Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2015, 09:23 AM

Exclamation Gun Auction in Calgary Dec 05 2015

Found this on Calgary Kijiji. For the guy who buys his own Christmas Gift.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-othe...ationFlag=true

http://www.canadianpublicauction.com...stings/?aid=72

December 05 2015

Sportsman and Gun auction. Will have an excellent selection available. Quads, Snowmobiles, Side-by-sides, Ice fishing shacks, fishing supplies and Rods, Tactical Knives and Guns, Collectible and Commemorative Knives, New Cobra Golf Clubs and much more!

Auction starts at 10am, viewing Friday 8am - 5pm.

9320 52nd St SE Calgary, AB

To view our full listings, check out our website at www.canadianpublicauction.com. For more information, call Cody at 403.852.8721
Old 12-01-2015, 09:54 AM

Nearly didn't make it through the first 5 pages of epitome of bad taste crapola before hitting the firearms. I guess if weren't for bad taste, there wouldn't be good taste.......
Old 12-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Yeup ... there's a lot of crapola on the first five pages

Interesting to note that a lot of those firearms (page 6+) are described as; 'New Unused'! Sadly, I got all the way to page 15, but still didn't see anything I was interested in.

Mac
Old 12-01-2015, 03:03 PM

Nobody saw the search function on the right side of the page?

Sigh. If I only had spare cash...

J.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:42 PM

You wonder who buys the junk on the first pages, I sure don't see it at anyone's place I ever get to, and in the plumbing service business I get nearly everywhere. It would explain how the velvet Elvis vendors manage to feed themselves though....

As far as the firearms go there were some reasonable items, I wonder what some of those Sig pistols will fetch; will they be a deal or go for above retail like I hear happens so frequently when bidders forget about the buyers premiums....
Old 12-01-2015, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:18 PM

Default Followed it on line

Oddly enough all that junk (dust collectors my wife would call them) sold. some of those plaques with pictures, sculptures of animals and a knife (wolf, bear, fish etc) went for $60.
here is the rub although I haven't sold guns for several years at WSS I think the cheaper firearms Savage Axis in 223 and 22-250 sold for more than retail at $450 ish. Add GST, 10 % handling charge and maybe a 2% internet purchase service charge and these rifles are going to cost them well over $500 for a $359 rifle. All kinds of basic Mossberg shotguns sold for over $500.
Higher end stuff I was watching was a Weatherby Mark V in 257 (advertised as a complete long range rifle) with Leupold VARiX 3 8-25 scope (20 years old) and 50 reloads. Auctioneer claimed the rifle alone was worth $2500 at Cabelas yesterday. It went for $2400 plus buyers premium of 250. GST of $125. Didnt see a deal there either.

Another one I was watching was Beretta Silver Pigeon 686 12 gauge which the auctioneer claimed was their premium shotgun of the auction as it had a worked silver receiver?? A few years ago at WSS they were $1800. Buyer today paid $2000 plus $200 buyers premium and $100 GST.

Last and not least a Beretta Extrema ll Unico (discription didnt say with or without kickoff) but it loked to have it went for $1800 (retail) plus $180 buyers premium and $90 GST.

Some guy bought 20 boxes of Remington 12 gauge Hunt club 7.5 target loads for $15 each plus buyers premium and GST. think they are worth about $7 a box.

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 12-05-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:47 PM

The second biggest joke besides the shotgun shells at the auction was the price people were paying for Winchester .22lr in 333 bulk packs. Anywhere from $30 to $37.50 plus 10% premium. What are they thinking?
Old 12-05-2015, 06:58 PM

Default You are right mike

Forgot about the 333 packs but you are right 27.50 to 37.50 for those and guys were stocking up on them 4 to 10 at a time!
Old 12-07-2015, 09:29 AM

Default monumental waste of time

I could not believe what a waste of a day this auction was. I tagged along with a buddy who is quite the avid auction-goer, and even he couldn't believe how poorly run the thing was. The auctioneers spent way too much time 'working' the crowd instead of just selling stuff off. Lots of the items you could tell they were trying to squeeze every dime out as they would continue scanning the room for 30 - 40 seconds after the last hands went up.

As some of the posts said above, people had either way too much money, or didn't do any research. The majority of firearm related items went for or above retail. Sections of the crowd actually laughed out loud when the guy bought the target load for $15.00, not the first - but the second time.
Old 12-07-2015, 12:08 PM

What about the zombie targets that went for 15 I think for 1 full size and 1 small poster
Old 12-07-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
The auctioneers spent way too much time 'working' the crowd instead of just selling stuff off. Lots of the items you could tell they were trying to squeeze every dime out as they would continue scanning the room for 30 - 40 seconds after the last hands went up.
If you're working on commission...you'd do it too, I have been on both sides of an auction when this happens, sometimes it's just unavoidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinkle View Post
As some of the posts said above, people had either way too much money, or didn't do any research. The majority of firearm related items went for or above retail.
I have watched this occur at every gun auction I have been to in the last year. Absolutely boggles my mind, especially when I'll wait for a gun to go on sale for even a $50 savings rather than purchase it right away.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:12 PM

These auctions reinforce how good some of the local gun shows are for finding deals