Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-05-2023, 06:59 PM

Default RELM Mule Deer Special License Survey

I just completed the survey. I am not sure what to make of it; on the heels of that monster recently harvested?

I wish it was more detailed and covered more areas of Alberta Antlered Mule Deer hunting along with the Special License Hunter Survey.

The Mule Deer Management Plan Committee is considering a number of possible options for future provincial-wide management of antlered mule deer.

If the $225K fee is accurate, then those hunters are playing in a whole different stratosphere than me.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-05-2023, 07:42 PM

I just did the survey.

When 50+% of mule deer coming through my shop end up positive for CWD, and it’s not hard to find 200 mule deer in an hour in late winter it’s time to start culling them. This protecting them to create a trophy hunt for the lucky draw winners or wealthy has to end.

I’ve talked to several people who used to hunt mule deer in my zone, they don’t apply and some don’t even hunt the zone anymore because of the CWD problem.

It’s time to clean up the herd. By that I mean eliminate the diseased rats. Quit protecting them and increasing the numbers or Mother Nature will take care of the problem for us. Not likely she’ll be kind.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 09-05-2023, 08:09 PM

Hmm interesting. I’m seeing far less mule deer and even less mature deer. To me it’s a shame. We have two mule buck draws this yr and I don’t think we’ll even buy the tags. We drew on a 3 but half dozen yrs ago it was a 7. So they had the system they’re now asking about. Don’t see the reason to shoot one of the few deer around, But I’ll still keep an eye out. They’re asking if I’m willing to wait longer to shoot more mature deer. The problem is the outfitters won’t need to wait longer. So they’ll keep shooting the mature deer while we wait longer ? Yes APOS is part of the survey
Old 09-05-2023, 08:49 PM

I also filled out the survey. Thought the questions were to general. The zone we've been hunting they're giving out more tags than animals.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soab View Post
Hmm interesting. I’m seeing far less mule deer and even less mature deer. To me it’s a shame. We have two mule buck draws this yr and I don’t think we’ll even buy the tags. We drew on a 3 but half dozen yrs ago it was a 7. So they had the system they’re now asking about. Don’t see the reason to shoot one of the few deer around, But I’ll still keep an eye out. They’re asking if I’m willing to wait longer to shoot more mature deer. The problem is the outfitters won’t need to wait longer. So they’ll keep shooting the mature deer while we wait longer ? Yes APOS is part of the survey

APOS runs the show in AB and nothing here will change as long as they do. To have their insider Loewen sitting as a minister and free to structure departments as he sees fit the way he has is a complete joke. If Smith can't see this as a conflict of interest shes either blind, dumber than dirt, or just doesn't care.
Old 09-05-2023, 10:46 PM

Id be willing to wait an extra 3 years for a mule buck tag so we can have more animals running around...The amount of mule tags ,espicially doe's given out in some wmu's is mind blowing.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:23 PM

It's all relative to the area/WMU you are talking about.

40 years ago we'd see herds of 15-20 mulies in the Judy Creek area.

Over the years their numbers just dwindled, displaced or bred out(?) by whitetails.

Now we see the odd mulie, that's all. And that's with the zones I hunt being on draw now for years.

You'd be nuts to put in for a draw in 349-350-351 unless you stumbled onto a cranker and had a good idea on being able to target a specific buck.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 09-06-2023, 09:05 PM

I filled it out. My feel was it was curious how much longer would you be willing to wait in order to get a mature deer. It also was curious about my perception of harvest rates and what I thought. I’m glad they even asked.

As for CWD, I’m really not sure what is the right solution. As far as we know it’s 100% fatal. The prions stay in the soil for decades, the prions are found in plants that grow and can infect. So nuking a herd is a great strategy for slowing spread, but it won’t stop it.

Some people think it’s best to let it run its course, if there are deer that are able to be uninflected then their genetics will dominate if they are allowed to reproduce. So if you nuke a herd you might nuke the solution. Problem with this theory is there are lots of ifs and it’s based on nothing.

CWD sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2023, 09:12 PM

I filled out the Mule deer survey also. In my estimation far too many tags are given out where we hunt in the southeast part of the province. Along with CWD you are seeing a vast reduction in the deer populations from years past.

My occupation affords me an abundance of field time throughout the year and there is no doubt a significant population decline has occurred. As crazy as it sounds more mature deer are being seen in the city than afield.

While discussing this situation with one of our older hunting partners, who has a book Mule deer to his credit long ago. He has also echoed the need to change the current system to better protect and preserve wildlife for the future. It wasn’t too long ago 3 point or better bucks afforded you the opportunity to see many mature deer.

Hopefully the survey does some good. As a change must occur. Unfortunately
how that will look is anyone’s guess.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:25 PM

Way too many tags given out. 350 antlered tags and 800 antlerless tags in some zones. Let nature take its course cut the tags back. Make it an enjoyable hunt again where you can see some old bucks.
Old 09-06-2023, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby cat View Post
I filled out the Mule deer survey also. In my estimation far too many tags are given out where we hunt in the southeast part of the province. Along with CWD you are seeing a vast reduction in the deer populations from years past.

