the Speed Skinning.. think I have Jackie and possible Dennis squaring off for the $300 first prize!

Remington: There is no meetings between now and Potluck, but here is our general year ahead schedule:

April 14th Potluck Dinner and event. Speaker Gordy Klassen, Trappers Buy and Sell, Presentation, Silent/Raffle auctions, 100+ people

August 25th - BBQ and Trapper Demo day. Pihtokwe campsite just north of D Valley. All trappers welcome. Free steak., prizes and MANY good trappers demos from members

Fall Meeting - Generally in first half of October TBA

Winter Meeting - End of January TBA

Meetings always have a key demo or presentation.

We are always happy to gain another member for the ATA local. Promise is no boring events or meetings!

Gary
Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 PM

Gary

Great job on the local events hope to get ours there someday. I'll see if I can make it down in August.

Jason
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 AM

Default Snowshoe Jason

If this is the Jason I think it is... hope to have you enter the UTC in Stettler this summer!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM

We'll see.... What type of events are you planning this year?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 PM

Default Utc

Jason:

There is a description of the Ultimate Trappers event on the ATA website and it has been forwarded via general ATA email. In any case, there will be over $3000 available in cash prizes again in these events"

Cat Zone - Lynx/Bobcat sets
Muskrat Central - Skin and board 3 rats
Canine Set
Dryland Snowshoe Race
Speed Skinning
Fire Starting

Hope you can make it.

Gary