Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-16-2022, 09:41 AM

Default Update on Federal OIC on "assault style" Weapons

Apparently in todays Gazette the govt (AGC) has made public an extension to the amnesty program (SOR/2020-97) that was slated to expired in a little over a month.
The new date for the amnesty period ending is October 30, 2023 !

A small but potentially useful victory if the Liberals can be voted out !

Here is the link if you care to confirm for yourselves:

https://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2...ors45-eng.html
Old 03-16-2022, 10:34 AM

Good news!
Old 03-16-2022, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3PO View Post
A small but potentially useful victory if the Liberals can be voted out!
Absolutely!
Old 03-16-2022, 11:02 AM

BREAKING 🚨

In the face of our injunction application, the government has extended the gun ban amnesty until October 30, 2023.

Excerpt from Canada Gazette Part II, Vol. 156, No. 6 Published 16 March 2022.

Page 871 (or page 180 of PDF):

"The Government of Canada has committed to affording owners an opportunity to participate in a mandatory buyback program or to deactivate their affected firearms at Government expense. The amendments would extend the current amnesty for a period of 18 months, until October 30, 2023, to provide affected owners further time to come into compliance with the law.

The Amnesty Order has been amended to address the identified issues and has been extended for a period of 18 months, to October 30, 2023, to allow affected owners further time to come into compliance with the law."

Relevant pages of PDF are 172 - 187 (Numbered 863 - 878 in document).
Old 03-16-2022, 11:04 AM

all they did was delay to get their collective act together
this means nothing in the grand scheme of things
Old 03-16-2022, 11:28 AM

Agree. This is basically an admission that they still have no clue how to execute the buyback program, and they are probably realizing that it is going to cost 10x what they advertised because they never include administration costs. They are giving themselves more time to try and keep the whole thing from going sideways, as it *will*. This has nothing to do with throwing a bone to gun owners.

One interesting point in the announcement is the reference to BofC security being exempted from the prohibition, because the assault style weapons are deemed suitable for defense when the application is a Bank. They just aren't suitable for defending gun owners apparently. This point is going to be made in front of Judges in our s74 reference hearings, count on it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-16-2022, 11:53 AM

It's almost as if there was no plan whatsoever on May 1, 2020, when the OIC was announced, other than the news soundbite they got for a few days.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:03 PM

I asked my MP to ask Mendocino/Trudeau if a proper gender analysis has been done on the ban and buyback scheme. Because, diversity and inclusion, right? Need to make sure it doesn't adversely effect any marginalized or visible minority.

That should add another year or two on to the amnesty right there, while they make a 2000 page report at a cost of $15M. If they can do it for pipelines, they can do it for guns, Amirite?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-16-2022, 01:16 PM

Extending the amnesty is exactly what I thought the libs would do. I wouldn’t be surprised if Oct 30 of next year it is extended again as everyone knows the libs only talk the talk and never actually do anything.
Old 03-16-2022, 01:35 PM

So why do you need an"assault style" Weapon ?

Forgive me but ,are these rife for shooting people ?

If so ,it kind of sounds like a person buying one is planning to go shoot some one !
Old 03-16-2022, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post

If so ,it kind of sounds like a person buying one is planning to go shoot some one !
They are commonly referred to as patrol carbines in the hands of leo
Old 03-16-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:

Is that a serious post, or were you being sarcastic? I honestly can't tell.

Old 03-16-2022, 02:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Is that a serious post, or were you being sarcastic? I honestly can't tell.
I was wondering the same thing. My post wasn’t as polite so I just left it alone…
Old 03-16-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Old 03-16-2022, 05:03 PM

Quote:

Before they were restricted I knew lots of guys who used ARs for hunting g coyotes and gophers. And in an AR10 or similar chassis there are lots of options for deer, etc. They are no different than a semi auto wood stocked Remington. Ruger or Winchester as far as I am concerned, except they are black
There are / were lots of 3 gun matches around , as well as long range shooting and hunting with bolt action rifles in cartridges that are now prohibited as well.
I haven't in the past , don't now and likely never will one a semi auto rifle but far be it for me to disparaged anyone who does want one, or the rifles themselves for that matter . It has nothing to do with wanting g to kill so eone.
I have a cousin who used to hunt with an FN before they were prohibited .
Cat
Old 03-16-2022, 05:14 PM

“Assault Rifle” is a really stupid name for these rifles. They are black semi auto. Assault weapons are full auto which have been prohibited for a long time.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:18 PM

If outdoorsmen and gun owners can be so misinformed about semi automatic, modern sporting rifles, it is no wonder the non shooting/non gun owning public is so easily hoodwinked about them by the deliberate misrepresentation. Propaganda works.

