Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-19-2014, 02:22 PM

Default JP Sauer & Sohn Model 90 300 Win Mag

I am interested in buying a Sauer Model 90 in 300 Win Mag. The problem is that I have never fired a 300 Win Mag before. I have always hunted with a Sauer 90 in 270 calibre. I love the rifle and would very much like to keep the same make and model no, How does the recoil in the Sauer model 90 compare to other makes in 300 Win Mag ?. If it is anybody out there with any advice I would very much appreciate it.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 PM

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

The felt recoil can vary mostly based on rifle weight, the recoil pad and the associated geometry with the drop in the comb on the stock.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:21 PM

A good recoil pad (e.g. Limbsaver) can make a big difference!
Muzzle brakes can really reduce recoil, too, but the noise can cause permanent hearing damage, even after only one shot. Therefore, I would NOT recommend going that route.
Good luck
Hawked
Old 02-19-2014, 06:18 PM

I had a .338 Win Mag with a muzzle brake installed and the brake turned into a *****cat, but I never shot it without hearing protection. It felt lighter recoiling than my heavy barrel .308.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I had a .338 Win Mag with a muzzle brake installed and the brake turned into a *****cat, but I never shot it without hearing protection. It felt lighter recoiling than my heavy barrel .308.
I like the fact that I can call my own hits and the critter never leaves the scope if I have any type of rest at all
Old 02-19-2014, 07:50 PM

Default Mule

I have a sauer 202xt in 300 winmag. It kicks like a mule and you can feel it for the first few rounds, but after a few, I got used to it. I have No muzzle break, no larger recoil pads. Personally, I love the feeling and the rifle is top notch as you know.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:23 PM

Talking

I have a Winchester Model 70 XTR Sporter Magnum in 300 winchester magnum and I have been shooting it for 28 years. Felt recoil is subjective and people do feel it differently. As has already been stated rifle wieght and stock design do figure into the equation. Having said that the recoil in 300 Winchester magnum would be more than a 270 winchester. There are numerous threads on this. Personally in a hunting situation the recoil from my rifle has never bothered me. However, I would not want to be target shooting with it all day. Just my two cents.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:46 PM

I own a Sauer 90 in .300 Win Mag and the recoil surely hits harder than a .270 but no worse than any other .300 Win Mag I've tried.

You could always install a limbsaver and/or muzzle brake to dampen the recoil or shoot mild loads with it.

If the price is good, I wouldn't pass up on it.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:39 AM

Default Sauer mod.90

Thanks for the imput guys. Greatly appreciated.
Chris B