Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-05-2011, 07:37 PM

Thumbs up ABA Members

Just curious to see how many ABA members we have on here, and what your thoughts are on the organization. Looks like the banquete this year is going to be in Calgary, it should be a good time as usual!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 PM

13 year member

A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider...a caretaker...a leader.
I will never make excuses for who I am... It's the way I was born... I'm a
hunter... A BONE COLLECTOR!!!"
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM

I will be seein you there,hopefully you will capture gold with your awesome archery whitetail this year.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 PM

member here, as well as ATBA

Pete
Old 12-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Banned

im a member. im not sure i agree on a lot of what the official stance is on a few topics, but i still agree on enough to continue to be a member. my biggest beef is likely with the newsletters and magazine. hire an editor that knows english already. its hard to be taken seriously or thought of as professional with so many blatant spelling and grammar errors in the publications.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:33 PM

I have been a member for a couple of years now.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
im a member. im not sure i agree on a lot of what the official stance is on a few topics, but i still agree on enough to continue to be a member. my biggest beef is likely with the newsletters and magazine. hire an editor that knows english already. its hard to be taken seriously or thought of as professional with so many blatant spelling and grammar errors in the publications.
You realize newsletter editor is a volunteer position, right?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDraw View Post
You realize newsletter editor is a volunteer position, right?
yes i do....and i stand by the comment. its tough to be taken seriously or look professional with so many blatant spelling and grammar errors. it looks like it was written at about the grade 5 level. for the average guy wrting a letter to home or even most members of this forum, these things arent all that important......but as a group trying to represent themselves in a professional manner it is pretty weak.

before you jump at me with something like "lets see you do better" or something along those lines......if i lived in calgary, i would gladly volunteer to do it myself. being where i am its not an option. there has to be someone who has some english skills in that group in calgary. if not, pay someone to do it.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
yes i do....and i stand by the comment. its tough to be taken seriously or look professional with so many blatant spelling and grammar errors. it looks like it was written at about the grade 5 level. for the average guy wrting a letter to home or even most members of this forum, these things arent all that important......but as a group trying to represent themselves in a professional manner it is pretty weak.

before you jump at me with something like "lets see you do better" or something along those lines......if i lived in calgary, i would gladly volunteer to do it myself. being where i am its not an option. there has to be someone who has some english skills in that group in calgary. if not, pay someone to do it.
You don't need to be in Calgary to proof-read and help out. It can be done from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson340 View Post
Just curious to see how many ABA members we have on here, and what your thoughts are on the organization. Looks like the banquete this year is going to be in Calgary, it should be a good time as usual!
I'm a member
Old 12-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Sounds like someone complaining and then woosin' out on the improvement side.... choosing to outline a problem instead of being part of a solution...

Constructive criticism is only consturctive if YOU choose to do something constructive about it, I see you have internet connection as you can post on here, so assume you have email, so until you want to step up and help out then be glad there is a newsletter, besides the newsletter is targeted for members.

Yes I am a proud member, of this great organisation. we have unparrallelled archery opportunities in Alberta.

The last banquets have been awesome and I hope to be able to make the Calgary one as well. At the last banquet my 8 year old camehome with a great bag of goodies that he is still smiling about.

Great organisation with great volunteers.... Thanks for stepping up guys and doing what you do for us and our future.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

ok, if it can be done electronically, then i offer my services. i know there are ABA execs here. if you want an improvement to the publications, i am pretty good with spelling and grammar and would gladly volunteer to look after proofreading and editing before things go to print. i promise to even use the shift key to begin sentences.....

ill need deatails too....it looks to me like the problem is currently the writers, but the printers had better be able to get it right once its sent slong. maybe they are part of the problem?.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Sounds like someone complaining and then woosin' out on the improvement side.... choosing to outline a problem instead of being part of a solution...

Constructive criticism is only consturctive if YOU choose to do something constructive about it, I see you have internet connection as you can post on here, so assume you have email, so until you want to step up and help out then be glad there is a newsletter, besides the newsletter is targeted for members.

i guarantee you have absolutely no clue who you are talking too. i promise that i have spent far more time volunteering my services energy and dollars toward conservation groups than the average dude. you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 PM

I just said that is what it sounded like, with your offer of assistance I can see that I am happily mistaken.

Thank You and Good Luck, I hope your offer is taken up by the ABA and you get your shift key working again!...

Cheers!

Quote:
ok, if it can be done electronically, then i offer my services. i know there are ABA execs here. if you want an improvement to the publications, i am pretty good with spelling and grammar and would gladly volunteer to look after proofreading and editing before things go to print. i promise to even use the shift key to begin sentences.....

ill need deatails too....it looks to me like the problem is currently the writers, but the printers had better be able to get it right once its sent slong. maybe they are part of the problem?.....

i guarantee you have absolutely no clue who you are talking too. i promise that i have spent far more time volunteering my services energy and dollars toward conservation groups than the average dude. you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

ok, i have just sent an email to brent watson via the ABA website with my offer as well. between here and there the message has been sent. if they are open to me helping i will, but if they choose not to accept, thats fine too. after all, nobody there actually knows me and to them i am just another member.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM

I am sure your offer of help will be entertained!...
Old 12-06-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
ok, i have just sent an email to brent watson via the ABA website with my offer as well. between here and there the message has been sent. if they are open to me helping i will, but if they choose not to accept, thats fine too. after all, nobody there actually knows me and to them i am just another member.
PM sent.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
I will be seein you there,hopefully you will capture gold with your awesome archery whitetail this year.
hopefully me and you get in there, i dont know, i heard ryan kohler shot a 160 inch net white-tail.......anyone know about that?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Banned

so i guess im in. looks as though i will be part of the team that proof-reads and edits the articles before going to print. i hope i can be a part of the solution in making the publications a little better. looking forward to getting involved.

dale
Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
so i guess im in. looks as though i will be part of the team that proof-reads and edits the articles before going to print. i hope i can be a part of the solution in making the publications a little better. looking forward to getting involved.

dale
thats awesome, congrats. If they accept my pictures and story for the next news letter you can proof read the s*#t out of that cause i cant write better then a 5th grader.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM

when is the banquette this year anyways?
Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 PM

March 31st in calgary I believe.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM

yep, just seen it here in the news letter, march 31st, thanks.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 PM

Just signed up a year ago, but so far enjoy the newsletter and being part of an organization that stands up for the bow hunting community, what we stand for and don't even mind the spelling mistakes!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 PM

How does one support this group? Website??

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckBrat View Post
How does one support this group? Website??
website is the direct route...

http://www.bowhunters.ca/

but most join the ABA through membership in a local club that is affiliated. in medicine hat, that is the medicine hat saamis archers. there is a list of affiliated clubs on the ABA website. you will find the nearest local club for you on that list.

and an update on my new involvement. tonight i went through a small mountain of material and did my best to tidy things up. i will run a do-over tomorrow and hopefully the coming newsletter will be error free. if not, at least guys here will know where to direct the flak....
Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 AM

Quote:

Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Banned

^^^ hey, i said my spelling and grammar is good......my typing....not so much...
Old 12-09-2011, 09:08 AM

Default member

I've been a member for about 20 years and I’m currently the vise-president.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:

dale
Welcome aboard Dale, glad you can help out.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 AM

Looking forward to the banquet this year as well. I think I have bought tickets to the last three banquets and missed every one for one reason or another. Not this year. I WILL be there.