Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2024, 03:27 PM

Default Winch problem

I have an electrical problem with my daughter’s winch. 2001 Honda 350 rancher with a warn winch. I used it one day, then it would not retract the next. Did some research to find the problem. I hooked up a battery to the winch and it worked. The battery on the Honda registered 12.8v. I tested the starter solenoid and it register about the same. Nothing registered on the winch itself. 4 wires on the winch switch registered differently. Either 0 or -15 or so. The winch solenoid registered 12.55 on the power going in and O going out. I figured it was the solenoid so I replaced it. Checked the voltage going in to it and it was 12.55. Going out was -0.20. Winch did not work from the switch. What is wrong? BEL
Old 05-28-2024, 06:41 PM

Do a load test on the battery. The battery may be good enough to start the machine but not good enough to run the winch.
eg. starter draw test may show a 100amp draw on the battery and the winch draw may show a 125 amp draw.
Load test the battery about half the cold crank amps of the battery and it shouldn't drop below 9.6 volts and if it does drop below 9.6 you have a weak to bad battery depending how low it drops. This may be the reason the winch works good when you hook another battery to to winch. The problem may be as simple as a loose cable or a dirty connection at the battery for the wires running to the winch from the battery.