Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2016, 04:56 PM

Default What a driver!

Kyle Busch has just swept the nascar weekend at Indianapolis motor speedway becoming the first driver in nascar history to win the pole position and race at both the xfinity and sprint cup races, I didn't watch the xfinity race but man did he dominate the sprint cup race leading 149 of 170 laps. Amazing talented driver and here's hoping he wins his second consecutive championship this year!

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne
Old 07-24-2016, 10:31 PM

http://youtu.be/mnutXjBt6LU
Old 07-24-2016, 10:51 PM

He's a sack, they even boo him in Vegas...goof should let the rookies drive xfinity.. Oooo I'm good I just beat a bunch of rookies... He got lucky last yr he won't win this year...and wasent it 4 in a row dnf. 😏
Old 07-24-2016, 11:20 PM

He is not that great a driver, the only thing he has going for him is that JGR has managed to put together some really good cars.
Any Nascar driver out there could do just as well or better with those cars.
He is known to be a whining prima donna throughout the Nascar racing world.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:22 PM
Banned

Congrats to this fellow.
Not trying to denigrate him or the sport, but I have a question. We were having a debate about this whole Russian Olympic track team on drugs thing. I say it should be a wide open field as long as it's men vs men and women vs women. I don't care if the winner had cough syrup in his system when he clocked in as the fastest man on the planet, or someone ate a poppy seed muffin before throwing a javelin further then any one else.
I've never heard of the winner/s of of a pool tourney, golf tourney, poker tourney, football or hockey tourney, And most importantly of all a fishing tourney having to give up the trophy to the losers because they tested positive for something on the banned list.
My question, Did the winner of this car race have to be tested for any kind of drugs?
Old 07-24-2016, 11:32 PM

NASCAR Substance Abuse Policy:

Competitors are asked to take a drug test if there is "reasonable suspicion."

Anyone who obtains any kind of NASCAR license must sign an "authorization for testing and release" waiver each season.

NASCAR can ask for samples of urine, blood, saliva, hair or breath tests if "reasonable suspicion" of drug use has been established.

A number of NASCAR officials are trained to take and seal samples for testing, and all are versed in detecting signs of impairment.

NASCAR encourages "whistle blowing" among its competitors to help police its substance abuse policy.

NASCAR reserves the right to suspend a competitor based on a conviction for driving a passenger vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or a drug-related conviction.

Competitors and officials are prohibited from consuming alcohol prior to or during a race.

If a person fails a drug test and wants to return to racing, he or she must submit to a series of spot testing. The person being tested must pay for the examinations.

If an individual is reinstated, NASCAR reserves the right to randomly test that individual.

NASCAR does not recommend specific rehabilitation programs but strongly encourages self-help and treatment for those afflicted with a drug problem or alcohol abuse.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Congrats to this fellow.
Not trying to denigrate him or the sport, but I have a question. We were having a debate about this whole Russian Olympic track team on drugs thing. I say it should be a wide open field as long as it's men vs men and women vs women. I don't care if the winner had cough syrup in his system when he clocked in as the fastest man on the planet, or someone ate a poppy seed muffin before throwing a javelin further then any one else.
I've never heard of the winner/s of of a pool tourney, golf tourney, poker tourney, football or hockey tourney, And most importantly of all a fishing tourney having to give up the trophy to the losers because they tested positive for something on the banned list.
My question, Did the winner of this car race have to be tested for any kind of drugs?
I'm afraid I can't agree with you about the doping.
The Olympics are still supposed to be 'amateur', though of course with the money dumped into them by the competing nations that is questionable.
But a great many of these athletes are involved with school (university) teams and the like. Some of them are 16 years old.
So are you suggesting we should be doping up some 16 year old kid who just happens to be a superb runner or swimmer?
Now professional sports...that's a whole other hill of beans. If some football player in his 20's (meaning he should be old enough to make his own decisions), being paid millions of dollars decides he needs a boost...I don't have much of a problem with that. Hopefully he's smart enough to put some of his money aside when the inevitable medical problems happen down the road.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 AM

Nascar and good drivers in the same sentence... baaahaha...
Old 07-25-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Congrats to this fellow.
Nope.. I completely disagree. Doping should not be allowed. There is a HUGE advantage for the richer countries when you allow doping, it becomes a battle of who has the best chemist.

