Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 AM

Default Alberta antelope

Been a ten year wait, looking to pull a tag this coming season.
How have the Antelope herds done this winter? I believe it's been mild in the South? I'm looking at South East corner.
Any input if you hunted in the last two seasons would sure be appreciated.
Thanks
FCE
Old 03-10-2017, 05:17 AM

Default I'm hoping to get drawn on a twelve.

I know six guys that went last year drawn in two diferent areas and only
One was a real good one the rest were average.
They said they seen their share but a lot of them were young bucks.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:30 AM

It's too early to know for sure what this year will be like....gotta wait until the snows stop, then we'll know.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:27 AM

From what I have seen the herds are doing fine. Like the other fella said you will see a lot of average bucks. I'm a p14 this year and I not going to try to draw as I am going to wait another year or two.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:18 AM

I was drawn last year in that area . Hunted hard but never sealed the deal on an antelope. Could have shot 12-13 inches but was being more selective.Get in shape for walking and be prepared for long range shooting possibilities.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:20 AM

I will be drawing archery antelope in the 150s lot more and bigger from what i saw
Old 03-10-2017, 07:27 AM
Banned

No matter the year or population, there are a handful of good ones around. Always a needle in a haystack. Enjoy your last trophy antelope hunt in this province. Value the experience, not the horn length.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:55 AM

I drive back and forth from North Dakota , I travel a lot of the time up through Montana and I see a herd or two every time I come home.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:11 AM

I am P-14 and am planning on drawing myself. I normally hunt the 150.151,152 wmus, but the area I choose will depend if the Buffalo Atlee grazing lease is going to be open to hunting this year.My two hunting partners have never hunted pronghorn, so the priority will be getting them bucks, as none of us will ever draw tags in Alberta again.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:34 AM

Two years a go Alpine Guy and I did the "Old Time Antelope Hunt' using a team of horses, covered wagon for a week. We were both p11 and the probability of me getting another tag is next to none, cant speak for Ken. Our plan was to make the hunt a memorial one, doing things the old way. It was not about the biggest antelope but instead it was being one on one with A antelope, in thousands of acres of land, of which no one else had permission to hunt. So I guess I am suggesting , anyone getting up in age and high priority, PLAN your hunt to be the best, most exciting experience you can. Alberta does not have that many 'trophy' animals, but does have the land mass to ensure a hunt of a lifetime, provided you do your part planning well in advance.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:04 AM

Default Nice

That sounded like a real fine hunt, and great advice.
South East must be snow free by now, no?
Old 03-10-2017, 11:18 AM

No had two good snowfalls in last week.. so have maybe 9 inches on ground, but that will be gone next Wed. as forecast for 18c, but that also means wind.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Been a ten year wait, looking to pull a tag this coming season.
How have the Antelope herds done this winter? I believe it's been mild in the South? I'm looking at South East corner.
Any input if you hunted in the last two seasons would sure be appreciated.
Thanks
FCE
I wouldn't waste my priority on that zone if you want a good buck, you will be disappointed. Lots of snow down here right now as well.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
Two years a go Alpine Guy and I did the "Old Time Antelope Hunt' using a team of horses, covered wagon for a week. We were both p11 and the probability of me getting another tag is next to none, cant speak for Ken. Our plan was to make the hunt a memorial one, doing things the old way. It was not about the biggest antelope but instead it was being one on one with A antelope, in thousands of acres of land, of which no one else had permission to hunt. So I guess I am suggesting , anyone getting up in age and high priority, PLAN your hunt to be the best, most exciting experience you can. Alberta does not have that many 'trophy' animals, but does have the land mass to ensure a hunt of a lifetime, provided you do your part planning well in advance.
How did you make out? What did the antelope think of the horses?

I shot my first antelope last fall. I think it's pretty good one and I'll try and post pics and score later. My friend and guide also had a tag so we continued to hunt for a couple more days and didn't see a better one.

Gerry Burnie
Old 03-10-2017, 09:21 PM

We got our 2 Antelope, we used pack horse to retrieve, and had no problem with the horses and lopes... smear blood on the horses nose right away, and horse will accept the dead animal in most instances. Seems like its the blood smell that excites some horses. Alpineguy drove his team and I rode saddle horse in to hunting/camp area.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
That was an awesome experience for sure. Remember the really windy night and the air rushing in the floor boards of the wagon? Made it a bit tougher for sleeping but wouldn't trade it for any other type of antelope hunt.
here is the link to the thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=234102
Old 03-11-2017, 11:36 AM

i got a 13 inch antelope down there last season. There were decent numbers like that. I saw a much bigger buck, but he gave me the slip. Opening morning, and had my last antelope I'll ever get in Alberta. Kind of bittersweet, after a lifetime of hunting them. By far one of my favorite animals to hunt.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
That was an awesome experience for sure. Remember the really windy night and the air rushing in the floor boards of the wagon? Made it a bit tougher for sleeping but wouldn't trade it for any other type of antelope hunt.
here is the link to the thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=234102
I remember being so intrigued as a kid about Antelope. The stories i read in the old Outdoor life showing pics of the Hunters staying on the prairies in their wall tents.
Then your thread back in 2014 brought that back to light Ken. The Hunt is about Good people and the Memories made on the Hunt.
For me its not about having to bring home a B&C Animal , its more about sharing the adventure especially with those who are on their first hunt and the excitement behind it.
This year i hope to do that all over again with my two Oldest sons . With any Luck we will capture it on the video camera and relive those Adventures all over again as we gather in the Man cave with friends and Family.
Good luck to everyone else this fall and cross your fingers that your draw tag comes true...

