Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 04:16 AM
Banned

Default Apologies to the members and the moderators

Within the thread started by Anhorn whom was looking to get his barrel cut and crowned, I allowed another member to irritate me so much that I lowered myself to his level and responded by name calling. I apologize to you all and the mods for my behaviour. Obviously, I do not look forward to being handed an infraction but first and foremost I always look forward to providing help and suggestions whenever I can. As recommended by several friends who have PM'd me and even texted me, I would delete my response or at least modify it, but I cannot. I suggested to Anhorn that a barrel can be cut and crowned for a mere $35.00. As a result, my abilities and workmanship comes under attack from this member. The job only takes about a half hour, whether done on a lathe or off the lathe with the proper Manson Reamer tooling which is specifically designed to do this job properly. I see no reason why anyone would wish to gouge fellow shooters for such a mediocre task. Anyhow, thanks for the friends that contacted me and have my back in this matter, and my sincere apologies to the other members and moderators. No matter how this person attacks me, he will no longer be worthy of a response from me.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:25 AM

The ignore list serves many functions.
If it helps keep one from rising to the bait being trolled, it is a great tool to survival.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-20-2015, 06:34 AM

Ignore function has served me well.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:56 AM

I saw the situation developing, and I personally avoided that thread, because I didn't want to get drawn into the nonsense that usually results if you get into a debate with the poster in question. Hopefully the next time he tries to bait you, you take his posts for what they are, and resist the temptation to stoop to his level. You are one of the members of this forum that make a sincere effort to contribute knowledge and information that helps other members, so don't let certain posters that only seem to post in order to aggravate you , bait you into making posts that you will regret later.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:46 AM

Smile This may be a good time to ask

I always wondered if you could cut a rifle barrel to make it shorter and not lose any accuracy. I have been thinking of an old military rifle. It sure would make the gun lighter and that would be a big asset.

Why does the barrel need to be "crowned" I'm not just sure what that means either.

I have seen pictures recently of barrels, at the muzzle, where the outside edge of the barrel is longer than the bore. (I hope I have explained that well) why is that?

If this is a high jack I'm sorry, I just thought that only reasonable people would be reading this thread and I know that at least 3 of you can answer these questions.

Thx guys.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:54 AM

Accuracy does not get lost when a barrel is cut and crowned properly
There are many different designs that people use when crowning a muzzle but basically as long and the edge of the muzzle is even the rifle will shoot properly .
Many prefer a straight recessed Crown to protect the muzzle itself , I others like a radius on the crown - they actually both serve the same purpose.
Cat
Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 AM

I've had several barrels cut and crowned and accuracy has NEVER deteriorated. Ever.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 AM

Rather than apologising we should be asking why these idiotic antagonists are allowed to remain here. It is obvious who they are and they bring nothing to the forum except attracting more of the same.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I've had several barrels cut and crowned and accuracy has NEVER deteriorated. Ever.
yup! the barrel was crowned in the first place crowning it properly wont hurt, it might even help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Rather than apologising we should be asking why these idiotic antagonists are allowed to remain here. It is obvious who they are and they bring nothing to the forum except attracting more of the same.
report posts you feel are doing this and eventually they might listen
Old 11-20-2015, 08:35 AM

well said Gitrdone
Old 11-20-2015, 08:45 AM

I feel for you and I don't see a need to apologise. You always try to add value but we are all human. Eventually, with enough prodding our tempers will show through. As hard as I try to stay above the nonsense and not respond to these trolls there are a couple that really push my buttons. I have been sucked in by them before getting smart enough to use the ignore function, unfortunately ignore doesn't solve the problem for others.

All I can say is do what I try to do and that is to ignore them, as hard as that is. The mods on here are pretty good, hopefully they look at the whole thread before just handing out an infraction.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I always wondered if you could cut a rifle barrel to make it shorter and not lose any accuracy. I have been thinking of an old military rifle. It sure would make the gun lighter and that would be a big asset.

Why does the barrel need to be "crowned" I'm not just sure what that means either.

I have seen pictures recently of barrels, at the muzzle, where the outside edge of the barrel is longer than the bore. (I hope I have explained that well) why is that?

