Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 PM

Default Calgary Police Officers in Serious collision

It seems someone shouldn't have taken that left turn across their path. The story didn't indicate if they were speeding to an emergency response or anything, but the fact they were travelling 5-up in a vehicle makes me think perhaps part of the tactical team? They did note the unit was unmarked.... This was on Blackfoot Trail by the truck stop in Inglewood.

Anyhow, glad to hear that the injuries aren't life threatening. Hope they all mend up well.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rash-1.2536640

Two Calgary police officers are in serious, non-life threatening condition after their unmarked van and a pick-up truck crashed in the southeast.

All five officers males on duty, in the van were taken to hospital, as well as the civilian driving the truck, said Staff Sgt. Jim Stinson.

"The two police officers with the most serious injuries — it looks like they’re going to be okay," said Stinson.

"They’ll be off duty for a little while, but they’ll be fine in the end."

The unmarked police van was going west on Blackfoot Trail when, at the intersection at 19th Street, a pick-up truck made a left-hand turn and the vehicles collided, according to police.

There's a traffic camera at the intersection, as well as several witnesses, said Stinson.

The Calgary Police Service's traffic unit will do an investigation. It's likely the incident isn't serious enough to warrant an Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) investigation, he said.

"Police work by it’s very nature can be dangerous. From time to time these sorts of things happen," said Stinson, adding he's grateful the injuries aren't worse.

“We always collect any of the firearms that they had at the time, and in this case they were on duty police officers so they were armed," he said, explaining what happens in this sort of situation. "We secure those firearms and we take them back to the office."
Old 02-13-2014, 10:09 PM

Glad to hear they are going to be okay. We often undervalue what they do and put up with on a daily basis.

What the heck is the last couple sentences talking about? Was a decent article until then. The last bit just seems sort of random...
Old 02-13-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post

. . . What the heck is the last couple sentences talking about? Was a decent article until then. The last bit just seems sort of random...
Agreed ^

CBC journalism at work??? ... your guess is as good as mine!

Mac
Old 02-13-2014, 10:16 PM

Agreed on the last comment. If it were a tac team there might have been some more interesting hardware scattered about. I'm sure there are some less desirable people who could co-incidentally be first on scene and see it as an opportunity similar to a rolled Armored car with money spilled all over going "they won't miss this" about an AR-15, etc.

It seems like a response to a question posed by der Kommisar's Broadcasting Korporation, who neglected to publish the question
Old 02-14-2014, 01:28 PM

CPS official Facebook page has now noted that it was crew of tactical officers and happily all have been released from hospital. Chevy Express van with about 950lbs+ worth of cops vs a Toyota Tacoma. There would have been some interesting hardware strewn around.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:15 PM

No kidding. Would have been interesting to see what was strewn about and certainly glad they are okay.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:52 PM

Police was probably screwing with there radio, cell
Phone and computer all at once,
Old 02-14-2014, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiandiesel View Post
Police was probably screwing with there radio, cell
Phone and computer all at once,
What a valuable addition to the discussion. thanks.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
What a valuable addition to the discussion. thanks.
I'm glad you think so
Old 02-14-2014, 07:07 PM

Its not just him, but I guess some people can't resist stirring the pot when a thread had not yet gone sideways to their liking.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:23 PM

Didn't get why there was no comments what caused the accident?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:16 PM

Default cop

obviously some people have never been t-boned by a cop chasing a speeder, Then getting a ticket for it. We all commend what they do but they are NOT ABOVE THE LAW!!!!!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 PM

It was 5 tactical officers, obviously on their way to something more important than a traffic infraction. Not proceeding on a left turn when its unsafe is pretty common knowledge. I follow the CPS on Facebook, they post helpful stuff like traffic closures, wanted persons and such:

https://www.facebook.com/CalgaryPolice

I got a kick out of this comment left on their page regarding the incident:

Connor J: "Glad to hear no ones hurt. Would hate to be the driver of the other vehicle, couldn't imagine seeing a bunch of Tac guys coming out the back of the vehicle. I'd be thinking to myself "my god, this is what it looks like when you unintentionally open a can of whoop ass"
Old 02-15-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Didn't get why there was no comments what caused the accident?
The pickup made a left hand turn in front of the van, so yes it did.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 AM

the police ran a red light, bet they do not get charged.