Last edited by Springer; 03-11-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:27 PM

3 of us hunted down there last fall. First antelope hunt for any of us. Saw more than enough to keep us interested. Seemed like the numbers got better the further west we went. I don't think we saw any real trophys but we were happy with the ones we got. They are hard to judge when you have never really seen antelope before.
Saw some real interesting country, easy permission and access and lots of fun with the birds we don't have up north.
Looking forward to going again some day.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Rookie question and kind of off topic. How come it seems like a lot of you guys are saying it will be your last antelope hunt? Is it an age thing or are they going to remove the antelope draw?
Old 03-11-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson View Post
Rookie question and kind of off topic. How come it seems like a lot of you guys are saying it will be your last antelope hunt? Is it an age thing or are they going to remove the antelope draw?

I think it's due to the number of years it takes to draw a tag.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I remember being so intrigued as a kid about Antelope. The stories i read in the old Outdoor life showing pics of the Hunters staying on the prairies in their wall tents.
Then your thread back in 2014 brought that back to light Ken. The Hunt is about Good people and the Memories made on the Hunt.
For me its not about having to bring home a B&C Animal , its more about sharing the adventure especially with those who are on their first hunt and the excitement behind it.
This year i hope to do that all over again with my two Oldest sons . With any Luck we will capture it on the video camera and relive those Adventures all over again as we gather in the Man cave with friends and Family.
Good luck to everyone else this fall and cross your fingers that your draw tag comes true...

Springer, now I know how Greg and Austin managed to luck out!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlson View Post
I am 56, and if I ever draw another tag, I will likely be at least closing in on 80. The number of applicants in the draw keeps increasing, and a single bad winter for the pronghorn , can add several years to the wait time. If you have zero priority points, I would expect at least 20 years of applying to draw a tag, and with a couple of harsh winters, that could easily be 30 or 40 years.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:15 PM

Getting on in years, and with a priority 10, I should have one more chance at an Alberta antelope in a year or 2.
Then I'll just have to endure watching TV hunting shows of non-residents coming out for their annual outfitted hunts.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:08 PM

I'm 68 and priority Trophy 8 and Non Trophy 5. So I'd like to have a chance to do an early fall non trophy hunt with my grandson this fall, I know not likely but you never know. Then do a Trophy hunt in 5 or 6 years with a granddaughter.

The age thing is why these maybe my last Alberta Antelope hunts.

I like Alberta Antelope hunt for a variety of reason, but the late Sept. hunts have been great, decent weather, lots of birds, etc. and a reasonable cost as we can use my trailer etc.

As other have said most ranchers will let you on the land, and really the size of the animal harvested is immaterial to me.

I did look into a guided Wyoming hunt for this fall, but it got be over $4000 Can. for three full days of hunting, so maybe a self guided Wyoming on Public land or with Trespass fees, done out of Motels will be in the future.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Springer, now I know how Greg and Austin managed to luck out!
Old 03-12-2017, 04:12 AM

Ya Finger Shooter , There's no finer Gentlemen and Outdoorsman than the Peet Family. They tip over Crankers every year and you wont see a stitch on any social media.. Nothing but respect for them. Your Obviously a BC Boy as well. Now if I could get them hooked on Turkeys so they could line up a Hunt but 'interest in the small game for them. Greg took a Great Dall Ram from BC last year as well.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Ya Finger Shooter , There's no finer Gentlemen and Outdoorsman than the Peet Family. They tip over Crankers every year and you wont see a stitch on any social media.. Nothing but respect for them. Your Obviously a BC Boy as well. Now if I could get them hooked on Turkeys so they could line up a Hunt but 'interest in the small game for them. Greg took a Great Dall Ram from BC last year as well.
Known them since our kids were in day care. You are right on the crankers. They are a prolific and successful family. They got turkeys in their front yard for God's sake!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:13 PM

Default elk hunt bothering the archery season

Just a quick question. Does the elk hunt around the base bother the people out for the archery season on antelope?
Old 09-05-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Two years a go Alpine Guy and I did the "Old Time Antelope Hunt' using a team of horses, covered wagon for a week.
I still remember this thread. You made your hunt iconic. It keeps me applying even though I'm not sure I'll ever climb the ranks with a meager P5.