If this is a high jack I'm sorry, I just thought that only reasonable people would be reading this thread and I know that at least 3 of you can answer these questions.

Thx guys.
When I was a young fellow a local gun smith cut a 303 Brit from full length to pistol length checking accuracy every 12". At this time in Nova Scotia you could buy a good 303 for 10 or 20 dollars. He found very little change.

Think of the bullet as a spinning top a child would play with. The smother the release the faster the top stabilizes and spins. If it is released perfectly it is stable almost from the start.

The crown is the release point. If there is a burr or nick in the bore at this point it will create a tiny bit of drag on one side destabilizing the bullet. This causing it to yawn. If the imperfection is slight the bullet will stabilize (much like the spinning top) but accuracy with suffer. If the imperfection is greater accuracy is all over the place.

If the crown is not true to the bore (cut 90 degrees) the extreme pressure behind the bullet will be released on one side slightly before the other. This again will have the same yawn effect as above.

Knowing the importance of the crown, gun smiths and manufacturers have learned to counter bore every so slightly to protect this release point.

Visual inspection of the crown would only reveal major damage. A gun smith would use a scope to see these tiny imperfections. Sometimes lightly rubbing a Q-tip along the rifling will reveal an imperfection as it pulls the cotton.

One should not assume the crown is good because they have never physical banged the muzzle. Moisture can cause corrosion as the muzzle is most likely to contact snow or rain, improper cleaning or the use of bore snakes can wear or ding the crown, an imperfection in the steel can be missed by quality control and some are just poor cut right from the factory.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:57 AM

Smile Way more than 3 experts!

Great answers and they make scientific sense.

Why were the old military barrels so long? My guess is that powders have improved but I could be wrong.

I remember $10 .303s.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:

Why were the old military barrels so long? My guess is that powders have improved but I could be wrong.

I remember $10 .303s.
$10 .303s and $25 mags at Grunows in Wainwright. The coffee was free. Good Times

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-20-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I remember $10 .303s.
It had to do with the sight radius.
In order to achieve the expectation surrounding volly fire, the barrels were that long to give an adequate sight radius to do such things.

There was also the long held belief in bayonet fighting, where a longer barrel gave you more reach, kinda like a pike pole.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-20-2015, 09:35 AM

I have had a couple of barrels that were not shooting as well as they should ... cut and recrowned. In both cases, improvement was noticeable.
A friend that toured Cooper a couple of years ago was told when a rifle was not shooting to their requirement, the first remedy they attempted was to recrown.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I have had a couple of barrels that were not shooting as well as they should ... cut and recrowned. In both cases, improvement was noticeable.
A friend that toured Cooper a couple of years ago was told when a rifle was not shooting to their requirement, the first remedy they attempted was to recrown.
i've had accuracy degrade on one of my rifles. i suspect it's from dragging a brass brush over the edge of the crown.

i have plans to re cut the crown to see if accuracy comes back
Old 11-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Within the thread started by Anhorn whom was looking to get his barrel cut and crowned, I allowed another member to irritate me so much that I lowered myself to his level and responded by name calling. I apologize to you all and the mods for my behaviour. Obviously, I do not look forward to being handed an infraction but first and foremost I always look forward to providing help and suggestions whenever I can. As recommended by several friends who have PM'd me and even texted me, I would delete my response or at least modify it, but I cannot. I suggested to Anhorn that a barrel can be cut and crowned for a mere $35.00. As a result, my abilities and workmanship comes under attack from this member. The job only takes about a half hour, whether done on a lathe or off the lathe with the proper Manson Reamer tooling which is specifically designed to do this job properly. I see no reason why anyone would wish to gouge fellow shooters for such a mediocre task. Anyhow, thanks for the friends that contacted me and have my back in this matter, and my sincere apologies to the other members and moderators. No matter how this person attacks me, he will no longer be worthy of a response from me.
One of the mods sent you a PM saying you have to apologize?
Old 11-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by levigne25 View Post
One of the mods sent you a PM saying you have to apologize?
i'm not apologizing for my infraction i got because it was a blatantly obvious joke. although i probably should in case the guy was actually offended.

they don't really do that, they leave it up to you to prove that you're worthy to saty
Closed Thread