Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-25-2014, 12:35 PM

Default Keeping your blades sharp

I have just finished tuning my broad heads. Some of my blades got a little dull in the process. They're not too bad just not as sharp as before. I couldn't find a practice head anywhere for my broad heads, if that's what any of you guys were going to say. I'm shooting shuttle black ops. I found on they're site that they have replacement blades for the black ops. Same grain and everything. So I was just wondering if anyone has tried using the original blades that came on their heads for practice and then toss on brand new blades for hunting. Will my arrow fly the exact same? This might be a bonehead question. I was just wondering your thoughts.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:37 PM

IMO you MUST replace or resharpen your blades before hunting with them if you have shot the even a single time into ANY target. Must.

More animals are lost from this single mistake (being kind calling it a mistake) than any other factor.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:59 PM

X2 ...Dont know if I would say its the leading factor in lost critters but it very well could be up there...

Those heads will be very dull...Absolutely get a couple packs of replacement blades..they are cheap compared to most heads...$20.00 for enough to replace three...

There are methods to top up heads to get them razor sharp but shot into targets destroys them for hunting IMHO...keep them for Broadhead tuning next year...

I go a step further...I even rotate my arrows in my quiver...#1 arrow can get even get somewhat dull being pulled out quiver six times a day..after a week I make it #4 and Bring up #2

I replace blades every year if in quiver...

The #1 will still be plenty sharp for a "Coup De Grâce" shot for a finishing humane shot if needed...

Neil
Old 08-25-2014, 01:29 PM

Practice heads/blades don't always shoot the same as sharp.

I never shoot a used broadhead (blades or ferrule) at an animal. Once they hit something, they are either practice/tuning if they spin perfect, or garbage if they show a wobble. It amazes me that guys will spend thousands on gas and gear, then try to straighten or resharpen a $10 broadhead.

In answer to your question, buy new broadheads for hunting, and spin test. Then you're good to go.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
IMO you MUST replace or resharpen your blades before hunting with them if you have shot the even a single time into ANY target. Must.

More animals are lost from this single mistake (being kind calling it a mistake) than any other factor.
Agree...100%

LC
Old 08-25-2014, 03:07 PM

Awesome guys thanks a lot. I've always just used two broad heads to sight in and then bought another pack that I used for hunting. After broad head tuning I cannot believe how tight my group is now. Hey L.O.S.T. you wouldn't by chance have any replacement blades in stock?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter12 View Post
Awesome guys thanks a lot. I've always just used two broad heads to sight in and then bought another pack that I used for hunting. After broad head tuning I cannot believe how tight my group is now. Hey L.O.S.T. you wouldn't by chance have any replacement blades in stock?
Not for the shuttle's Ops No! sorry...

Neil