Something as simple as Blood transfusions is a large advantage in endurance sports, which is also considered doping. (Exercise uses oxygen in the blood, that takes days to recover, swapping blood gives a huge boost).
Old 07-25-2016, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Nascar and good drivers in the same sentence... baaahaha...
Coming from someone who has raced for a good number of years, both Formula Ford (sports car circuit racing) and pro rally...don't sell NASCAR drivers short.
Even the guys on Top Gear had a change of opinion when the spent some time with a couple of NASCAR drivers on a high banked circuit.
It isn't the same skill set as F1 or the sort...but YOU try driving 5" off someones bumper surrounded by traffic...at 200mph and 3g and I guarantee you'll have a change of opinion.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Congrats to this fellow.
that is why the race track is paved..because they dont drive as fast when they are on 'grass'

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-25-2016, 11:38 AM
Banned

Scum .... no respect for a driver who smash's a beautiful hand made trophy ... dirtbag !!!
Old 07-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Coming from someone who has raced for a good number of years, both Formula Ford (sports car circuit racing) and pro rally...don't sell NASCAR drivers short.
Even the guys on Top Gear had a change of opinion when the spent some time with a couple of NASCAR drivers on a high banked circuit.
It isn't the same skill set as F1 or the sort...but YOU try driving 5" off someones bumper surrounded by traffic...at 200mph and 3g and I guarantee you'll have a change of opinion.
yup
Old 07-25-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Or go and witness a race its something else...
Old 07-25-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree..

Yes different skill set, but it is more of a learned skill vs "natural talent" skill. You look at any F1/indy/rally driver, they just have that natural talent to be able to drive anything, and drive it well.

I have yet to see a Nascar driver become successful in any other driving discipline. In fact, I don't know of one.

Is Nascar Entertaining.. Hell yea.

But I wouldn't say they are "good" drivers compared to other disciplines. Are they better than you or me.. Maybe..

That's the nice thing about opinions.. Everyone has one..
Old 07-25-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba 96 View Post
Or go and witness a race its something else...
Didn't say it wasn't entertaining..

But that's no different than any other motorsport.. Amateur events included.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:24 PM

I can somewhat see the attraction of nascar if you are at the race because you get to see the whole race all the time. But in terms of actual excitement and definitely for watching on tv it is at an all time low for excitement compared to many other racing setups. Except maybe drunken golfcart rallys, that one is a toss up.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree..

Yes different skill set, but it is more of a learned skill vs "natural talent" skill. You look at any F1/indy/rally driver, they just have that natural talent to be able to drive anything, and drive it well.

I have yet to see a Nascar driver become successful in any other driving discipline. In fact, I don't know of one.

Is Nascar Entertaining.. Hell yea.

But I wouldn't say they are "good" drivers compared to other disciplines. Are they better than you or me.. Maybe..

That's the nice thing about opinions.. Everyone has one..
Olympic short course cyclist have tender to do poorly when they (not many) have tried events like the Tour de France.
Guess by your reasoning they really aren't very good...so why are they in the Olympics?
About twenty years ago the McGill sports medicine dept (considered one of the best) included top NASCAR drivers as amongst the fittest athletes.
You likely didn't know that 90% of drivers in a NASCAR race will suffer some degree of carbon monoxide poisening...or that they will lose between 4 and 12 lbs due to sweat...or that upto 50% of drivers in a 500mi hi banked race will suffer muscle cramps that would sideline an NFL player an entire game.
And by the way, in 2013 Kimi Riakkonen (F1) tried NASCAR.
He finished a dismal 27th at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I have yet to see a Nascar driver become successful in any other driving discipline. In fact, I don't know of one...
So basically nascar drivers can't drive on tracks other than oval tracks? By that logic those people from other disciplines should win every race that nascar goes to a road course yet this is very rarely the case. I will agree with your comment on opinions tho.

Big mouth don't make a big man-John Wayne