Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2016, 07:34 AM

Default Realtor

Ok, I think I need a new (good!) realtor. Rural in the Calgary/Airdrie area. We are buying not selling. Any recommendations?

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 05-26-2016, 08:16 AM

AO member Jamie is a seasoned realtor.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the comments and private messages. I was hoping for a realtor specialized in rural/ag. There are some different topics that needs to be discussed compared to a city home. We had a city realtor before and that was ...uhhh ...interesting. Not saying all mentioned are not able to do this but I can't tell from their info on homepage whether they have knowledge in rural properties.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 05-26-2016, 09:02 AM

Why do you need a Realtor when you are buying a home. You may find some homes listed by owner and could save $15,000 for both you and the seller.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Why do you need a Realtor when you are buying a home. You may find some homes listed by owner and could save $15,000 for both you and the seller.
You can't view a place without a realtor.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Banned

Thanks Caber.. Its been 17 or 18 years now..
I have been fortunate to do get a number of members from this board into houses, acreages and farms. From way out east near the Sask border, to Lethbridge, to north of Edmonton, to Airdrie, to Okotoks and of course plenty in Calgary.

Josey, you have a Pm.. I am confident I can answer what you need to know. And if I can't, I have the resources to make sure you guys are well taken care of.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Thanks
Jamie
403-813-2704
Old 05-26-2016, 12:40 PM

This may not be popular, but.....when the final price is agreed grind on the realtor to give up some of his/her commission.
it used to be that if a realtor referred a sale to another realtor there would be a 0.5% kickback.
my thoughts are that if there is no reffering realtor, that 0.5% should be mine, which on the house I was buying in 2005 worked out to be around $1200 (if I got my math right) pi@@ed the realtor off, but whatever, that money would have provided for my family. I didnt end up buying that house anyway.

Not having a realtor SHOULD give you a 3.5% automatic discount on the price. (the buying realtor's commision)

Realtors don't care about prices going up or down, all they care about is that people are buying and selling because that is where they make their money. So a realtor WILL ALWAYS tell you it is a good time to buy

Sure there are good realtors out there, but if you dont know a good one, you are better of doing some research and doing it on your own IMO

It sounds like Jamie has a good reputation, and would likely provide the value you need.

Last edited by Heyupduck; 05-26-2016 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
You can't view a place without a realtor.
I viewed about 15 homes without a realtor in 2005
Old 05-26-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyupduck View Post
This may not be popular, but.....when the final price is agreed grind on the realtor to give up some of his/her commission.
it used to be that if a realtor referred a sale to another realtor there would be a 0.5% kickback.
my thoughts are that if there is no reffering realtor, that 0.5% should be mine, which on the house I was buying in 2005 worked out to be around $1200 (if I got my math right) pi@@ed the realtor off, but whatever, that money would have provided for my family. I didnt end up buying that house anyway.

Not having a realtor SHOULD give you a 3.5% automatic discount on the price. (the buying realtor's commision)

Realtors don't care about prices going up or down, all they care about is that people are buying and selling because that is where they make their money. So a realtor WILL ALWAYS tell you it is a good time to buy

Sure there are good realtors out there, but if you dont know a good one, you are better of doing some research and doing it on your own IMO

It sounds like Jamie has a good reputation, and would likely provide the value you need.
Just out of curiosity what do you do for a living?
Old 05-26-2016, 01:48 PM
Banned

z
Old 05-26-2016, 01:50 PM
Banned

Quote:

Thank you for that..
Just to give you a heads up on numbers

Your numbers on a $500,000 home would be commission to the buying relator of
$17,500
Usual number is
$9500

Thanks for the kind words
Jamie
Old 05-26-2016, 01:51 PM

I cannot imagine being the person that needs to screw $1200 out of a realtor that has done their job, I wonder if they would be happy to go through life with those ethics and morals used by their employer or customers?

Sorry for the de rail.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
I cannot imagine being the person that needs to screw $1200 out of a realtor that has done their job, I wonder if they would be happy to go through life with those ethics and morals used by their employer or customers?

Sorry for the de rail.

Each to their own. At the time $1200 was over two weeks wages for me, I had a two year old child and another on the way. So I try to take back 1/7th.
realtor was standing to make around $6k or so - I get they have to pay the agency, and taxes but still..
I know a lot of people in this province can afford to buy a new truck every couple of years, I'm not one of them.
I'm not working poor, but I don't have a ton of money/
Some people can see it as screwing a realtor, I see it as negotiating.

if you put an offer on a house, are you screwing the owner?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Each to their own. At the time $1200 was over two weeks wages for me, I had a two year old child and another on the way. So I try to take back 1/7th.
realtor was standing to make around $6k or so - I get they have to pay the agency, and taxes but still..
I know a lot of people in this province can afford to buy a new truck every couple of years, I'm not one of them.
I'm not working poor, but I don't have a ton of money/
Some people can see it as screwing a realtor, I see it as negotiating.

if you put an offer on a house, are you screwing the owner?
Well, where to start, if it's a lot of money to you it doesn't matter to screw someone over. They were still making money so it's ok to screw someone over? In post 7 you wrote after the final price was agreed, that's hardly making an offer Is it? Negotiating isn't what you described in post 7, it's not ethical or moral, but each to their own.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:00 PM

Last edited by Heyupduck; 05-26-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:21 PM

Heyupduck - You earned the money and when you are spending it you are the boss. Good money management on your part.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Jamie helped me out a few years ago on a farm purchase. saved me lots of money and made the transaction go very smoothly. Can't say enough good stuff about this guy.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-26-2016, 10:41 PM

He helped me sell my acreage a couple years ago. I can be a difficult customer, he did well for me.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:39 AM

Great info. Thanks everybody.
Now I just need a paper bag for the panic attacks :-) SUCH a big decision!

Old 05-27-2016, 08:10 AM
Banned

Thank you guys...
That was really nice to read this AM..
Corey.. You were a ***** cat!.
Red Frog.. We so much have to do some goose hunting out that way.

Once again thanks guys.

Jamie