Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-05-2010, 06:45 PM

Default Blackett, Jackson, Kinnard

Hey guys going there on Saturday and i was just wondering the best place to take the qauds and boat.I've been there in the winter and was thinking of just using the staging area.Any suggestions or thoughts would be great,thanks in advance for any input.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:52 PM

I would take your quad the only place you can witch is leave from the staging area and ride to the lake and leave it there if you are camping lots of nice places on jackson
Old 07-05-2010, 09:06 PM

which staging area are you talking about? theres 1 at the north end of jackson and 1 at the south end of blackett. hope its a small boat as the trails are narrow and with all the rain be prepared for major mud bogs.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:44 PM

Going to the blackett one,just got 14' boat behind the qaud,is the other staging area better?I've only been there in the winter and we drove our truck on, can a guy get to kinnard in the boat from blackett?
Old 07-05-2010, 10:09 PM

been a couple years since i was in there last and the blackett side was brutal (went in a couple days after alot of rain, quads were in some mudholes past the seat) and the trail is 7 miles long. follow the creek in to fish kinnaird. jackson is maintained more and not as long of a bush ride. as long as your trailer isnt too wide it might be ok; quite a few boardwalks over some of the bogs that aren't much wider than a quad track. good luck and make sure the quad winch works before you go as well as patch kits for the tires.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 PM

Thanks alot for the info,i will post the trip when we get back and let you know how everything went.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 PM

you are welcome! and after the trail bashing....it'll alllllllll be worth it!
Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 AM

I would recommend the Jackson Lake staging entrance. It is 5 km total, 2 km just straight gravel trail and then 3 km through the bush. Boat launch is good and the bridges are in good condition this year too.

Cheers.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:04 PM

the jackson way in is the only way to go now its alot faster and nicer if you think the blacket side is bad you should have seen jackson 15 years ago when we started fishing it we were one day going in and one day going out normaly a winch or two and at least one quad. I sure wish they would have left it that way the fishing was way better
Old 07-06-2010, 06:28 PM

Thanks guys for the info,is the jackson staging area marked and easy to find?
Old 07-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stand junkie View Post
the jackson way in is the only way to go now its alot faster and nicer if you think the blacket side is bad you should have seen jackson 15 years ago when we started fishing it we were one day going in and one day going out normaly a winch or two and at least one quad. I sure wish they would have left it that way the fishing was way better

i agree
Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 AM

It is very easy to find. 10 miles in on the Touchwood Lake road there is a big sign that says 10 Mile Staging Area. 200 metres up the road into a big (and now crowded) parking lot. There are 2 ramps for loading and unloading ATV's along with outhouses. Get on the trail and you won't miss it. Be careful going in and out though - it isn't uncommon to meet someone coming the other way or someone hung up on the trail.

Cheers.

Ps. I agree - the old trail was an adventure that very few made an effort at. Totally worth it!
Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 AM

So the trip was a success,went to the mile 10 staging area unloaded and went fishing.The fishing was slow but still managed to keep some eyes,lots of smaller fish,fished alllllll day and caught the keepers at 9 at night.Tryed all 3 lakes,the wind kinda sucked getting around but overall what a gorgeus place to be,trail was great a few muddy spots,good time was had by all.