Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2012, 07:16 PM

Default went to see the witch doctor today

bowen therapy............ any body else use this type of alternative therapy.
Seems to be pressure point therapy guess we'll see.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritlabradors View Post
bowen therapy............ any body else use this type of alternative therapy.
Seems to be pressure point therapy guess we'll see.
I hope it works.

Old geezer greylynx does not like those arthritis pills.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:11 AM

A contractor in town I was doing some work with had me go to his wife for this Bowen therapy. Damaged facet joints and herniated discs is my issue. I went with an open mind a few times as recommended. She was very disappointed that I felt absolutely zero relief from the treatment, I was actually MORE uncomfortable when I was done each treatment from the position I had to lay in. I think many of these alternative treatments have a high amount of success based on the feel good endorphins some people experience from a new experience. If it works for you and gives you relief, then it works for you and keep doing it. It just seemed a waste of money every week to go and pay to get crippled for 2-3 days....basically counterproductive for me

I have had it all, reflexology, iridology, live blood analysis, accupuncture, accupressure, myofascial release, rolfing, thought field therapy, whole body vibration, craniosacral therapy, chiropractic and the list goes on. When it comes right down to brass tacks the medial branch nerves in and around one of my facet joints are smashed and the joint is irrepairable. Radio Frequency Ablation worked, had it done on Feb. 10th at Healthpointe in Edmonton. Localized chronic lower back nerve pain and leg pain that I have lived with for over 25yrs is gone, completely.

Bottom line is, if whatever you are doing works for you, keep doing it. Everyone reacts to treatments differently, I think after so many years of chronic pain the "feel good" part of the treatment just wasn't gonna cut it. It either works for real or it doesn't, and most of them did zip other than cost me a few bux and an hour in my underwear.
2009 Diamond Stud by Bowtech, Trophy Ridge Hitman 3 pin .019 sight, Anchor Sight, G5 Expert II rest, Axion 6" 9oz. stabilizer, Easton Lightspeed 3D arrows, 4" Bohning wraps and 2" Vanes, My Paracord Projects
My Music Exploits,
Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder_sticks View Post
A contractor in town I was doing some work with had me go to his wife for this Bowen therapy. Damaged facet joints and herniated discs is my issue. I went with an open mind a few times as recommended. She was very disappointed that I felt absolutely zero relief from the treatment, I was actually MORE uncomfortable when I was done each treatment from the position I had to lay in. I think many of these alternative treatments have a high amount of success based on the feel good endorphins some people experience from a new experience. If it works for you and gives you relief, then it works for you and keep doing it. It just seemed a waste of money every week to go and pay to get crippled for 2-3 days....basically counterproductive for me

I have had it all, reflexology, iridology, live blood analysis, accupuncture, accupressure, myofascial release, rolfing, thought field therapy, whole body vibration, craniosacral therapy, chiropractic and the list goes on. When it comes right down to brass tacks the medial branch nerves in and around one of my facet joints are smashed and the joint is irrepairable. Radio Frequency Ablation worked, had it done on Feb. 10th at Healthpointe in Edmonton. Localized chronic lower back nerve pain and leg pain that I have lived with for over 25yrs is gone, completely.

Bottom line is, if whatever you are doing works for you, keep doing it. Everyone reacts to treatments differently, I think after so many years of chronic pain the "feel good" part of the treatment just wasn't gonna cut it. It either works for real or it doesn't, and most of them did zip other than cost me a few bux and an hour in my underwear.
Holy schmooly thunder_sticks, If this doesn't work that 25 years of chronic pain relief you and I will talk again. Curious to see down the road if your treatment works. Have to admit I'm as sore as frick today sighs.

Good luck
Old 04-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritlabradors View Post
Holy schmooly thunder_sticks, If this doesn't work that 25 years of chronic pain relief you and I will talk again. Curious to see down the road if your treatment works. Have to admit I'm as sore as frick today sighs.

