Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Default Young buck looking to get into hunting/firearms

Hey Everyone,

I just did my PAL test a couple weekends ago and am looking to become accustomed to hunting and guns.

My dad has a couple .22s and a 12ga that I will be able to use once all the paperwork is official but they have sat for 30-40 years. Could someone guide me as to what needs to be done to make sure they're safe to fire?so

The shotgun is a CIL 607, and the .22s are both CILs from the same era. I recognise that they are cheap guns so basically a good starting point. The barrel of the shotgun is clean as a whistle - except for some lint from the case it has sat in, so pitting isn't an issue.

I have no idea what kind of a choke is on this gun so I don't know if it is suitable for bird hunting or what.

Otherwise, what kind of a shotgun is recommended to buy? My friend has an 870 express and it's quite nice and affordable - and based on my limited understanding/experience, it is one of the most common and reliable shotguns out there.

Cheers!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:32 AM

if the bores are clean and the actions tight when closed, i would clean and lightly oil the working parts and go hunting. If you are unsure from this discription, have a qualified individual look them over first. What kind of birds you intend to hunt will decide if the shot gun is okay. For upland, the shotgun and 22's are both fine(even though the choke may not be the best for closeup), for Migratory, I doubt it would be okay for steel shot, but again, have someone check it out for you. If you want to buy a shot gun, set a budget and try the fit and feel of several in that price range. Fit is very important for accurate wing shooting. there are many individuals on here who know more about shotgunning than me , they will probably add to this, or correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM

The 22's may or may not be cheaper guns, what are the model numbers?
if it's a singlle shot model 180 or a repeater 310, you have very good rifles.
Even the 125 iis an Anschutz made rifle, allthough a but less expensiive than the first two

Cat
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 PM

Get signed up for the course that you require as a first time hunter , so you can get out hunting ASAP. You can shop for guns while you wait for your PAL to arrive.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:01 PM

I just checked and one .22 is a CIL125 and the other is a Cooey 600... anything there? Or should I say bye to them and go buy something?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 PM

Keep them both, theye will be fine.
No, they are not high dollar guns, but I would bet that both are more than sufficiently accurate!
Cat
Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 AM

imo.. i would check to see if there is a Fish and Game club or shooting club in say 2 hrs from me and join then buy some scope rings and scope and mount on the 22s and get some size 7 to 4 shot for upland birds and go to your range and ask when the trap shooting takes place and see if you can buy a round to try out .. then shoot your shotgun and and sight in your 22s that day later and have fun fun fun .. you have some nice guns .. remember that some 22s shoot better with differnt 22 amo.. so try a few brands and see which shoots better for your guns..

Food for Thought

David