Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2020, 07:12 AM

Default Does F&G watch Wild TV

Caught a few minutes of a show called "Outdoor Release TV" yesterday they were moose hunting in Alberta and shot a small moose from a boat, and you could clearly hear the motor running.
Nothing bothers me more than people making money while exploiting our wildlife in an unlawful manner!

found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-W_5ovR3ZQ
look at around minute 10.

What do you think?

the regs :
have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from
a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting, or
any kind of aircraft or vehicle whether it is moving or stationary.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
Caught a few minutes of a show called "Outdoor Release TV" yesterday they were moose hunting in Alberta and shot a small moose from a boat, and you could clearly hear the motor running.
Nothing bothers me more than people making money while exploiting our wildlife in an unlawful manner!

What do you think?

the regs :
have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from
a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting, or
Agree fully with your comments and is the video is another great example of how far down the scale this show has slid. However IMO it would be difficult to prove in a court of law without additional footage. While the motor is clearly running (approx 10:15 in the video) while the "hunter" lines up the shot, there is no clear evidence that the rifle is loaded (it most likely is however that is conjecture on my part and would probably be the legal argument if it went to trial .... and no, I am not a lawyer). When the shot is taken (at around 10:42) in the video the boat he is occupying does not appear to be moving however the motor is clearly still in the down position. It will be claimed that the sound of the motor running is the chase/camera boat. I will let the court of AO debate and decide the relative merits of this one
Old 10-04-2020, 07:50 AM

As long as all forward motion has stopped

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2020, 07:52 AM

Lone Wolf, your comments were my thoughts exactly! Is there enough evidence for a conviction?
Boat has to be at anchor!
What constitutes an anchor? Can you drop a 5oz.pryamid sinker on a hand line
over the side and call it an anchor?
Old 10-04-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post

What do you think?

the regs :

If you think they took it illegally, report it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2020, 07:55 AM

I say call the Poacher Tip line and let them investigate. Provide the details, show link etc. At least then Fish and Wildlife is aware of the issue. They can access a lot more photo footage to tell whether any laws were being broken.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:11 AM

I watched the host of Hunting with HECS last night. He shot a mulie buck with a doe standing behind it. The arrow was a complete pass through and stuck in the doe's ass. Not a word mentioned about it. Just before he took the shot I said to my wife what is he doing, there is a doe right behind the buck. What a idiot.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
I watched the host of Hunting with HECS last night. He shot a mulie buck with a doe standing behind it. The arrow was a complete pass through and stuck in the doe's ass. Not a word mentioned about it. Just before he took the shot I said to my wife what is he doing, there is a doe right behind the buck. What a idiot.

Another prime example of a call that needs to be made to the TIP line. Only way these guys will learn is if they get some big fines and negative attention that impacts their sponsors. Emailing the shows specific sponsors may be worth some time come to think of it.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yup....call it in.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-04-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Was this in Alberta or somewhere else in Canada ?
Old 10-04-2020, 09:31 AM

In the same program watch the main host pull the trigger while taking a sight in confirmation shot at the start of the episode. Eyes closed and head pulling backwards while jerking the trigger hard. Looks like my granddaughter trying to swallow a mouth full of peas. Might be time to move to a .243 bud.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:20 AM
Banned

Twice now I've been in a hunting camp while there is a crew (c/w hunter) filming for their show. Both times I can tell you that the footage you see on the show of the kill isn't what went down in real life.

There's a lot of editing, splicing and re-shooting of lead up segments before it's all put together.