My occupation affords me an abundance of field time throughout the year and there is no doubt a significant population decline has occurred. As crazy as it sounds more mature deer are being seen in the city than afield.

While discussing this situation with one of our older hunting partners, who has a book Mule deer to his credit long ago. He has also echoed the need to change the current system to better protect and preserve wildlife for the future.

It wasn’t too long ago 3 point or better bucks afforded you the opportunity to see many mature deer.

I've literally never heard this before.
I hunted the general 3 point season many years. '
In some wmu's, despite seeing upwards of hundreds of mule deer in a day, I Never saw a legal 3 point that wasn't 2 years old.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-07-2023, 09:57 AM

Any zone that takes a resident 4 or more years to draw in , should have ZERO outfitter tags.
Old 09-07-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:

While discussing this situation with one of our older hunting partners, who has a book Mule deer to his credit long ago. He has also echoed the need to change the current system to better protect and preserve wildlife for the future. It wasn’t too long ago 3 point or better bucks afforded you the opportunity to see many mature deer.

Research antler restrictions in relation to deer hunting you will find lots of studies that show it’s not the best option

If you want more big bucks is more of a matter of shooting less bucks so more meet maturity. But there is the CWD factor that I won’t touch on as I lack enough knowledge to truly get into it

Personally not a fan of the big increase in tag numbers and have been hearing the results from friends in Southern Alberta. There is now some landowners and hudderit colonies that no longer give permission because of the doe harvest from what my friends are saying. Or they are not allowing the harvest of does on their land. There is a portion of landowners are strongly in opposition for sure
Old 09-07-2023, 10:38 AM

Im always cautious regarding these surveys.

I used the comments section to its max.

I wait 5-6 years for a tag. I have never utilized the landowner tag system, but I will from this season on.
Old 09-07-2023, 10:57 AM

Anyone have a link to the survey? Can't seem to find it.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:32 AM

Quote:

All I ever witnessed with 3 point restrictions was deer killed and not retrieved because they did not meet the 3 point minimum.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:47 AM

Cwd is high in my area and mule deer numbers are significantly down, I’m not sure what the solution is but killing all of them doesn’t seem to be reducing the amount of cwd in the herd, the % keeps going up. The only reason I see to kill off a bunch of deer at this point is if they have some sort of cure/medical intervention and they need low numbers to allow distribution to the remaining animals and allow them to come back from there. Right now for the most part this “slowing the spread” is simply killing everything off and having nothing to show for it.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:53 AM

i cant find this survey. anyone have a link?
Old 09-07-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildalberta View Post
I believe it was only sent to a select group. I cant seem to find it in my email anymore but I believe it said I received it because I was awarded a Mule Buck tag last year.
Old 09-07-2023, 01:12 PM

ah gotcha that makes sence i guess. no one else would have input im sure.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildalberta View Post
https://www.ab-conservation.com/feat...rxK1DDtnSBNnRk

Guessing my answers will be different than the freezer fillers
Old 09-07-2023, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

I suspect.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:51 PM

I have a mule deer tag along with my two sons for the a southern zone this fall. We went shed hunting for three solid days and found 137 antlers, with about 90 being fresh from this last winter. The biggest ones would have not been much over 150" on the hoof last fall. We are not expecting many, if any 170" plus deer around this fall. I'm getting old and am still holding out for a 185" plus before it goes on the wall. My hopes are fading. Yes, I did the survey, and I'll wait 5 extra years if it gives me even a small chance at a monster.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post

Thanks for the link filled it out

Yeah I am not looking for a meat hunt applying for an antlered mule deer tag. May not have as high of standards as some but still looking for a mature buck. Lots of better options general season and draw for a meat hunt if I am going out with that goal
Old 09-07-2023, 08:58 PM

Default Survey

I’m in, in favour of quality.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:02 PM

I am in favor of a quality hunt not an over run gong show. A good balance of age classes and not feeling over crowded is what I would like to see
Old 09-07-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry D View Post
I have a mule deer tag along with my two sons for the a southern zone this fall. We went shed hunting for three solid days and found 137 antlers, with about 90 being fresh from this last winter. The biggest ones would have not been much over 150" on the hoof last fall. We are not expecting many, if any 170" plus deer around this fall. I'm getting old and am still holding out for a 185" plus before it goes on the wall. My hopes are fading. Yes, I did the survey, and I'll wait 5 extra years if it gives me even a small chance at a monster.
Wouldn't need an extra 5 years if they quit handing out doe tags like candy at Halloween. THAT is the problem
Old 09-07-2023, 09:20 PM

Same as above. I curl with an ACA bio. Definitely will inquire about the survey.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:28 PM

Problem is in a lot of the southern zones the bucks aren’t living long enough to become monsters because of CWD.

Far and few between.
Old 09-07-2023, 10:21 PM

There is an abundance of MD in the local areas I hunt. There is no reason to maintain 5 points to draw an antlered MD tag. Three points at the most would still yield a healthy population. I'm not in favour of adding on years of priority in order to score a "trophy" buck.