Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-30-2009, 10:05 AM

Default ammo in the states

as a canadian am i allowed to purchase ammo in the states? am i allowed to bring it back into canada?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 AM

I am a Canadian citizen going to the United States and would like to bring ammunition back with me. Can I do this? How much can I bring?
Canadian citizens must obey U.S. federal and state laws for purchasing ammunition in the United States. For more information, refer to the ATF Brochure on Non-Immigrant Aliens Purchasing Firearms and Ammunition in the United States (PDF, 75 kb).

For personal use, Canadian residents can import 5000 rounds of which 200 rounds are duty-free. An Explosives Import Permit must be obtained to import larger quantities.

To obtain an import permit to Canada from the Explosives Regulatory Division (ERD), contact:

Explosives Regulatory Division
1431 Merivale Road
Ottawa, ON K1A 0G1
Telephone: 613-948-5200
Fax: 613-948-5195

Other Imports

Empty primed cartridge cases 5000
Gunpowder (black powder) in canisters of 500 g or less and smokeless powder in canisters of 4000 g or less 8 kg

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-30-2009, 11:10 AM

Better check with the US Dept. of Commerce about export provisions from the US.

I'm pretty sure at this point you can't legally export ammo, and components along with a host of other firearms parts, and accessories(optics) without first having a export licence from the US, and a accompaning import permit from Canada.

At least that's how I understood it last month.
I'd wager that has changed since then.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Better check with the US Dept. of Commerce about export provisions from the US.

I'm pretty sure at this point you can't legally export ammo, and components along with a host of other firearms parts, and accessories(optics) without first having a export licence from the US, and a accompaning import permit from Canada.

At least that's how I understood it last month.
I'd wager that has changed since then.
Dick You are close.
It is actually the State Dept that 1 must contact for ammo and rifle/handgun parts. Commerce for shotgun and optics.

A Canadian citizen can NOT export ammo or firearms parts, as the export permits must be applied for by a US federally licensed exporter.
For an NON US resident to be in possession of any firearm or ammo without a Form 6 (N1A I think?) is a felony.

Rocky the quote is Canadian border services info which is correct by Canadian law, but holds no weight in the USA.
I see many guys getting the screws put to them because they believe what CBSA tells them, which is only HALF the story.

Exportation of anything firearms related has become FAR more difficult in the last year and looks like it will be getting worse as "Uncle Bam" gets more sway in the US.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 03-30-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
as a canadian am i allowed to purchase ammo in the states? am i allowed to bring it back into canada?
You can if you put it in the old lady's purse
Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solothurn View Post
Dick You are close.
It is actually the State Dept that 1 must contact for ammo and rifle/handgun parts. Commerce for shotgun and optics.

A Canadian citizen can NOT export ammo or firearms parts, as the export permits must be applied for by a US federally licensed exporter.
For an NON US resident to be in possession of any firearm or ammo without a Form 6 (N1A I think?) is a felony.

Rocky the quote is Canadian border services info which is correct by Canadian law, but holds no weight in the USA.
I see many guys getting the screws put to them because they believe what CBSA tells them, which is only HALF the story.

Exportation of anything firearms related has become FAR more difficult in the last year and looks like it will be getting worse as "Uncle Bam" gets more sway in the US.

this is what i had thought as well. that the canadian window is ok with you having ammo...but that if the US side catches you..it is biiiig trouble.....
Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 PM

I am not condoning illegal activity by any means. But, how often would a guy get checked by the U.S. customs guys while coming back to Canada. I do hear that they've been spot checking for stuff like this in the last couple of years, but if the dollar goes back up to par or close, it might be worth checking out.

Does the optics rule apply to used optics as well? I'd like a good spotting scope in the future, and I'm thinking of looking through some pawn shops.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
I am not condoning illegal activity by any means. But, how often would a guy get checked by the U.S. customs guys while coming back to Canada. I do hear that they've been spot checking for stuff like this in the last couple of years, but if the dollar goes back up to par or close, it might be worth checking out.

Does the optics rule apply to used optics as well? I'd like a good spotting scope in the future, and I'm thinking of looking through some pawn shops.
A spotting scope is NOT an issue. A used Nightforce scope IS, regardless of value.
Non military use rifle scopes though still requiring a Commerce Dept export permit will not land in you nearly as much hassle and grief as State Dept controlled items. You DO NOT get on Hilarys bad side!!
Ammo, bullets, powder and gun parts are really not worth the risk.
I watched a fellow loose a fairly new Vette over probably $100.00 worth of ammo and components a year ago. The teeth if caught are enormous as not only do the US seizure laws get enforced, but you end up being charged with felony arms exportation, which is big fines, forfeiture and persona non grata status in the US. Even if you declare all your goods, you stand a good chance of OUR CBSA ratting you out. Coutts is the worst for this, I have experienced this in person. Fortunately everything was on the up and up, just an over zealous CBSA official that wanted to make my life hell for a few hours.
I export from the US weekly, my advice get the paperwork, pay the exporters fees and avoid a new wife named Bubba. It is not that hard to export legally.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 PM

Of the four states I have lived in, none had any requirements for the purchase of ammo (except cash!).
Old 03-30-2009, 11:21 PM

Thanks Solo, I figured there were big penalties if a guy was caught. Not worth it for sure. Just fun to BS about. I would like a nice Swaro spotting scope. I'll have to keep my eyes open when I go across sometime.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrack View Post
Of the four states I have lived in, none had any requirements for the purchase of ammo (except cash!).
Most US retailers are only looking for the cash, unless it is Canadian cash, then some balk. They likely do not know the laws and as they are not exporting the goods, could care less, just another sale.
The point is YOU as a Canadian ARE breaking both countries laws buying ammo in the US and exporting it without proper permits as both countries have signed on to the ITAR agreement.
Just like smuggling drugs, it is only a problem when you get caught, ignorance or not liking the laws are not viable defences.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:23 AM

Part of the original question was "Am I allowed to purchase ammo in the States?" The answer is yes you can, you do not need anything other than cash.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrack View Post
Part of the original question was "Am I allowed to purchase ammo in the States?" The answer is yes you can, you do not need anything other than cash.
Yes you can if you have a form 6NIA from the ATF for the type of ammunition you are buying or it is worth 5-10 federally.

see broucher http://www.nafr.org/PDF/p5300_18.pdf
Old 05-15-2009, 10:00 AM

I know this has been said many times, but I will say it now. BLOODY BUREAUCRATS! There, I feel a bit better now. I seriously hope the NRA can convince Obama to cool it, though I highly doubt he will. He is a Liberal Elitist
Old 05-15-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
I know this has been said many times, but I will say it now. BLOODY BUREAUCRATS! There, I feel a bit better now. I seriously hope the NRA can convince Obama to cool it, though I highly doubt he will. He is a Liberal Elitist

Unfortunately, the laws have been in effect since 2005, so we can't blame the Bam. It wouldn't be an issue except the US Border Service has put in little booths and has started doing random checks for traffic coming back into Canada. I will say, I go over twice a wek to shoot since last August and have never had a problem. I have my form 6NIA and they only ever once checked serial numbers coming back from Manitoba. And I just got used to cheap reloading supplies too. Not worth a black mark as I enjoy being able to shoot in the States.