Good luck

sighs month into it. probably my worst month in 10 years. Sent my wife into do pre-damage control (couldn't lift my arms but my forehead was going to try and contact someones head) before I went back for second treatment to see if they could UN_FIX what they fixed/wrecked. And surprising it helped for exactly 4 days.

And now my third treatment $180 my scepticisim is well I'm just a dumb azz.

Think its back to the drawing bored, so sore can't even excercise them.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:49 AM

If it is not working, stop. Try something else.

I know a few people who have tried Bowen method and have not heard any stories of great success.

I have had good success with some issues through Chiropractic. Best result I have had is with a method called Orthobionomy (utilizes Osteopathy theory and techniques, but slightly different); it is recommended if you can find someone nearby.

PM me if you want me to try and find a practitioner that is accessible for you.

Cheers.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:55 AM

http://www.tensproducts.com/

I tried one of these in Hawaii, worked great for my shoulder. May be an option, if you can get a demo somewhere, definitely give it a shot. I was going to buy one there, but the little sales guys were so slimy I left it there. They are all over The intraweb.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM

If a treatment is making you feel better, keep it up.

However, keep in mind the placebo effect and just how much people want to take your money. Homeopathy is sugar pills and water sold at exorbitant prices, and a lot of alternative 'medicine' is the same, though they might just be jabbing you with needles instead of making you drink vials of water.

To quote the immortal Tim Minchin; 'Know what they call alternative medicines that are are proven to work? MEDICINE.'
Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 PM

Default Radio Frequency Ablation

any other feedback before I fold up like a wet shirt and go for a cortizone shot Doc says maybe one more before it becomes ineffective.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 AM

The series of visits that led to the RFA treatment went like this.

Visit 1 : Confirm injury and initial assessment of pain location and severity.

Visit 2 : Local anaesthetic in the specific facet joint thought to be the problem joint, success....pain went away 100% for 3-4hrs befor returning. This confirmed the correct location was found. These shots are xray guided.

Visit 3 : Local anaesthetic and a Cortisone injection directly in to the specific facet joint. This actually made me MORE uncomfortable for about a month. I believe it was the process of working the needle into the damaged, narrowed joint. Once the minor irritation of the joint was gone my pain was basically the same as before. This is xray guided as well, sometimes all the doctors do is flood the entire area of the pain with a whole ****wack of cortisone and hope it hits the right spot. This is a smaller dose, directly to the area that is causing the pain. I have had the other type of cortisone shot, and they did little to help if anything either.

Visit 4 : Radio Frequency Ablation, this consisted of three needles from different angles to heat the medial branch nerve that was being irritated by the damaged facet joint. Also a couple smaller needles for the local freezing. This process took the same amount of time as the first two treatment visits, but I walked out a new man with zero pain in my lumbar area. Also xray guided, very little discomfort if any. The discomfort was far less than my regular daily back pain so it was a walk in the park. Much like the dentist, the worst part is the first bit of the first needle then nothing but sensing pressure as they work on you.

The entire process from first visit to last was a 9 month process, minor considering I am 43 now and this problem began on my 18th birthday!

I agree with others on the homeopathy and other touted natural treatments, sometimes it is a sugar pill with a big price tag. Most back pain flare ups will right themselves within 8 weeks. All a person has to do is get you to come back for 8 weeks so they can shine the magic blue light on you and you are CURED! When in fact all that has happened is your body adjusted to and figured out how to deal with the problem without any real outside help. Be careful who you give your money too, the stuff is too damn hard to get these days! Hope you feel better soon.
2009 Diamond Stud by Bowtech, Trophy Ridge Hitman 3 pin .019 sight, Anchor Sight, G5 Expert II rest, Axion 6" 9oz. stabilizer, Easton Lightspeed 3D arrows, 4" Bohning wraps and 2" Vanes, My Paracord Projects
My Music Exploits,