Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: DID you Vote
Yes 122 74.39%
No 42 25.61%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Banned

Default Did you Vote

Ok guys, lets try and keep it honest, no slams for those that didnt Vote. I am just kind of interested to see the HONEST answers.

Jamie
Old 03-03-2008, 11:33 PM

Voted on this poll or voted on the election????

Yes..............Ken Kowalski PC for Barrhead-Morinville-Westlock
Old 03-03-2008, 11:39 PM

Can't complain about the government if you don't vote ! I think it's a responsibility we should all take seriously. I've missed voting many times due to working out of town for much of the year, so I really enjoy being able to go to the polling station when I can, like today!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:07 AM

Default And it made a difference

St Albert was and I repeat was Liberal. Today it is as blue as the sky.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 AM

our liberal mla got beat to sad to see that the w.a.p in our ridding didn't even get 100 votes.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 AM

Exercised my democratic right and voted.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 AM

james im out here rigging up at dawson, what are we voting on.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 AM

everyone voted in our household . . . 4 voters
Old 03-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Didn't vote due to no WA candidate in eddie's riding.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:17 AM

I voted (as usual). Now I can legitimately complain all I want
Old 03-04-2008, 08:34 AM

I vote pretty much every federal and provincial election, but not as frequently during municipal elections.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Shrubs

First thing I did after work, and have to say that I am surprised at the results.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubs View Post
First thing I did after work, and have to say that I am surprised at the results.
Few things surprise me about politics in AB. It is starting to look like a good old one party system (oh, wait, it has been for some time now). Not that I'm anti-conservative particularly. I just think any government needs a strong opposition of some sort. We just don't have that and I don't see it happening soon (one can hope though).

It is really hard to get change when most people see things as going well (or at least aren't worried about anything that doesn't directly affect their job). Plus, the whole # of seats vs. popular vote thing doesn't help much.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:00 AM

In my 28 years of voter eligibility in Municipal, Provincial and Federal politics, I have missed one election due to extreme illness.

I really struggled with this last election but I was extremely impressed with my candiadate's resolve and commitment and the response I received from Premier Stelmach. I voted again.

Interestingly, and by my outside observations, I think the Conservatives do have a great deal of opposition within the party. It appears to me that there has been a very damaging power struggle which may have previously limited a more universal mandate. With the election results, I sense a great opportunity for a lot more clarity. I sincerely wish Premier Stelmach the best of luck. Regards, Mike
Old 03-04-2008, 09:40 AM

18 and yes i did
Old 03-04-2008, 09:44 AM

seems to me you cant call it a one party system, or complain about the lack of an opposision... bassed on the numbers, it would seem alberta likes things the way they are- blue to the horizon. the Libs and NDs are there, but nobody wants them.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:46 AM
340wtby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
james im out here rigging up at dawson, what are we voting on.
The provincial election.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM

i voted...and personally i am so tired of the smear campaign comercials. i would be far more inclined to vote for a party that told me what THEY planned to do..rather than told me what the other party hasn't done. it is real easy to smear another party...but i say either put up or shut up. i already know what the governing party is or isn't doing...quit with the degrading ads and show me some intelligent new ideas and you just might get my vote.

i am not saying the pc's didn't do their fair share of it as well..and i don't like it from them either and maybe someday my vote will mattter more.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
i voted...and personally i am so tired of the smear campaign comercials. i would be far more inclined to vote for a party that told me what THEY planned to do..rather than told me what the other party hasn't done. it is real easy to smear another party...but i say either put up or shut up. i already know what the governing party is or isn't doing...quit with the degrading ads and show me some intelligent new ideas and you just might get my vote.

i am not saying the pc's didn't do their fair share of it as well..and i don't like it from them either and maybe someday my vote will mattter more.
I don't own a tv so I apparently (thankfully) missed the attack ads. It goes to my point above, if all the opposition can do is sling mud then they aren't much use. We need people in there who can actually debate and resolve issues (much like the fine folks around here ).
Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

Default Nope

This was my first eligible federal or provincial election that I did not vote in. There was no Wildrose Alliance candidate in my riding. Could not bring myself to vote PC's as they have been acting like Liberals lately, couldn't vote Liberal because they also have been acting like Liberals, and I sure as hell wasn't voting NDP because they have been acting like communists for the last 60 years or so. Alberta is in desperate need of a right wing party along the lines of a Reform Party...Preston Manning...are you there?? Hello?