Old 03-16-2022, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Liberals, and possibly yourself included, refer to them as assault style.
The rest of us law abiding citizens call them sporting rifles.
You should spent some time educating yourself before before submitting such a stupid comment.
Unless of course, you are just making a joke, if so, well then LOL.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:

By that logic why where the queens horsemen packing them while beating up peaceful protesters in Ottawa? The only purpose for these types are for killing the maximum amount of peaceful protesters in the minimum amount of time......
I guess they needed to make certain if running old ladies over with heavy horses wasnt going to work they needed a plan B.

I'd say based on fact only one or maybe two of the how many millions of "assult rifle" owners in the whole history of canadian gun ownership have one with the intent on killing someone with it....this is based on fact not liberal logic..
According to my google search more canadians are killed by pencils every year than AR15s.....
Old 03-16-2022, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Well there are hundreds of thousands of these 'assault style people killer weapons' in the hands of Canadian citizens. If they are buying them to kill people they are not very good at it. But, if I were you and bought into the fear mongering about these guns I'd be very scared, these guns are just waiting to jump out of gun safes all across the nation, someone on your street has one or many of them, I'd be afraid to leave the house if I were you.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Have you ever shot targets with one of these??? Clearly not or you wouldn't ask the question, even in jest.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 03-17-2022, 06:16 AM

The correctness, or evident lack thereof, of the original OIC notwithstanding, this change confirms what we already knew... that our sainted Prime Minister loves big, virtue signalling pronouncements, but when it comes to actually enacting anything is an ineffectual buffoon.

(Thank You Captain Obvious)

If only the Canadian electorate actually paid attention
Old 03-17-2022, 06:50 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:

Following Liberal logic( use that term loosely), this post is also "rife" with ignorance.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Why do you ask? Are you planning to go shoot someone?
If hundreds of thousands of people own them and don't go out and shoot people, what does that tell you?
Old 03-17-2022, 10:10 AM

Bumbling billy and crew have extended the amnesty until oct 2023 what’s up with that ??
Waiting for an election ??
Old 03-17-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Bumbling billy and crew have extended the amnesty until oct 2023 what’s up with that ??
Waiting for an election ??
They have no plan and no resources to do a buyback or confiscation, so they can't let the amnesty expire. It will highlight their incompetence. So they extend the amnesty and say it is to give those affected gun owners more time to come in to compliance. Because it's apparently our fault they couldn't organize a two car parade.

Not that I'm complaining about the extension as far as that goes. I just find it laughable how they made that big virtue signal gesture to get all these baby killing assault style militarized rifles 'off the street' because no Canadian needs anything that dangerous.

But, you can hang on to them for another 3 and a half years or longer, while we figure out how to do this. So obviously it has nothing to do with public safety.

Old 03-17-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
They have no plan and no resources to do a buyback or confiscation, so they can't let the amnesty expire. It will highlight their incompetence. So they extend the amnesty and say it is to give those affected gun owners more time to come in to compliance. Because it's apparently our fault they couldn't organize a two car parade.

Not that I'm complaining about the extension as far as that goes. I just find it laughable how they made that big virtue signal gesture to get all these baby killing assault style militarized rifles 'off the street' because no Canadian needs anything that dangerous.

But, you can hang on to them for another 3 and a half years or longer, while we figure out how to do this. So obviously it has nothing to do with public safety.
Exactly. Extending this allows at least another year and a half of spouting off about it while not doing anything about it. Typical liberal MO.
It does however, prevent the legal sales of newly prohibited firearms without having to change or introduce any actual "laws".
Old 03-17-2022, 01:43 PM

anyone want to bet me that as of October 2023 the liberals have done sweet eff all and the amnesty gets extended again. It hasn’t cost them a cent and all the legal firearm owners have their now prohibited modern sporting rifles safely locked up never to be used again.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
anyone want to bet me that as of October 2023 the liberals have done sweet eff all and the amnesty gets extended again. It hasn’t cost them a cent and all the legal firearm owners have their now prohibited modern sporting rifles safely locked up never to be used again.
AND the libs will never have to institute a buy back program, though they can say they will "fairly compensate firearm owners".
Old 03-17-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
AND the libs will never have to institute a buy back program, though they can say they will "fairly compensate firearm owners".
I hope gun owners who turn in their firearms willingly get nothing by way of compensation.

There should be no buy back program. Not a dime.

That way, some.of our more "pussified" gun owners might not be so apt to comply.

Money buys people, principles, and power. Dont be a paid beotch of Justin and Bill's.......