Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-26-2018, 07:07 PM

Default Guides asking for land access

I have a question about guides asking for land access. By law are they supposed to disclose to landowner that they are guiding when they ask for land permission?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
I have a question about guides asking for land access. By law are they supposed to disclose to landowner that they are guiding when they ask for land permission?
If they plan on taking clients on the land they are required to have written permission.

Sometimes guides like to hunt when they’re not guiding.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:44 PM

Default Guides asking for land access

Yes, as a guide you need to specify that when gaining permission. You also need to keep a written record of your permissions.
Doesnt need to be written from the landowner, Just a ledger of your permission with needed info contained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2018, 07:58 PM

Yes . Need to advise landowner and have contact name and number of landowner with them
Old 09-26-2018, 08:04 PM

So if they do not disclose that they are guiding to landowner what can they be charged with? I’ve had this happen to me more than once by more than one guide. Getting quite tired of the dishonesty.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:18 PM

If you give permission to "one guy" and find out he's guiding clients on your land, kick him off. As well, let all the other landowners in the area know in case he comes knocking on their door or they have already given him permission as well.....
Old 09-26-2018, 08:30 PM

Few years ago I met the local guide with hunter on my uncles land hunting. Just to keep them honest I called my uncle to verify that he had permission to guide clients on his land. Turned out the guide asked for permission for him and his young son to hunt. Lol. Then he’s out there caught with a client. No wonder some people don’t want “guides” on their land. Honesty goes along way. So does bulchit.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned

The neighbors are peeved with pure instinct outdoors. Seems they pulled the same act.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
So if they do not disclose that they are guiding to landowner what can they be charged with? I’ve had this happen to me more than once by more than one guide. Getting quite tired of the dishonesty.
Same experience here too
Old 09-26-2018, 08:47 PM

Obviously the clients don’t have your permission to access your property. Technically that’s poaching/trespassing and would make the guide look pretty f’in stupid if you or a CO called him out in front of the client.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
The neighbors are peeved with pure instinct outdoors. Seems they pulled the same act.
Whatever it takes to make a show!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Whatever it takes to make a show!
I've never watched it but the locals aren't to happy having them around.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowburn View Post
Obviously the clients don’t have your permission to access your property. Technically that’s poaching/trespassing and would make the guide look pretty f’in stupid if you or a CO called him out in front of the client.
I doubt that the clients would be impressed if if the landowner drove up to the setup, then informed the clients that the outfitter did not have permission for them to be there. Perhaps that would teach the guides to be more honest when asking for permission?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I doubt that the clients would be impressed if if the landowner drove up to the setup, then informed the clients that the outfitter did not have permission for them to be there. Perhaps that would teach the guides to be more honest when asking for permission?
It's not always the guides that need to be more honest.

A few years back an outfitter I worked for was guiding two hunters himself and a landowner I also know did drive up to the his clients, reamed them out and kicked them off. The outfitter somehow weaseled his way out of the landowner calling the hotline. His clients were choked.

And when I was guiding for that outfitter I did have guiding permissions and friendships on farms that produced great bucks. The outfitter saw the deer those properties produced and so he went to those landowners for his own permissions...while I was guiding on those lands for his clients. And he knew I was guiding on those properties. The landowners did not give the outfitter permission. That outfitter turned me off of guiding and the whole industry. Karma will catch up to him eventually.

Guides and outfitters alike need to develop friendships with landowners. It is a privilege to manage the animals along side with the landowners.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 09-26-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:52 PM

An outfitter tried that with the wrong landowner in the Oyen area a few years ago and the landowner drove out and ran over half of the decoys before getting out of his truck and told them to clean up the mess and get.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I've never watched it but the locals aren't to happy having them around.

Was the younger brother hunting for his teeth?
Old 09-27-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

And when I was guiding for that outfitter I did have guiding permissions and friendships on farms that produced great bucks. The outfitter saw the deer those properties produced and so he went to those landowners for his own permissions...while I was guiding on those lands for his clients. And he knew I was guiding on those properties. The landowners did not give the outfitter permission. That outfitter turned me off of guiding and the whole industry. Karma will catch up to him eventually.