Can't speak for the show in question, but I do know it does happen.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:19 AM

Sounds to me like the engine heard running when he took the shot was the trailing boat with the cameraman. The host is a real piece of work tho....
Old 10-04-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoHDI View Post
Sounds to me like the engine heard running when he took the shot was the trailing boat with the cameraman. The host is a real piece of work tho....
that's one reason I was asking for others opinions but,
shooters boat still needs to be anchored
Old 10-04-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
In the same program watch the main host pull the trigger while taking a sight in confirmation shot at the start of the episode. Eyes closed and head pulling backwards while jerking the trigger hard. Looks like my granddaughter trying to swallow a mouth full of peas. Might be time to move to a .243 bud.
That was my reaction as well, holy cant flinch. Host seems like a tool.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:26 PM

The camera man is a HEAVY breather.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
As long as all forward motion has stopped

That is incorrect.
The regs clearly state that a boat must be under manual power only, or at anchor.
They are not at anchor.
The water is moving right to left and they stay pointed at shore with no ropes tied to the right side of the boat. Whether the motor is running or not is irrelevant.

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 10-05-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
That was my reaction as well, holy cant flinch. Host seems like a tool.
The host is a total loser. I would have no problems saying that to his face either.
The bad-mouthing of his guide, the weather, the equipment, and the lodge was getting pretty old. Only to turn around the second that he's successful and talk about how great all those things are.
His cameraman wasn't much better. Probably why they get along.
The part at the 3:40 mark where he's disgruntled that his guide doesn't have a pistol to protect him from the possibility of wolves takes the cake though.

Do us a favour sunglasses-man, don't come back.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
That is incorrect.

The regs clearly state that a boat must be under manual power only, or at anchor.

They are not at anchor.

The water is moving right to left and they stay pointed at shore with no ropes tied to the right side of the boat. Whether the motor is running or not is irrelevant.
So if the motor is shut off and they're drifting is that not manual power

Old 10-05-2020, 08:05 AM

Quote:

It depends, if the forward motion was caused by the motor running, and they cut the engine to take the shot, then no.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It depends, if the forward motion was caused by the motor running, and they cut the engine to take the shot, then no.
That's what I had in my other post all forward momentum must be stopped don't believe you have to be anchored if your motor is not running and there's no forward momentum

Old 10-05-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
That's what I had in my other post all forward momentum must be stopped don't believe you have to be anchored if your motor is not running and there's no forward momentum

I would interpret the regs. as if the boat has a motor it needs to be at anchor before you are allowed to shoot from it. But it is a grey area for sure.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:39 AM

Default Does F&G

This is just another reason that I can’t stomach these hunting shows. They just make you want to gag.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:

No.

From the regs:
It is unlawful to....
"have a loaded firearm (live ammunition in breech, chamber or magazine) in or on, or discharge a weapon from a boat unless the boat is propelled by muscular power or is at anchor and the person is hunting".

Sorry, but he wasn't even allowed to put rounds in the magazine without dropping anchor.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
No oars out, no anchor out, motor on the back.
He broke the law.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:

But the boat would still have to be anchored to legally load the firearm, unless someone started rowing.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:34 PM

That guy has to be the biggest tool I've ever seen involved in a hunting show.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:27 PM

Default Does f&g watch

Like I said before. Makes you want to gag. I feel sorry for the poor guide that has to put up with these clowns. This Shane guy is a piece of work. What a goof! Always whining about something. Too cold, the wolves are going to get him, he has to defend his poor guide, equipment malfunctions....on and on. I guy like that would last in my camp about one day. Funny how he keeps belly aching about the weather. Lake doesn’t even have ice on it, and he’s too cold. Can’t imagine how much crying and complaining he does off camera. I’ll bet he was a lot of help when that moose was on the ground. What a “hunter”......
Old 10-05-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Like I said before. Makes you want to gag. I feel sorry for the poor guide that has to put up with these clowns. This Shane guy is a piece of work. What a goof! Always whining about something. Too cold, the wolves are going to get him, he has to defend his poor guide, equipment malfunctions....on and on. I guy like that would last in my camp about one day. Funny how he keeps belly aching about the weather. Lake doesn’t even have ice on it, and he’s too cold. Can’t imagine how much crying and complaining he does off camera. I’ll bet he was a lot of help when that moose was on the ground. What a “hunter”......
Absolutely agree. Exactly the kind of guy that gives hunters.bad name. He should NEVER be allowed on T,V,
Old 10-05-2020, 04:44 PM

Has anyone contacted F&W?