PS. I reserve my right to complain about provincial politics. I suppose I could have gone down and spoiled a ballot.

Is anyone else getting sick of governments buying our votes with our own money, or am I the only one?
Old 03-04-2008, 10:39 AM

i heard on the tv last night that preston manning has thrown his support behind the green party...anyone else hear that?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
i heard on the tv last night that preston manning has thrown his support behind the green party...anyone else hear that?
Was that on a comedy show?

Sheesh, that would mix things up.

Although, if you actually read a bit of the green platform they aren't necessarily the left wing enviro whackos people tend to think they are. Maybe Preston could find a niche. I'm not too sure how proud of that "catch" they would be though.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Twice the Average

It would appear we have more concern for the way things should be run than the average Albertain. Yestedays election had the lowest voter turnot ever at 42%. If you look at our response it was almost double that. Those that earned you the privlige would e proud.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:15 PM
christensen

Default Voted

I did not vote.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:23 PM

I didn't vote either. I couldn't give my vote to any of them in good conscience.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 PM

My wife and I both voted. I was for the W.A.P. and I'm not sure what she did but in any event we went from Red to Blue in Millwoods. Not to slam those who didn't vote but.....no complaining later. My guy didn't win but I can bitch til I'm blue in the face. Wooohoooo.
LB
Old 03-04-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
Was that on a comedy show?

Sheesh, that would mix things up.

Although, if you actually read a bit of the green platform they aren't necessarily the left wing enviro whackos people tend to think they are. Maybe Preston could find a niche. I'm not too sure how proud of that "catch" they would be though.
nope it was on the "news".....and i agree...if you get past all the hype of global warming and such...the green party does have some valid points. i wouldn't mind a little green stirred in with the blue.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:38 PM

I did not vote. Iam not in my province right now, but Iam usually a PC

Take a kid hunting and see some great smiles
Old 03-04-2008, 04:29 PM

Didn't vote in the election, but I did vote in this poll to make up for it. I figured "why bother"? My vote would have been as pointless as the one here. Lots of farmers and ranchers in my riding and the MLA is the Agriculture minister. This seat ain't going anywhere... and I'm not exactly sure I wanted it to. Best of a bunch of bad options.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

Default just an old wives tale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB 270 View Post
My wife and I both voted. I was for the W.A.P. and I'm not sure what she did but in any event we went from Red to Blue in Millwoods. Not to slam those who didn't vote but.....no complaining later. My guy didn't win but I can bitch til I'm blue in the face. Wooohoooo.
LB
Actually, I didn't vote, and you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be complaining about the government as usual. There was no smaller government choice in my riding. Either status quo, or larger government. By voting for any of the 3 parties that were available I would only be lending credibility to them. So...no thanks. The argument could actually be made that by voting status quo you have relinquished your right to complain when they continue sticking their hands in your pocket. By abstaining from endorsing the status quo I have withheld my consent from government to continue on as they have in the past.

How much legitmacy would a government have if they achieved 58% of the popular vote with a 10% voter turnout? I would say that would be a pretty huge signal that there was room for another party to start up. Unfortunately, Paul Hinman and the WAP lacked political legitmacy that they may have garnered had they been lead by someone such as PReston Manning, or Ted Morton. I like a lot of the WAP policies but unfortunately it seems like people were unwilling to take a chance on them. Oh well, maybe next time around, or maybe Stelmach will take the low voter turnout as a hint to shape up. (probably not).

I'll keep complaining about government stealing from me at any rate.

Just my 2 cents.