Guides and outfitters alike need to develop friendships with landowners. It is a privilege to manage the animals along side with the landowners.
That sucks,I’d be choked!!
That is a concern of mine as a guide as well.As it is,I guide moose and bears for an Outfitter on Crown land in the far north.....I’m in “his territory” and that’s fine,and I would never hunt or guide there on my own,both out of respect,and it’s just too damn far,lol.....but seriously,just wouldn’t do it.
My first passion however is hunting WTs,and I’d like to be able to guide for them as well closer to home.Until Im able to put together my own outfit,my thoughts were to approach a local Outfitter or three(?)and offer my guiding services.....my scouting/my cameras/my fuel,/my legwork/my permissions.......again though,a major concern of mine is what’s to stop an Outfitter from poaching my properties out from under me.....I’m thinking I would need a carefully worded contract that prohibits solicitation of my “intellectual property”?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:45 AM

Default Guides asking

There’s been a guide from the Wainwright area hunting around Sedgewick this fall. He has gotten permission to hunt, but reglects to tell the landowners about what he’s really up too. Then the next morning there are 5 trucks parked on the road, and it sounds like world war 3 out there. I asked him why he’s hunting so far from home, and he says because this is where the birds are. I think it’s because he’s worn out his welcome closer to his home base. Also, if these dudes are pounding the birds every morning, do possession limits not apply to their hunters. Like someone said before, bad things happen when money is involved.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:08 AM

I was out at the OP's location this morning, plenty of birds, but plenty of vehicles watching them. It looks like a lot of competition in the area. I did see a lot more greenheads than a week ago.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
That sucks,I’d be choked!!
That is a concern of mine as a guide as well.As it is,I guide moose and bears for an Outfitter on Crown land in the far north.....I’m in “his territory” and that’s fine,and I would never hunt or guide there on my own,both out of respect,and it’s just too damn far,lol.....but seriously,just wouldn’t do it.
My first passion however is hunting WTs,and I’d like to be able to guide for them as well closer to home.Until Im able to put together my own outfit,my thoughts were to approach a local Outfitter or three(?)and offer my guiding services.....my scouting/my cameras/my fuel,/my legwork/my permissions.......again though,a major concern of mine is what’s to stop an Outfitter from poaching my properties out from under me.....I’m thinking I would need a carefully worded contract that prohibits solicitation of my “intellectual property”?
You want the Outfitter to sign a contract saying he won’t ask for permission to hunt land that you don’t own ?
That’s a new one for me !
If you’re that worried about it, guide somewhere else
Old 09-27-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
You want the Outfitter to sign a contract saying he won’t ask for permission to hunt land that you don’t own ?
In my situation it was the fact that the outfitter was being underhanded in how and when he was asking for permissions on lands I was guiding for his benefit. These lands were not a bunch of acres either. They were small plots of land suitable for one hunter at a time.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-27-2018, 01:45 PM

This thread seems fitting, I just found out a large portion of land got shut down by a landowner today because of dishonest outfitters.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-27-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
This thread seems fitting, I just found out a large portion of land got shut down by a landowner today because of dishonest outfitters.
Is there any other kind ? Give APOS a call.

Grizz
Old 09-27-2018, 05:49 PM

We’ve had outfitters that were banned from our lands get the client to ask for permission so they can all sneak on .
Old 09-27-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landowner View Post
We’ve had outfitters that were banned from our lands get the client to ask for permission so they can all sneak on .
Happens here too.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Then kick the bugger off your land, share with us this scums name and outfit so the clientele declines and they go tits up

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-28-2018, 08:54 AM

Grazing leases?
Old 09-28-2018, 11:57 AM

I wonder how the landowner's liability is effected when Outfitters access their land?

The Occupier's Liability Act protects the landowners from liability when people are given permission to access for non-commercial "recreational" activities.

Outfitting is NOT a non-commercial recreational activity.

Landowner's need to consider if they are putting themselves at risk by allowing Outfitting on their land.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-28-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Ummmmm....yes!!
I’ve spent a considerable amount of time and effort developing good relationships with landowners and conducting myself in a respectful manner.
Not really too interested in wasting my time and fuel hanging cameras and stands and knocking on doors then selling out my intel for a couple grand in guide wages only to come back next year and find an Outfitter hunting the land and bucks that I showed his clients the year before....so yea,yer goddam right I’d want a contact.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Ummmmm....yes!!
I’ve spent a considerable amount of time and effort developing good relationships with landowners and conducting myself in a respectful manner.
Not really too interested in wasting my time and fuel hanging cameras and stands and knocking on doors then selling out my intel for a couple grand in guide wages only to come back next year and find an Outfitter hunting the land and bucks that I showed his clients the year before....so yea,yer goddam right I’d want a contact.
Well good luck with that proposition sir, I wish you all the best in that venture. I’d suggest you stick to hunting those areas yourself, it would likely cause less hassle.
But you never know, some Outfitters do things differently